Question

This is a discussion on Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I were in a public place and someone started shooting and I started shooting back, how would the police distinguish me from the bad ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question

Question

If I were in a public place and someone started shooting and I started shooting back, how would the police distinguish me from the bad guy who just opened fire on a crowd of innocent people? Any ideas?

2. Remove Ads

Put your hi-viz CCW sash on before you start cranking off rounds. Separates the good guys from the bad ones!

On a more serious note, when the cops show up (if your piece isn't already holstered) put your gun down and your hands up and do exactly what you're told. Whatever you're involved in will probably be over by the time they get there anyway.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    They wouldn't

Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of info on here that can help answer that question further.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

You should get a CCW badge..........
    I would recommend as soon as the police are on the scene dropping the gun and following every instruction given. They are going to treat you as a BG until they have everything straightened out. You are going to have guns pointed at you and you are going to end up in cuffs 9 times out of 10. Your actions are going to be what lets them know who the threat is.

The part about the badge was just a little humor, please don't get one. That opens up a whole other can of worms.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    Put your hi-viz CCW sash on before you start cranking off rounds. Separates the good guys from the bad ones!

lol

can you clip your CCW badge on there too?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post

And thank goodness a criminal can't wear one of those.

It burns them like garlic and holy water burns a vampire!

Hopefully, you're the one who's not bleeding.

Seriously, that's a ticklish one. A "shots fired" call is a high-adrenalin situation for a cop, and you can count on looking down their barrels at a minimum. Gun on the floor and hands up will probably keep you from getting shot. Then just do as they say until they sort the good guys from the bad guys. Expect to be cuffed and stuffed, and try not to get indignant.

ETA: I saw those sashes advertised in a magazine a few weeks ago! We had such a laugh. I carry too much stuff on my belt as it is, but that's never going to be among it.

YouTube - We don't need no stinkin badges

"Badges? We don't need no stinking badges"
    Hitler once said, “The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerers who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”

As mentioned in all CCW classes, on these forums and in gun magazines and on TV, the cops could not and would not know the difference between civilian shooters, or whom to attack...unless they were Mexicans, Muslims or blacks. NO! This is just a joke, folks! Ignore it! They'd smile before they profiled, no matter the time or day of where they were, regardless of race or place! This is a typical shooting scenario, as most of us know; one that we must remember when we get passionate and want to get in on the action.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner19 View Post
    If I were in a public place and someone started shooting and I started shooting back, how would the police distinguish me from the bad guy who just opened fire on a crowd of innocent people? Any ideas?

When you call 911, you should let the dispatcher know what you are wearing, what happend, and make it crystal clear that you are a CHL/CCW holder and that you are armed. The dispatcher should let the responding officers know that info, but keep in mind that doesnt mean that you wont be put on the ground and treated like youre the BG until the officers straighten everything out.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    When the Police arrive, the person who continues to shoot is the one who is most likely going to get shot. I would make eye contact with one of the officers, lay my gun on the ground and place my hands palms forward until I receive further instructions. Do not attempt to run or evade the Police or the situation for that matter. Assist the Police by identifing the perp if the situation presents itself. Something to the effect of -- White male, red shirt, blue ball cap left front corner of building -- etc..

Just my initial thoughts. Good question too!

Craig

ps.. I live in a tiny town of about 15000 people. If the Police were to show up where I had fired a gun, their first question would be, where was he when you last saw him and what was he wearing. There are few people in this town who don't know me. And with a spotless record of 52 years and never having so much a speeding ticket, everyone knows if I did something so drastic, there WAS a boni-fied reason. The beauty of small towns...

CS.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Hopefully the shooting is over by the time police arrive. Have your weapon holstered, ID out and ready, and hands in plain view.
    If shooting is still going on, immediately follow any and all orders given. Your life depends on your response to their orders.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    On the not so serious side here. Have you seen my LEOs shoot?

Being serious, if the shooting isn't over, if you can, put your gun down and cover up and let them deal with the fool from their on in because they sure as heck are not going to figure it out quickly who is who, if you put your gun down if you can, shows them, your the good guy for the most part especially if you tell the dispatcher that's what your going to do.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Good info given here. IMO...just be sure to follow any instructions by LEOs and use good common sense.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    use good common sense.
    I think that answers the question very well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links