Concealed carry and blocked pocket in WM

This is a discussion on Concealed carry and blocked pocket in WM within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A couple of days ago I decided to go to local Wally-World after work. I can't carry during work days due to company policy (company ...

Thread: Concealed carry and blocked pocket in WM

A couple of days ago I decided to go to local Wally-World after work. I can't carry during work days due to company policy (company property....), but generally like to carry at other times. The pants I had on weren't sized for IWB carry, so I put my DeSantis pancake holster on my belt with XDm .40 at kidney position, and untucked my t-shirt so I could cover it. It prints a bit, but not too bad.

No problem while shopping, but when I got to the register to pay, I realized that the bottom of the holster was almost competely obstructing my back pocket which is where my wallet was. There was some housewife yacking on a cell phone behind me in line, and there I was wiggling my wallet, pocket, belt, and "bulge" trying to covertly get the wallet around the holster for what seemed like 5 minutes (ok... maybe 30seconds) so I could pay. I finally got the wallet free and paid, without having to fully expose the holster/gun and no comments from anyone, so it was cool. However, I was miffed at myself for forgetting to switch my wallet to the other pocket while carrying with those pants.

Reminder to self: when carrying make sure wallet, keys, etc. are in pockets that are not obstructed by the holster or gun, so that 1) don't sweep fingers past muzzle to access pocket 2) don't have to mess with the holster/gun to pay at stores 3) can access ID for LEO's etc. without making a "drawing motion" near the gun.

That's why I try to not CC OWB.
    Last edited by trekkiejt; May 22nd, 2010 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Spleling eror.
    ‎"When the need for my gun is abated I will lay it down freely, but until that day comes not even Satan himself could pry it from my cold dead hands."

That is why I keep my wallet in front pocket on a chain ; ) Works for me!!
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I do understand the problem.

You just need some 'planning ahead'. Your mode of carry is not the problem. Before leaving the house (not at the store), decide where your wallet should be...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Remember the 6 P's...prior planning prevents piss poor performance! I've been in your shoes!! The light bulb comes on far too late.
    Courage: "Do not follow where the path may lead...go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Retired Army, Infantry
    NRA Life Member

Lesson learned, thanks for the reminder.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

I've had a similar problem, I carry between 3 - 4 IWB and depending on the pants I'm wearing I sometimes have a tough time getting in to my right front pocket, so I have to do some minor adjustments, definitely need to plan ahead.

VIP Member
    It was just a few days after I started carrying that I switch to a front pocket wallet. I got rid of a lot of junk from my old wallet too!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

What I do is have a Mikes #1 ankle holster in every vehicle I own. That way I almost always have a way to properly conceal, even if it is less than ideally on my ankle. Wearing shorts obviously breaks down my system, but most of the time, I'm covered.

One of the reason's I like to appendix carry is there is no interfearence with my wallet. I can rapidly access the weapon and have control over it if defending it is ever needed. You can always tell if you are printing or showing from that posistion. My .02.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Started carrying my wallet in my left hip pocket (I am right handed) way back when I started carrying.

Always seemed a no-brainer to me.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist77 View Post
    Reminder to self: when carrying make sure wallet, keys, etc. are in pockets that are not obstructed by the holster or gun, so that 1) don't sweep fingers past muzzle to access pocket 2) don't have to mess with the holster/gun to pay at stores 3) can access ID for LEO's etc. without making a "drawing motion" near the gun.
    That should be your "zeroth rule" of situational awareness.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

That's why I wear relaxed fit jeans with deep pockets. The Carhart jeans work well. I'll put my wallet in my front pocket (plus its more comfortable when driving) and I'll carry at the 3-330 position IWB. Plus with IWB you never have to worry about exposing the bottom of your holster.

Sponsored Links