CHL holder arrested for carrying at a gas station

This is a discussion on CHL holder arrested for carrying at a gas station within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This has been going on for a couple of days now--A member of the OhioCCWforums was felony-stopped by police who pointed an AR-15 at him, ...

Thread: CHL holder arrested for carrying at a gas station

CHL holder arrested for carrying at a gas station

This has been going on for a couple of days now--A member of the OhioCCWforums was felony-stopped by police who pointed an AR-15 at him, and arrested for openly carrying handguns at a gas station, even though he has an Ohio CHL. Ohio allows open carry, and in fact requires either open carry or secured storage while in a motor vehicle. Our CHL law preempts municipal ordinances that ban concealed carry. He temporarily lost his CHL, but has since had it returned by the Sheriff. The Oregon Police still have his guns, however several members of the forum have offered loaners.

http://www.ohioccw.org/index.php?opt...3613&Itemid=83

There's a lot about this that amazes me--Since they claim that his possession of handguns is illegal to begin with despite his CHL (which they were aware of, and tried to confiscate even though only the issuing sheriff has that right), the second charge of failure to notify becomes "failure to self-incriminate".

2. Remove Ads

And to think they couldda been out partrolling bed neighborhoods, etc...

Lead Moderator
    sounds like lawsuit time.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Wow! Talk about over-reacting. If citizens need to know the law then maybe the police should give it a looking over as well. It amazes me to see how many times police and the general public freak out about open carry. Its not a big deal around here but theres always a post somewhere about something similar to this. I wouldnt mind open carry but its incidents like this that make me carry concealed all the time. And on a final thought about this - Ohio has some really fruity gun laws too.

Olathe, KS has open carry but you never see anyone do it. I called the police to confirm open carry and they confirmed that it is legal and can be done, but, more than likely someone would call the police before I got very far and the duty shift sargent said that they would have to do felony stop and prone me out on the ground, take my weapon, and would have to question me. Now all of this sounds funny considering it IS legal to open carry. I have not questioned the police about there methods yet. You would think they would just tell the caller that it is legal and to go about their business or leave the area. Police are goofy sometimes.
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

Links