You think you might have emotional trouble shooting a bad guy?

This is a discussion on You think you might have emotional trouble shooting a bad guy? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Timezoneguy Fortunately I've never been in that situation. I have established some, for lack of a better term and no pun intended, ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: You think you might have emotional trouble shooting a bad guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Timezoneguy View Post
    Fortunately I've never been in that situation. I have established some, for lack of a better term and no pun intended, trigger points. For example, a guy shoves me away from my car and tries to drive away, he can have it. Road rage secnario; guy boxes me in. Kicks my car, bangs his fist on the glass, I'll get his plate number and dial 911, breaks the glass or approaches with a weapon, I'll shoot. Calls me a S.O.B. or anything else from accross the parking lot, I'll walk away; approaches and continues agressive at 30 feet I draw/warn at 20 feet I fire. Looks like I have it all figured out. Will it be so simple in reality, not a chance. I agree we continue to slap the hands of these people who escalate to more and more serious crimes. One day he will kill someone and we will all wonder how this happened. One final thing. If you have a gun and deliberately point it at me, in anger, I will not hesitate, I will not assume he does not plan to shoot, I will not assume he's not nervious and his finger won't pull the trigger. I pray it never happens.
    I agree on all points.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Studies have shown correlation, but no causation; ie, they are related but not the cause of one another.

Read the book "Generation Kill". lt's about our soldiers and the link to violent video games, music, etc and how efficient and successful the current generation of soldiers are at killing the enemy.

I grew up with that stuff. My first video game was Wolfenstein 3D, the first ever first person shooter game (first person perspective, ie looking over a gun). That is the only genre of video game I play. I'm 29 years old (as of last Tuesday) and have never committed a violent crime. I just got home from work and spent a little over 3 hours playing such a game. Now I'm heading off to bed, after I kiss my 3yo son and my wife goodnight. Living a normal life.

Hollywood is not to blame. If so, why did I turn out just fine?
    I think it's the lack of morals. On Gunsmoke Matt Dillan killed people but it was obvious he was the good guy and he always won. Even in Wolfenstein you play a US soldier and the villians are nazis. In too many of the video games I see you're playing gangbangers and they glorify criminal behavior while the cops are portrayed as either incompetent and lazy or jack booted thugs. IDK, I'm no psychologist.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

2. Remove Ads

Forgot to say in my last post that I enjoy shoot 'em up movies and video games too, but not the kind where you play criminals.
    Ron Paul 2012

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    I hope to God I WOULD feel some emotional chaos about taking a life ...
    Keep in mind that you would have protected one or more lives.

Alvin York had it right. He didn't fight to be a killer and take lives. An avowed pacifist, he did what he had to do in order to save them.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Five years PROBATION for assault, grand theft auto and running from the popo!?

*** is wrong with our system?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I wondered if I would feel bad if I ever shot someone but as time goes on and I see more crap the less I feel that I would feel bad. I hope I will never find out but my first priority is protect myself and family I will worry about emotions after the fact.
    Uly
    Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.

-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    I think it's the lack of morals. On Gunsmoke Matt Dillan killed people but it was obvious he was the good guy and he always won. Even in Wolfenstein you play a US soldier and the villians are nazis. In too many of the video games I see you're playing gangbangers and they glorify criminal behavior while the cops are portrayed as either incompetent and lazy or jack booted thugs. IDK, I'm no psychologist.
    Well, I've been playing the Grand Theft Auto series since it was released. Been playing Saints Row (both) as well. Both are centered around gangs that take on the world. Nothing in the video game has become part of my real life.

Played Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, where a certain level in campaign mode you play an undercover CIA agent infiltrating a Russian terrorist that shoots down civilians in an airport in cold blood. There is an option to skip this due to the nature of the mission, but I played it without feeling anything. Big deal. My character mowed down some virtual civilians in a fantasy video game. I never lost sleep.

I still have morals and they haven't changed because of video games. Still the same. Life goes on. It's a fantasy world.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I still have morals and they haven't changed because of video games. It's a fantasy world.
    To us, perhaps. To others, it's a validation of their very thought processes, helping to hone their reflexes and dull their feelings toward the "targets." These things are learned, not inbred. Thugs learn from their environment and upbringing. Though certainly not the sole cause of anything, tools like this are just one more input from which they draw skills and thoughts. It can't help.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The military does the exact same thing. They desensitize the soldier to forget they are shooting a human and killing them. That allows them to function as a soldier should function. They have been doing this since WWI when they changed targets from the classic target rings to human silhouettes.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    To answer the question asked in the title of your post. Probably. That is the difference between us and the thugs out there. We have a conscience. We are not out trying to get what we want by stealing it from someone else, we go to work and earn what we want. While I would not hesitate to defend myself or my family, I would probably have trouble sleeping afterwords.
    Word.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Quote: Eli Wallach "If you are going to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!" There do not seem to be many, if any, empathetic sympathetic politically-correct sensitive psychobabbling liberals posting on most of these firearms forums. That is why I like them!

No.

Any healthy person who kills another person, even in self defense, should, and most likely will, suffer from acute stress disorder. It's a normal reaction to a horrible situation.

It's what separates us from them.

If it didn't happen to me, I'd be concerned.

It's not something you should worry about ahead of time, or let cause you to hesitate. That's what training is for.

Trying to deny that it does happen, is how good people end up with post traumatic stress dissorder. They don't deal with it immediately like they should, and it bites them in the butt later.

This is something the Army has finally started learning and addressing.

Oh, and by the way, if the guy lived, or had any living accomplices, I'd sue them for my emotional distress.
    (I can't find the article, but a cop did this recently. I don't think it's gone to court yet. If I can find it, I'll post it.)
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Quote Originally Posted by TangoMonkey View Post
    This is my first thread in this forum. I am glad to be here.

I am currently on a Government sponsored trip to the Middle East. I get to OC while I am here. Although there has been little excitement other than a few roadside gifts, the thought of lethal escalation has been a subject on my mind. I have no hang ups about firing and killing an attacker. It is more likely that if anything ever happens, one of my buddies would be pulling the trigger. Keeping in mind, we tend to decentralize the human side of the enemy. It is easier to simply see a target.

When I get home to El Paso, just down the road from the horrible city of Juarez, I plan to CC nearly 24/7. The difference between the two places is my family. Here I am surrounded my armed persons. We expect to be shot at eventually. When I get home I hope to be able to let go of that stress, while also being ready to protect by family. Either way, I am ready, but I think it would be an emotional act. Even more so if my family is standing there.
    Well said. Be safe over there.
    "...for all who draw the sword will die by the sword." Matthew 26:52

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    You think you might have emotional trouble shooting a bad guy? Emotional trouble? I think that if I shot someone, which I truly don't want to do, but I firmly believe I can if I had to.....I might be a smidge upset depending on the reason behind the shooting.....but, any reason for anyone to get us to draw down, much less fire on them, has to have done something to deserve what they get......
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Well, I've been playing the Grand Theft Auto series since it was released. Been playing Saints Row (both) as well. Both are centered around gangs that take on the world. Nothing in the video game has become part of my real life.

Played Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, where a certain level in campaign mode you play an undercover CIA agent infiltrating a Russian terrorist that shoots down civilians in an airport in cold blood. There is an option to skip this due to the nature of the mission, but I played it without feeling anything. Big deal. My character mowed down some virtual civilians in a fantasy video game. I never lost sleep.

I still have morals and they haven't changed because of video games. Still the same. Life goes on. It's a fantasy world.
    Like I said, I'm no expert. But there's also a difference between adults playing those games and children. Children can't distinguish between reality and fantasy as easily.
    Ron Paul 2012

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links