WARNING: Gun must be empty and chamber open (Gun Stores/Ranges)

This is a discussion on WARNING: Gun must be empty and chamber open (Gun Stores/Ranges) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you are carrying concealed and walk into a gun store, who is this sign supposed to be addressing? The person bringing their gun into ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WARNING: Gun must be empty and chamber open (Gun Stores/Ranges)

WARNING: Gun must be empty and chamber open (Gun Stores/Ranges)

If you are carrying concealed and walk into a gun store, who is this sign supposed to be addressing? The person bringing their gun into the range? Yes. The person wanting to trade or sell a gun? Yes. The person wanting the gunsmith to add sights, do trigger work, or refinish the slide? Yes.

How about someone who is carrying concealed? I would think, No. How about that same person shooting at the range? Again. I would say No.

What is the right answer for my questions regarding the person with a concealed carry license?
    NRA, Lifetime Member

2. Remove Ads

I guess it depends of the state laws.

Here in Minnesota the Gun Ban signs don't carry any weight, and I will not disarm myself when entering a gun dealer.

My guess is they address people who are not CC customers; don't want accidents to happen with "unloaded" firearms.

my 2 cents
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.” -- Cicero

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I think that if your just shopping, your fine.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I have a shop nearby that has a sign requesting guns to be unloaded. At first I was fairly upset and then realized that, based on NC laws, they aren't posting "no guns", hence no CC. The request is somewhere in the fuzzy middle ground. The more I've gotten to know them I realize that they don't expect you to leave your weapon in the bar or carry CC unloaded. They just don't want Billy Bob walking in w/his rusty 270 w/one in the pipe.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    If they truly mean what they say, what activities do they allow on the range?

You should be asking management at the store where the sign is posted.
    Their store, their rules. Your choice to shop there or not.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Who is the sign addressing? All the customers and visitors I would presume...

Either ignore the sign...it means nothing, or find another gun shop/range to spend your money at (which would be my option).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In Florida? I've been in such places and asked about the signs. What they don't want is to have someone bring in a gun to trade/sell with bullets in it. They don't want someone carrying a loaded shotgun into the store. These things happen (or so they say) and so they put up the sign. They see a lot of careless handling. A well-concealed carry is not a concern, because they don't know. And I've never been into a shop where the staff weren't armed (openly, concealed, or both). One favorite shop of mine even has a video system being monitored by an armed employee. Knowing that, the chance of getting a bad MWAG reaction at a posted location is pretty high, so if they don't know you it's probably safer to shop elsewhere.

FL gun shows are also generally posted, and the sign itself means nothing (IANAL) but the LEO at the door has authority to tell me to disarm, so I do.

Most ranges have similar signs, and that's where the idea gets sticky. The sign has no validity, but it's generally unsafe to draw or holster a 4 o'clock handgun when someone is at your side. Muzzle control is the concern. So, yes, I carry to the range, but typically shoot a different weapon than the one I'm wearing.

I can imagine someone posting a sign that says don't carry at her range, then you come in and draw from the hip... might tend to tick her off and get you barred from the place -- not worth the hassle. I remember one range downstate requiring me to show them the gun and ammo before entering the lanes. They claimed they needed to make sure it was safe and complied with their caliber criteria. Seemed odd but no harm done. (I didn't show them the one under my belt; concealed is concealed)

I think insurance liability is the driving force behind these signs.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I think insurance liability is the driving force behind these signs.
    True. Having worked at an indoor range/gunshop and witnessing two negligent discharges in the shop and one in the parking lot, the idiot factor comes into play too.

Same sad old story that cannot be repeated too much, despite all of those posted and printed and televised stories about such and similar unfortunate accidents and mistakes that a few people occasionally make, some by "experienced professional veteran" people who know better.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Here in Washington State, a sign like that (or a prohibition means) nothing. If the owner asks you to leave (for any reason) you must comply.

I have seen some dumb people in gun stores trying to load/unload whatever firearm they happen to have bought or brought in to pawn... it is far from safe.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by FLSquirrelHunter View Post
    In Florida? I've been in such places and asked about the signs. What they don't want is to have someone bring in a gun to trade/sell with bullets in it. They don't want someone carrying a loaded shotgun into the store. These things happen (or so they say) and so they put up the sign. They see a lot of careless handling. A well-concealed carry is not a concern, because they don't know. And I've never been into a shop where the staff weren't armed (openly, concealed, or both). One favorite shop of mine even has a video system being monitored by an armed employee. Knowing that, the chance of getting a bad MWAG reaction at a posted location is pretty high, so if they don't know you it's probably safer to shop elsewhere.

FL gun shows are also generally posted, and the sign itself means nothing (IANAL) but the LEO at the door has authority to tell me to disarm, so I do.

Most ranges have similar signs, and that's where the idea gets sticky. The sign has no validity, but it's generally unsafe to draw or holster a 4 o'clock handgun when someone is at your side. Muzzle control is the concern. So, yes, I carry to the range, but typically shoot a different weapon than the one I'm wearing.

I can imagine someone posting a sign that says don't carry at her range, then you come in and draw from the hip... might tend to tick her off and get you barred from the place -- not worth the hassle. I remember one range downstate requiring me to show them the gun and ammo before entering the lanes. They claimed they needed to make sure it was safe and complied with their caliber criteria. Seemed odd but no harm done. (I didn't show them the one under my belt; concealed is concealed)
    I'm in FL too, and was wondering if it's not against the law how exactly does a LEO have authority to disarm people at a gun show? I'm not a cop hater, I want to be a police officer, but I just don't get it.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    I'm in FL too, and was wondering if it's not against the law how exactly does a LEO have authority to disarm people at a gun show? I'm not a cop hater, I want to be a police officer, but I just don't get it.
    They do not have the authority to disarm you, only to ensure you are not armed before entering the gun show. Its true in Florida "No Gun" signs have no legal standing, but the owner of a establishment has the right to request you are unarmed. If you do not unarm it's trespassing.

I prefer this and personally respect "no gun" signs. It's 10 times better then say the 30.06 signs in Texas.
    EDIT: We also have the right to take our business elsewhere.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Simple--ask the store owner. Go from there.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links