First WWW and a ?

This is a discussion on First WWW and a ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have seen a lot of people posting threads on their first time carrying at the good ol' wally world so I though I would ...

Thread: First WWW and a ?

First WWW and a ?

I have seen a lot of people posting threads on their first time carrying at the good ol' wally world so I though I would too I have had my permit for a few weeks but this was really my first time carrying anywhere besides the gas station. The wife and I (and my S&W .40Sigma in an IWB galco holster) went to change our insurance policies for our cars and house. We sat in the office for about an hour and besides trying to get used to sitting with my gun I didn't even think about it. Then we went to wally world. We walked around the whole store and looked at some stuff but didn't need to buy anything, I was a little wary at first that somehow everyone "knew" but it wore off really fast and by the end I wasn't even thinking about it anymore, I did notice that I was paying more attention to the other people around me than usual but I think that's a good thing. Then we went and had breakfast/dinner at denny's (i work nights so it was my breakfast), one guy gave me kind of a weird look but i think he was just a strange guy. Then we went home, completely uneventful but I'm still getting used to carrying it around.
    I do have one question tho and I'm hoping someone can help me out, I have a SD permit and i live in SD but I still have my UT driver's license because it doesn't expire until the end of the year. Could this be a problem if I get stopped by LEO, I usually just use my military ID anyway so i never even think about my driver's license, i thought about getting my SD license just so i don't have to deal with the hassle if I do get stopped between now and then, any thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

jbs
    Do they have a law in SD saying you have so many days to update your address after moving? Could be a problem if so.
    I would think you would want to have all your I.D.'s reflecting the same and correct address.
    I could see problems if you get stopped and the officer says, "SD permit but Utah drivers license. Something ain't right."
    Course, I don't know what the law is in SD. In Florida, they want you to submit a change of address within 30 days of residence.
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

I would update the DL. Congrats on your WWW and for joining the ranks, did you follow the list of what you must do in wally world? If you didnt do the nachos you MUST go back and do it all over again.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to update my license tomorrow, better to just do it and not have to worry about it. I kind of did the list lol, but I didn't end up buying anything, and their ammo selection was pretty picked over; no nachos, replaced by a subway.

Congrats on the walk but here is the other information you asked about.

South Dakota Department of Public Safety: Licensing: Driver Licensing - I can't find the 90 day requirment there though.

How to Apply for a New Driver's License in South Dakota | DMV - NON OFFICIAL

NEW RESIDENTS New South Dakota residents holding a driver's license from another state must apply for a South Dakota driver's license within 90 days of entering the state. Like other applicants, new residents must provide proof of identification, residency and presence, and surrender their out-of-state licenses. No tests will be required if the out-of-state license is still valid.

Are you still in the service? If so then I dont see a reason to get a SD license unless you want to. Our orders give us some leeway. I am a NC resident, but am currently stationed in GA. I took my orders down to the courthouse (as well as my ID) and got my GFL. GA does not require me to get a GA DL so I still have my DL from NC. If you are active duty you should be fine. AGTREMJIOPGV some more random letters in there for good measure!

To the OP...Does the permit have your SD address?

I have a VA permit...and my DL is from IL....I don't worry about it because I have my military ID card....

Oh, and my IL DL was issued in October 1994, and expired in 1998...but because I have my military ID card, my license is still valid (see Chapter 95 1/2, Section 6-115(d)) My goal is to go my entire career without getting a new license from the state of Ill-annoy.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    Congrats on the walk but here is the other information you asked about.

South Dakota Department of Public Safety: Licensing: Driver Licensing - I can't find the 90 day requirment there though.

How to Apply for a New Driver's License in South Dakota | DMV - NON OFFICIAL

NEW RESIDENTS New South Dakota residents holding a driver's license from another state must apply for a South Dakota driver's license within 90 days of entering the state. Like other applicants, new residents must provide proof of identification, residency and presence, and surrender their out-of-state licenses. No tests will be required if the out-of-state license is still valid.
    Except for military personnel and their families...

South Dakota Department of Public Safety: Licensing: Driver Licensing
    The following people can drive on a valid license from their home state, so long as they are at least 16 years old.

Military - Members of the Armed Forces on active duty or members of foreign military on temporary duty with the Armed Forces, as well as their spouse and children.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

jbs
    Quote Originally Posted by Bkrazy View Post
    Are you still in the service? If so then I dont see a reason to get a SD license unless you want to. Our orders give us some leeway. I am a NC resident, but am currently stationed in GA. I took my orders down to the courthouse (as well as my ID) and got my GFL. GA does not require me to get a GA DL so I still have my DL from NC. If you are active duty you should be fine. AGTREMJIOPGV some more random letters in there for good measure!
    Good catch. I forgot about the military ID.
    Back in the 80's, I was first stationed here in FL. I had a PA drivers license which was considered good with the military ID. Of course being a FL resident was more benificial, tax wise. I was givin a choice if I wanted to keep my PA DL and remain a PA resident or become a FL resident. If I wanted to remain a PA resident, FL offered an in state DL to be used in the state of FL only, with current address info. I don't know if they still offer this but thought it was interesting.
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

[QUOTE=SIGguy229;1632139]To the OP...Does the permit have your SD address?

My permit has my SD address, and my DL still has my address from when I was 16. I did change my state of residency at the beginning of this year tho (SD has no income tax) so I think I was supposed to get a SD DL. I know military always has different exceptions and different rules, but I still think I will just change it to avoid any potential hassles; I tried to go change it today but they stop helping people after 430 even though they are open til 530, gotta love government offices.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1826 View Post
    My permit has my SD address, and my DL still has my address from when I was 16. I did change my state of residency at the beginning of this year tho (SD has no income tax) so I think I was supposed to get a SD DL. I know military always has different exceptions and different rules, but I still think I will just change it to avoid any potential hassles; I tried to go change it today but they stop helping people after 430 even though they are open til 530, gotta love government offices.
    That address is your home of record....unless there is something in UT law that spells it out, you are NOT required to get a new license while you are on active duty and living out of state.

Having two different addresses isn't a problem...it's expected when you have your CAC card (i.e. military ID card)

I think you're looking for a solution to a non-problem. As I cited above, living in SD as a military member on active duty, you are not required to get an SD DL.

ETA--well, since you changed your residency to SD for tax purposes (i.e. not paying UT state income taxes), then you should get a SD DL...

Mine still has my address when I was 16 too...it is my home of record.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post

...Like other applicants, new residents must provide proof of identification, residency and presence...
    Oh oh, SD is going to be in deep trouble with the President...
    Isn't he already angry with AZ for asking for this same stuff?

The nerve of SD to ask anyone to identify themselves...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I am Active Duty. I am stationed in MO and have a MO CCW permit. I have an IN drivers license and am a Texas resident. Screwy i know but all i had to do in MO is get a Non-drivers silence ID. (MO uses this as the CCW permit)

But assuming that you are on orders to be there you should not have to worry about it.
    You could always call the DMV and ask to see what they say.

Links