Chicago could require gun owners get training, liability insurance if handgun ban ove

This is a discussion on Chicago could require gun owners get training, liability insurance if handgun ban ove within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A few years ago, I owned rental property in Florida, PB County. It had a well and a water plant which had to be inspected ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chicago could require gun owners get training, liability insurance if handgun ban ove

jfl
    A few years ago, I owned rental property in Florida, PB County.
    It had a well and a water plant which had to be inspected every month for $250 a pop. The inspection was a 5 minutes deal mainly checking the water with test strips.
    I inquired how I could become a certified inspector (would save me $3000 a year).
    It is a very easy course with an easy exam.
    So I asked when was the next exam; answer, in 18 months if we have at least 6 applications.
    That's how requiring training can actually prohibit something.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

2. Remove Ads

I get the feeling the reason Daley don't want anybody to have a gun is because he has a big ole bulls-eye on his back and he's afraid someone will take a pop at him.

Chicago, like DC, thinks none of that stuff applies to them and they'll do what they want.... and no one will tell them differently.

Learning, will be slow.... but it will occur.

I do like you colorful descriptions; however

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    If you haven't lived there for an extended period of time, you simply cannot understand the depth of the communal malice that exists there. There is mutual intergroup hatred of the kind you'd expect in Northern Ireland or Rwanda.

The average Chicagoan of whatever race, ethnicity or religion will placidly tolerate you stealing his last $5 at gunpoint, so long as he believes that you're going to use $4.98 of it to harm some group of people he doesn't like.

Nor can you adequately grasp the all pervasive corruption. If your local police department hasn't had a home invasion/burglary/kidnapping ring operating INSIDE it, and in the most "elite" unit to boot, you don't REALLY understand Chicago.

The western concept of rational-logical thought is simply alien there. A couple of guys shot and killed an off-duty cop for his motorcycle last week. His father, a retired cop came out and shot them both, killing one of them. The mother of one of the imbecile holdup men criticized the father for not "wounding" her son instead of killing him... after he'd just murdered a cop. Nevermind the fact that if you'd shot those two while they were dismembering your two year old daughter with chainsaws, that cop who was murdered would have arrested YOU.

That's Chicago.
    De, I'm convinced that you know the rotten Chicago politics and describe them colorfully and honestly. Chicago sucks for sure.

I like your 'say-it-as-it-is' style, yet I'd like to see this dialogue to continue in less confrontational manner. I hope you understand what I mean.

I'm all for free speech, the more the better.

Stay safe
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.Ē -- Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    I would really hate to see the insurance portion of this, it would be astranomical in my view.

I'm not suggesting such mandatory requirements are reasonable, but I'm thinking some pro-gun groups might find a way of providing coverage. Might not be as costly as it might appear.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    I'm not suggesting such mandatory requirements are reasonable, but I'm thinking some pro-gun groups might find a way of providing coverage. Might not be as costly as it might appear.
    I would sure hope so Thanis, I was just thinking of how they could prevent that from happening. If he or his cronies could figure out a way of keeping that from happening, I'm sure they will try.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    I would sure hope so Thanis, I was just thinking of how they could prevent that from happening. If he or his cronies could figure out a way of keeping that from happening, I'm sure they will try.
    You can bet your last dime that that's the kind of thing that Daley would throw to somebody connected to him, instead of somebody who could do it right. And that would be mandated by LAW. I guarantee you that if Daley's involved, it will lose money or the money will be stolen, AND it will be incompetently and corruptly run.

Watch and see if those with Daley connections don't either end up with fake insurance certificates or real insurance with premiums of -$0-. Those "overhead" costs will be shifted to the average citizen. The whole thing will eventually collapse and the taxpayers will end up bailing it out.

After Heller, Daley could have returned to the system in place in 1970 and criticism would have been muted at best. Instead, it's scorched earth all the way. There's no compromise with him. The only thing that's going to work with him is complete and utter defeat of any and everything he proposes, and by necessity in court.

The up side is that Chicago's legal brief is so laughable and it's been presented so ineptly, that Daley will singlehandedly be responsible for the dismantling of the most repressive gun controls everywhere in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    training is a back door ban on the low income....
    That's an interesting point. I'll have to remember that one.

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    training is a back door ban on the low income....
    Agreed, although I'd say more so the personal liability insurance will be most effective to that end.

A training requirement involves one to two hundred dollars as a one time in life fee.

While the personal liability insurance is an annualized cost typically in the two hundred dollars (very low estimate) or more range.
    How many poor, working poor, single parents, and fixed income people (elderly) have that kind of money to drop on something that in essence does not gain them anything tangible, and as on an annual basis?

People in very large numbers do not for auto, homeowners or major medical insurance...This is something that just ain't gonna happen for a whole mess of people functionally restricting them as due to cost.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    A training requirement involves one to two hundred dollars as a one time in life fee.
    How do you know that?

Why WOULDN'T Daley require annual training, and that which exceeds that required for the Chicago PD? Because it would be "wrong"?

Don't think for one moment that this has ANYTHING to do with "safety".

It's about turning a right into a PRIVILEGE doled out on the basis of "clout".

The leading village idiot in Chicago can't tell his head from his backside! Fine, have training and have a registration that occurs as you obtain the gun or sell it to another person. HOWEVER this idiot will push to require one to register, train, and pay a tax every year you own the gun! And whatever other idiotic stunts he can pull! I lived in Illinois for 2 years and I was more than glad to get out of there and live in a place where I can obtain my CCW permit and protect my family! Boss Daily will push the most unbelievable requirements on people! Just Watch!!!
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

... and yet the criminals will still shoot people and not carry insurance or pay for training

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    How do you know that?

Why WOULDN'T Daley require annual training, and that which exceeds that required for the Chicago PD? Because it would be "wrong"?

Don't think for one moment that this has ANYTHING to do with "safety".

It's about turning a right into a PRIVILEGE doled out on the basis of "clout".
    Generally even among very anti states no such repeat course requirement is involved nor required.

Now annual or some modification there of toward a qualification is one thing, and I'd expect that to pass muster as being 'reasonable'.
    But training...No, not at all.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Generally even among very anti states no such repeat course requirement is involved nor required.

Now annual or some modification there of toward a qualification is one thing, and I'd expect that to pass muster as being 'reasonable'.
    But training...No, not at all.

- Janq
    But you cannot forget that Chicago is THE most anti-gun place in the country, with a mayor with absolutely no respect for the law OR the rights of the public.

I'm not saying that he'll win in the end. I'm saying that he'll play this like the Japanese in 1945. I have no doubt that like the Japanese, he thinks that if he causes enough senseless suffering, he can get better "terms".

The court fight with Daley is going to have to be fought like Iwo Jima and Okinawa: a methodical campaign of extermination of each and every one of his frivolous ploys. The key will be to cost the city more money than it has to spend. The city's tottering on the brink of bankruptcy and anarchy as it is. If it's a push they want, give it to them, good and hard.

VIP Member
    Who said organized crime has disappeared. The title just changed from Godfather to Mayor.

BTW -- Griffworks

Quote Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post
    I'd like to clarify something I said earlier about training....

What I mean is that there should be required training in every state for CHL/P. To me, you need to be conversant w/the laws, how to better carry concealed and how to properly employ/operate your firearm before you are licensed to carry same in a concealed fashion.

As long as folk keep bring this idea of proir restraint of 2A I guess I need to reply.

So I've said before -- For the record, I'm on the side of "There should be no prior restraints on ANY constitutional Right -- including the RKBA and to defend yourself with a firearm. NO constitutionally protected rights should even require a permit or license or training or proficiency test to exercise."

I do agree that training should be encouraged.

Apply all these pro-permit or license or pro-required-training or pro-required-proficiency test to any other constitutionally protected rights and it becomes clear why they don't fly.

A government-issued permit or license or a government designed-required-training or government designed-required-proficiency-test to exercise religion? Yeah, Right!!

A government-issued permit or license or a government designed-required-training or government designed-required-proficiency test to exercise the right of (free???) speech? Yeah, Right!!

A government-issued permit or license or a government designed-required-training or government designed-required-proficiency test to exercise the right of a (free???) press? Yeah, Right!!

A government-issued permit or license or a government designed-required-training or government designed-required-proficiency test before you can assemble, or petition the Government for a redress of grievances? Yeah, Right!!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links