More on Gun Show Carry, and Req. for Comments

This is a discussion on More on Gun Show Carry, and Req. for Comments within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm fortunate in that the folks who check and band guns at the entrance to my favorite and main gun show are the same people ...

Thread: More on Gun Show Carry, and Req. for Comments

More on Gun Show Carry, and Req. for Comments

I'm fortunate in that the folks who check and band guns at the entrance to my favorite and main gun show are the same people I help assist on firing line instruction for CCW permits and self defense training.

They would probably be quite unhappy with me if I unloaded, though they could never say that out loud. All other shows, I disarm like everybody else. Bad feeling.

But now comes another issue that explains the last statement:
    Bangers at gunshows.

Once upon a time, gunshows were comfortable, safe places for gun people. Then came the dedicated anti-gunners who would leave live ammo in display guns, hopeful of killing someone in the name of making the world a safe, gun-free one.

Now the bangers. I saw one last weekend walking around with a pump 12 ga., stock sawed off at pistol grip, black electrical tape to finish it off with that "professional" touch. A shame that it had on enough barrel to make overall length minimums.

They also wear the usual very large, very baggy, very bulky clothing totally unneeded for warmth, that you could conceal a CJ5 under.

This makes me nervous, and I hope the gun shows will do two things:

1. Immediately clear all CWP holders to stay in-mode, though no gun handling, that is for parking lot in vehicle.
    2. I'd be OK with an archway and a wand, but I know some of you will howl over this.

Whaddayou'se think about that second one?

B.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.-- Yoda
    G4W is now, be "Vigilant Always" - Bruce, (vet)USASA, NRA, IDPA, USPSA, IHMSA, & USCCA!

2. Remove Ads

While one part of my brain understands why you can't carry into a gun show (or a gun shop, for that matter) it seems to another part of my brain a bit strange.

The staff in the shops I frequent all carry openly and I imagine a BUG someplace. Haven't been to a gun show yet, but would think something similar.

I'd vote for letting CHL folks to keep carrying. Other threads on the board point out that these are the most responsible people with handguns anyway. We check our weapons, practice, clean, etc., all the time. And we generally don't want to ever have actually shoot someone, though we will if it comes to it.

Seems like the most responsible people are the ones that would be the ones you'd like to have armed. I know I feel better about going into Wally World now that I know it is a place where CWLs roam.

Same for the gun show. I imagine there are a few nuts though who would cause havoc. So that's the other side of my brain doing its thing.

The question becomes, to me, does the risk of a nut outweigh the risk of having a bunch of CWLs running around a gun show?
    Armed & Dangerous...and Inconspicuous...

The gunshow I frequent usually has at least 4 police officers present at all times. I don't like to leave my gun in the car, but have no other choice. As to the antis loading pistols at shows to cause problems, a very good friend of mine asked to examine a .45 at a show, and when given permission, picked up the gun, racked the slide, and had a round eject. The show staff immediately made an announcement to all vendors to check their display weapons, but found no other loaded ones. Anyone with a ccw would check the weapon before anything else, but some of the folks at gunshows aren't that conversant with firearms, and could possibly have "tried the trigger": I am VERY watchful at show now.

Assistant Administrator
    Those who run shows and make the assessment, do I guess work on a ''worst case scenario'' as well as maybe insurance coverage issues.

Agencyman's mention of the ''banger'' types is valid tho I rather doubt there'd be too many fitting that bill who had legit CCW's. Those types tho do give me some cause for unease I admit. Their main dictum is ''macho''

In principle I'd like to see genuine (permit shown) CCW's allowed to follow their rightful carry but - and this where I suspect is the rub - to the organizers there is still a chance (outside chance maybe) of a CCW wanting to try his gun in a new rig - check fit of an after market mag' - etc, and just possibly is on that day other than up to speed on his safety.

A case maybe of playing to the lowest common denominator - as a ''play safe'' drill.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Carrying at a gun show is a touchy thing. I've done it, but then again it was at small, local gun shows held in fairly remote locations with not so high attendance. If its a large show then Im all for leaving the piece at home or in the car. There are too many people in too close of a space to responsibly use a handgun if needed. I doubt even the dumbest criminal would try to hold up a vendor at a gun show so I'd say the threat of that is pretty slim. As for the potential of rounds being slipped into guns on display - I say its quite possible, but anyone at these shows SHOULD know and practice the basics of gun handling. Mainly controlling the muzzle direction and making sure there are no rounds in the firearm. The basics really go a long way.

Emphasis on Item #2

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    ... This makes me nervous, and I hope the gun shows will do two things:

1. Immediately clear all CWP holders to stay in-mode, though no gun handling, that is for parking lot in vehicle.
    2. I'd be OK with an archway and a wand, but I know some of you will howl over this.

Whaddayou'se think about that second one?
    I sorta failed to draw attention to the question.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.-- Yoda
    G4W is now, be "Vigilant Always" - Bruce, (vet)USASA, NRA, IDPA, USPSA, IHMSA, & USCCA!

Assistant Administrator
    I'd be OK with an archway and a wand, but I know some of you will howl over this.
    Hmmm yes - this got forgotten.

I have an ambivalence here. In as much as this is possibly going way over the top. I cannot feel overly concerned about folks with their EDC folders - those would register - plus of course at many shows people are bringing in something gunny they hope to sell.

As ever the problem is penalizing the many for the (possible) faults of the few. It does seem excessive right now to me, even tho it could or would all but guarantee no ''smuggled'' items!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Oooh, my bad - I did overlook that part. I think the wand and arch is a tad bit too much. I think a sign would be sufficient. There are a few gun shops in the area that have signs stating "feel free to carry here but please leave weapons secured in a holster." Im not aware of any problems to date with this policy.

VIP Member

I understand the worry over 'bangers' & other...

...miscriants. At the shows I go to in Richmond, Va, there are a lot of them that show up. The LEOs in attendance also take notice. All the shows in Richmond have uniformed LEOs (not mall ninjas) at the door & patrolling inside. So if some ner'do'well were to go nuts, I'll be looking for cover as I reload my weapon OR going for my BUG.

The problem with allowing permit holders to continue to carry is: What happens when they/you find a new-fangled, wiz-bang, gotta have it, want to try it holster or accessory? You're SOL because your's is loaded & you can't touch it , until you go outside, unload it & come back in....then, guess what? You now have an unloaded weapon, which is where you could have been already.

Some of the other reasons, like people with poor safety skills, I covered in the other post....
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...t=10550&page=2

It is all about being safe. Even with the unloaded weapons only, there have been a few NDs occur & some injuries have resulted.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Links