Appendix carry: what is the longest barrel length to be practical?

This is a discussion on Appendix carry: what is the longest barrel length to be practical? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Dear experts, If I know I won't be sitting for long periods, the appendix carry is tolerable for me when the barrel is even as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Appendix carry: what is the longest barrel length to be practical?

Dear experts,

If I know I won't be sitting for long periods, the appendix carry is tolerable for me when the barrel is even as long as a Glock 23. However, it is not ideal if I would be sitting for dinner or going for a long drive. In those cases, my Snubby is the best option and the Glock goes to the 4:00 position.

For someone considering appendix carry ITWB, what is the longest barrel length that you consider practical and comfortable? For me, the answer is 3" with my Galco StowNGo. I was just curious about your experience. Certainly if there are better ITWB holsters for appendix carry with longer barreled pistols, I am open to those suggestions.

Thank you.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

The only way I can be comfortable with appendix carry is with a snubbie of sort or at the biggest semi - auto my bersa 380 especially when sitting the more compact the handgun the more comfortable you will be IMHO.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    Dear experts,

If I know I won't be sitting for long periods, the appendix carry is tolerable for me when the barrel is even as long as a Glock 23. However, it is not ideal if I would be sitting for dinner or going for a long drive. In those cases, my Snubby is the best option and the Glock goes to the 4:00 position.

For someone considering appendix carry ITWB, what is the longest barrel length that you consider practical and comfortable? For me, the answer is 3" with my Galco StowNGo. I was just curious about your experience. Certainly if there are better ITWB holsters for appendix carry with longer barreled pistols, I am open to those suggestions.

Thank you.
    Seems to me it isn't the barrel length but the length of the whole slide (for a semi-auto). I carry a G26 at about 1 o'clock and have for years; sitting or whatever, no problem. Great for driving, just pull the cover shirt behind the gun and it is a snap to draw. From what most people say, whether you can do this or not is mostly a function of how big of a gut you have.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

I've carried my G23 appendix plenty. It's about the limit for me and leaves a mark on my lower abdomen when sitting for long periods. No issues carrying my G27 appendix all day long though.

I carry a G27 appendix in an IWB hoslter (CompTac MTAC) and can get away with a G23 in an OWB holster (Mitch Rosen Upper Limit). However, my appendix carry is more at 2:00 so it is out of the way of my medium sized belly.
    NRA Life Member

I don't think I would want to go beyond 3" if I didn't have to, I'm sure it can, and is done. I move around a lot, and sit as well, while carrying an MK9 or XD9SC appendix often in Highnoon Mr. Softy's with no problems at all.

The most comfortable appendix is my j frame. The shape of the 442 fits well.

I appx-carry a G27 in a C-Tac every day without any problems, but would not go any larger.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I carried a G17 for over two years like that.

Being male I wish there was a finite black and white answer.

For moi it takes a balance of where the waistline of the pants sits, the depth of the holster, and the length of the barrel.

For one of those reasons I find the G26/G27/P2000SK to sometimes be too short and flop over can occur.

For one of those reasons I the find the G19/G23/P2000 to sometimes be too long and appendix stab can occur.

I've had zero success with duty size Glock's and 5" 1911's.
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

I have no problem with a G17, though I usually carry the 19 since the shorter grip is slightly easier to conceal. I've carried in the appendix position for about 2 years now and have no problem when sitting, driving, on the motorcycle...whatever.

A few holsters that I have either owned or tried that work for me with the above weapons are the "Cover Up" from Tucker Gunleather, the "Mr. Softy" from High Noon Holsters, and the "Archangel" from Dale Fricke. The Cover-up is the one I currently use
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    3"....

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar

Length & appendix carry

I agree with the people who said Glock 26/27, that's it for me.

I'm with the G26 crowd (I also carry my 640 at times), but "professionals" appear to be able to carry any full-size firearms without a problem really depends on the holster.

It takes a week or so to get used to.

Good luck with the appendix carry, really an excellent option.

ARCHANGEL APPENDIX CARRY AIWB (Appendix Inside the Waist Band)

090420082323_hooker
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.” -- Cicero

For me the G17 seems to be the limit. At that point it goes from being comfortable to comforting..

This is when the firearm is worn such that the grip is raised above the beltline. If you are for some reason attempting to stuff the handgun as far down your pants as it will possibly get then yes, you are going to have issues carrying it. It's gonna poke your bones while sitting. It is also gonna be difficult to draw at any pace faster than a snail.

To those of you having trouble with G19/G17 length handguns - what carry solution are you using to hold the gun?

My Glock 26 is comfortable. My S&W M13-1 with a 4" barrel is not. I guess somewhere in between would be my limit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links