You think you might have emotional trouble shooting a bad guy?

This is a discussion on You think you might have emotional trouble shooting a bad guy? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I haven't in the past and don't expect any should it be necessary again in the future....

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: You think you might have emotional trouble shooting a bad guy?

I haven't in the past and don't expect any should it be necessary again in the future.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Bark'n, thanks for the reality check.
    Yup. 'Same goes from me.

I think I have a tendency of giving benefit of the doubt of thoughts and other virtuous qualities to criminals that they often don't have. 'Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    You forgot the best part... he only works 3 days a week because he has a social life!

I'm sorry he is a POS. He was cold and wanted to get home. Maybe if he worked more he could afford his own wheels. Oh, I forget it's easier to steal other peoples things. :/

I'm glad Judge Judy let him have it, I actually thought she went a little easy on him, I've seen her make people look worse.

But it doesn't matter, he didn't learn a thing, at the end of the show he still thinks he shouldn't have to pay for the damage to the car he stole and crashed. "The police got in his way."

I weep for society.
    HA! When I turned 15 my father told me I was old enough to get my butt out the door and go get a job and that if I wanted anything in life I had to work for it. I was expected to hold said job for at least 5 days per week and keep up with my school work. I still managed to have a "social life". I call BS on this fool.

Although JJ really ticks me off in this too. Knowing full well what this POS is and what he's done and all she gave him was probation? WTH?

Bogey should be in with a cellmate named bubba to slap him around and call him susan!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Although JJ really ticks me off in this too. Knowing full well what this POS is and what he's done and all she gave him was probation? WTH?
    Actually, Judge Judy did not give him probation, nor could she. This was small claims court and what she did was award the plaintiff the full $5,000 in damages she was seeking for the damage to her car.

What Judy made clear was that if he had gone before her while she was a family court judge, the only way he would have gotten probation from her would be after he did at least a full year in jail first.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have been thinking about this as well.

This is my first thread in this forum. I am glad to be here.

I am currently on a Government sponsored trip to the Middle East. I get to OC while I am here. Although there has been little excitement other than a few roadside gifts, the thought of lethal escalation has been a subject on my mind. I have no hang ups about firing and killing an attacker. It is more likely that if anything ever happens, one of my buddies would be pulling the trigger. Keeping in mind, we tend to decentralize the human side of the enemy. It is easier to simply see a target.

When I get home to El Paso, just down the road from the horrible city of Juarez, I plan to CC nearly 24/7. The difference between the two places is my family. Here I am surrounded my armed persons. We expect to be shot at eventually. When I get home I hope to be able to let go of that stress, while also being ready to protect by family. Either way, I am ready, but I think it would be an emotional act. Even more so if my family is standing there.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I won't say I wouldn't think about it afterwards, but before, during and the immediate after, I'll do what I have to, I'll worry about the afterwards when it comes and ask God for his forgiveness.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Wow, I couldn't believe what I just saw on Judge Judy.

Okay, okay... Not only do I believe it, but I've actually known it for quite some time now. I just had never seen it actually displayed in such a stark reality before.

Okay, here's the story.

A sixteen year old man from Chicago is standing before Judge Judy with his father present. He is walking home from his girlfriends house and he is feeling too cold to walk the rest of the way home. He see's a woman getting out of her car in front of her house so he goes up to her, knocks her to the ground causing minor injuries and carjacks her.

I get the jest that police see him driving erratically and attempt to pull him over. He runs from the police and gets into a major police chase which results in him crashing the car. He gets arrested and pleads down to a lesser charge resulting in a mere 5 years probation.

The case is before Judge Judy because the woman is suing him for the damage to her car.

As Judge Judy questions him she finds that he has 4 prior arrests, none of which led to any convictions. One arrest was for assault on a school teacher.

He looks like a normal well dressed young man of high school age. His father is a carpenter who works six and seven days a week. He works with is father approx. 3 days per week.

This kid actually believed he was not responsible for paying damages because it wasn't his car.

He admitted that he knew what he did was wrong. He admitted it was his fault that he knocked the woman down, stole her car, got in a chase with police and crashed the car. However, it wasn't his responsibility to pay for the damages because it was the police's fault for chasing him and it also wasn't his car.

Judge Judy went into a tirade over how this is what happens when no one is held accountable for their actions. Each time this kid got arrested, nothing happened to him. Even with the conviction in this case, nothing really happened to him other than five years probation.

So, getting back to the title of my post... You think you may have a problem shooting a person who places you in a deadly force scenario? Well, chances are good, that person could not care less what happens to you and that they don't feel any responsibility for what they are doing to you.

I looked at my wife after seeing that case and all she said was "It's too bad that in Chicago that woman isn't allowed to have a gun to protect herself." and "It's Chicago, if we're lucky, someones bullet will find that kid before he can hurt anyone else."

Yep, we've got an entire generation of thugs who absolutely does not care about anyone or anything and will not accept any responsibility for their actions. That's a bad combination!

Stay armed and remember, the one attacking you, likely couldn't care less what happens to you.
    Bark'n...you forgot the concern this young man had for the lady...He stated, "I pushed her down in the GRASS"...See how considerate he was!!!!

As to your question...If the time comes to pull the trigger due to danger to my life or my family's life, I will have made the decision many moons before being pushed into the act. It's one thing to practice shot placement, it's a deeper decision to develop the necessary MINDSET to do the deed, and then to deal with the aftermath. I personally think the aftermath will be much more difficult to deal with than the decision to defend my life with deadly force...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Maybe I'm just an old guy who's been around a long time, and therefore, my sympathy for those who prey upon the weak and elderly have a special place in my heart...it's not a place you would want to be.
    Would I have emotional problems defending the lives of my family or myself? No! (But I've never worn those shoes either.)
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; May 24th, 2010 at 10:26 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    To answer the question asked in the title of your post. Probably. That is the difference between us and the thugs out there. We have a conscience. We are not out trying to get what we want by stealing it from someone else, we go to work and earn what we want. While I would not hesitate to defend myself or my family, I would probably have trouble sleeping afterwords.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Bark'n...you forgot the concern this young man had for the lady...He stated, "I pushed her down in the GRASS"...See how considerate he was!!!!
    Gotta love a considerate thug!

I actually feel bad for the boys father. He seemed like an honest hard working man and you could see the look of disappointment on his face. You know he didn't raise his son to be like that.

I feel so much better knowing I wasn't the only one sitting home watching Judge Judy Today!
    I don't have time to distinguish between the unfortunate and the incompetent, The end result is always the same!
    Curtis Le May (1906 - 1990)

I think someone who is responsible enough to go to the trouble and expense of getting a carry permit, is also likely to hold their own life as sacred enough to defend at the risk of sleepless nights later.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Acouguitar View Post
    I feel so much better knowing I wasn't the only one sitting home watching Judge Judy Today!
    I TiVo it.

It's a reminder that no matter how bad things get I'm not one of those people.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    You think you might have emotional trouble shooting a bad guy?
    What? Me? Seriously?
    Emotional trouble surviving an onslaught or attack from an enemy? No....I don't think that's going to happen. There's absolutely no reason to have emotional troubles over killing another human being who's intentions are killing you. It's a basic law of survival, and it spans the many faiths of this world with their beliefs concerning taking life. I could give you a reason and a purpose for every one of them here, but it would take literally days for me to sort it all out and compile the data.
    Where we may differ on the ideals may be based on self survival, and duty to my country that others may not have experienced. You get shot at and you respond......and you respond with your best intentions of survival.....(kill or be killed). In my mind, there's no question, nor emotion involved in that scenario. It's a 'keep it simple' sort of ordeal. If you think there's going to be a problem with that down the road, then in my honest and outspoken opinion..........you'd make a better victim without any defense as to wait for something to occur whereas you'd need to make that decision you might be emotionally damaged by.
    Note......all emotions are good or bad depending on how you identify with them. We're all different, and I'm not going to stand out in the crowd to proclaim emotions as a possible weakness. But that's what I believe, and your emotions could very well get you six feet under on the premise of being concerned for your fellow human being that just might kill you over nothing.
    Life is no game....what is life? Flesh and blood, and what's inside that brain of a human being. We don't do what we do here to rid the world of evil....we try to keep it from happening to us because we are good and deserve to survive. We have that right. Victims can't recount their emotions when the time arrived because......well, they were victims and no longer with us. All we could do at this point is to feel the emotion of sadness and displeasure at their demise, and hatred toward those that took them out of this world. Emotions are really not something to dabble in when it comes to a fine line, or a definitive one. The aftermath of our own actions is something we'll all deal with on our own. That's in past tense and has nothing to do with the present. Think more on it and maybe you won't be as concerned about trivial things. You went through the Marine Corps too.

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I weep for society.
    I'll bet the majority of members on this forum would rather live in a world where carrying a deadly weapon was not needed for protection from agressors.

As members of this forum, we all know that the world we live in is dangerous, and nirvana can turn to hell, in a microsecond. It SUCKS. I too weep for society.

I made the decision, long ago, to protect me and mine, with everything ounce of my being; without regard to the feelings or physical well being of my attacker. If that means deadly force then, so be it. I will not start it, but I, and my loved ones will be around for the finish. So Help Me God.

I will not mourn or second guess my actions.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links