You think you might have emotional trouble shooting a bad guy?

This is a discussion on You think you might have emotional trouble shooting a bad guy? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Tubby45 Well, I've been playing the Grand Theft Auto series since it was released. Been playing Saints Row (both) as well. Both ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: You think you might have emotional trouble shooting a bad guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Well, I've been playing the Grand Theft Auto series since it was released. Been playing Saints Row (both) as well. Both are centered around gangs that take on the world. Nothing in the video game has become part of my real life.

Played Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, where a certain level in campaign mode you play an undercover CIA agent infiltrating a Russian terrorist that shoots down civilians in an airport in cold blood. There is an option to skip this due to the nature of the mission, but I played it without feeling anything. Big deal. My character mowed down some virtual civilians in a fantasy video game. I never lost sleep.

I still have morals and they haven't changed because of video games. Still the same. Life goes on. It's a fantasy world.
    I run a gaming clan. The guys in the clan know the difference between play time and go time. Personally, if shooting someone means my family is ok, then so be it. Ill and sit back and look over the situation. To be honest I do not know, for it has not happened yet.

2. Remove Ads

Hhhmmm...it might hurt me worse, and make me feel more bad and sad and sensitive and empathetic, sympathetic and guilty, if I can get free expenses-paid first-class airfare and trips to nice hotels, including driving with drinks, dancing, romancing and dinners, to tell Oprah and Doctor Phil, and their other psychobabbling media-whore sisters and brothers and others, all about how bad and sad I feel...if they make me good deals and at least buy my meals. I don't mind whining for free TV time, and space in newspapers and magazines, if you know what I mean. Boohoo, I wanna be a victim too! Howboutchoo? Hey, it's either waste this time online, or go outside and mow my grass. I pass.

Quote Originally Posted by MSteve View Post
    Any healthy person who kills another person, even in self defense, should, and most likely will, suffer from acute stress disorder. It's a normal reaction to a horrible situation.

It's what separates us from them.

If it didn't happen to me, I'd be concerned.

IMHO, those who DO NOT Realize this or "brag" it will not bother them Either have mental Problems or DO NOT have the "Ts"

Will you be able to "handle it" = yes, but will it "haunt" you for ever = YES.

Puffer

VIP Member
    In my original answer, (post #3) I was taking this question to mean would I have emotional trouble at the time of the shooting, causing me to question if it is the right thing to do or not.

For me, NO HESITATION.

As far as emotional and potentially psychological problems afterward for having to take a human life, ABSOLUTELY!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    American culture encourages people to be overly tolerant to the point that few people actually feel any culpability for anything. Our permissive society has been on this new obama mentality long before that jerk became president.

Ok, that felt good… Back on point, I would feel very bad to have to use deadly force for any reason but it wouldn’t stop me if the circumstances were critical.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I would feel bad if I missed or got a through and through and hit an innocent person.

I'm not going to pretend to understand why I should feel bad about harming someone trying to maim or murder me. If we've gotten to the point where I'm shooting you, you've put a lot of effort into getting me to do so. We got to that point via a LOT of bad choices on your part. I'm not really one to feel bad about somebody ELSE'S bad choices, especially those made through malice.

What I AM going to feel is real anger that you felt so entitled that you believed that you had the right to try to take my life and ability to support and care for myself, or that you had the right to try to take something from me by threatening to do so.

I think that a lot of people say they'd feel anguish at saving their own lives because a certain segment of society expects them to. I had a great uncle who kept himself alive by firing a Mannlicher-Berthier as fast as he could and putting a lot of 8mm Lebel into a lot of German bodies. To the best of my knowledge, he never looked back, and those men he killed weren't especially evil, just unfortunate in their time and place of birth. I'm not going to torture myself because someone genuinely BAD made me choose between my life and theirs.

If someone was REALLY going to take my life, or try to? No hesitation at all. MY SON WILL ALWAYS HAVE HIS DADDY!
    Glock 19 Gen. 4
    Ranger T 127+P+
    Gold Dot 124+P

I find this to be a very interesting read: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/21/ny...hooting&st=nyt
    Whatcha got ain't nothin new. ....... you can't stop what's coming, it ain't all waiting on you. That's vanity.
    Ellis, No Country for Old Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post

Played Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, where a certain level in campaign mode you play an undercover CIA agent infiltrating a Russian terrorist that shoots down civilians in an airport in cold blood. There is an option to skip this due to the nature of the mission, but I played it without feeling anything. Big deal. My character mowed down some virtual civilians in a fantasy video game. I never lost sleep.

I still have morals and they haven't changed because of video games. Still the same. Life goes on. It's a fantasy world.
    In the 80s I drank like a fish (drinking all night in a bar 4 nights a week with my boss, a quart of 101 proof bourbon a week at home along with a case of beer) and never became an alcoholic (I regularly would declare a dry month to to be sure); does that mean no body ever becomes an alcoholic drinking that much??? I rather think not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I looked at my wife after seeing that case and all she said was "It's too bad that in Chicago that woman isn't allowed to have a gun to protect herself." and "It's Chicago, if we're lucky, someones bullet will find that kid before he can hurt anyone else.".

I like the way your wife thinks!
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Well...this is not going to be at all popular, but I know how I will feel and, at least on one level I will regret it if it happens.

When I was young, I let myself get into a position where I had to kill people...while I was the invader in their country. Killing them was better than the alternative by quite a bit, but I never liked it much...and it wasn't until later that it really sunk in that I wasn't really the "good guy" there. I really hope to get through the rest of my life without killing anyone else, but I will do it if someone threatens me or my loved ones. I won't like it, though.

Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

First: PaxMentis I feel your pain. And welcome home Brother.

One guy shoots a BG who broke into his home, no remorse.

Another guy shoots and intruder, Finds out he is a friendly drunk. No charges neighbors and every one understands, He moves but still CC's.

We just don't know do we.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Stay armed and remember, the one attacking you, likely couldn't care less what happens to you.
    Of course they don't care, that in part is what separates us from them. Most do not relish the idea of hurting another human being for any reason. That does not mean we shouldn't do what is necessary.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Nope.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Questions have been asked before on these forums about your ability to actually kill another human being in a defensive situation and, surprisingly, some responses have been a "somewhat yes" in tone and some responses have been "the killing will change your life". My answers to these responses has always been the same. Before I even decided to puchase a firearm, I had a conversation with myself and was 100% convinced that not only would I kill someone in defense of myself, my family and maybe others, but it would not phase me in the least, and anyone who cannot say those things should not be walking around with a firearm that will probably get used against them if they are thinking that way. The strange thing is that I actually cannot think about killing a squirrel just for the heck of it but killing a slime--easy and without hesitation--somehow find that odd but it is who I am.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links