Need some help on Virginia laws

This is a discussion on Need some help on Virginia laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in NC and am close enough to VA that I sometimes find myself across the state line. What do I need to know ...

Thread: Need some help on Virginia laws

Need some help on Virginia laws

I live in NC and am close enough to VA that I sometimes find myself across the state line. What do I need to know about CC while there that is different than NC? Thanks

2. Remove Ads

I would say first find out if your permit is valid in Virginia.
    It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God such men lived."
    -General George S. Patton

USAF Master Sergeant, Retired

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Assuming you have a valid permit in Virginia, I would check out handgunlaw.us for an overview on Virginia's laws. The big one would be places that serve booze; although the new law is signed, I don't think it has taken effect yet, so you couldn't CC anywhere alcohol is sold for consumption on premises.

Old Dominion residents, please correct me if I am mistaken on the timing of the restaurant carry bill...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixgunner View Post
    I would say first find out if your permit is valid in Virginia.
    It is.

Well, on July 1, you can CC in a eatery which serves alcohol (but you cannot drink). Also, Va. has fewer general restrictions: schools, gov't buildings, etc. are taboo but retail has to post it if they ban it and there doesn't seem to be a penalty for ignoring the signs unless you're asked to leave and fail to comply.

I'm sure smarter folks will reply soon w/ more specifics.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Oh, wait. You are from North Carolina. The good news is you can actually carry your gun in Virginia, unlike at home!

When I visit NC, my Center-of-Mass lockbox gets more use than my holster. *sigh*
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by golfnutcasey View Post
    It is.

Check out handgunlaw.us

Check out the Virginia State Police website and look at the laws regarding firearms.

Also check out Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL)

Long and short:

OC is legal (without a permit)

Signs do not hold legal weight....but must leave if asked.

Starting 1 July, you may CC in restaurants that serve alcohol. You may also OC in restaurants that serve alcohol (as it has been legal for years).

You can CC in parks

Local laws do not apply; State Law supercedes county/city ordinance for carrying a firearm.

No carry in courthouses, schools/property

Carry in church is prohibited unless you have "good or sufficent reason"....I carry in church (CC)

Any specific questions??
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

You can OC (do the Virginia Tuck) in restaurants that serve alcohol, and you may consume responsibly. Effective July 1st, you may CC in restaurants that serve, but may not consume alcohol. Your NC permit is good for VA.

The typical stuff, governement buildings, courts, post offices, etc.

You may CC in National Forests in VA, but not OC.

You may CC in State Parks.

VA is traditional OC state and no permit is needed to OC.

Hope this helps some.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CPO 15 View Post
    Well, on July 1, you can CC in a eatery which serves alcohol (but you cannot drink). Also, Va. has fewer general restrictions: schools, gov't buildings, etc. are taboo but retail has to post it if they ban it and there doesn't seem to be a penalty for ignoring the signs unless you're asked to leave and fail to comply.

I'm sure smarter folks will reply soon w/ more specifics.
    OTOH, you can OC and drink.

No law against carry here in the following, where you'll find it strange to be able to carry -- you being from NC:

most public universities property,

places where admission was charged,

State legislative office building,

Any public building (except as listed below) including Law Inforcement (except denettion faclities),

Financial Institutions,

Events Occurring in Public

And, BTW, we are not a must notify State.

ck out:

Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL)

Places Where Carrying Concealed is Prohibited
    NOTE: In most, but not all, locations where concealed carry is prohibited, open carry is also prohibited.
    Federal Property (concealed carry with CHP and hunting exempted in National Forests) (18USC § 930)

General Assembly Building & property (open or concealed carry OK for CHP holders only) (JRC Rule)

State Parks (concealed carry w/CHP legal but open carry prohibited)

Virginia Commonwealth University (8VAC90-10-50)

Courthouses (§18.2-283.1)

Detention Facilities (§15.2-915)

K-12 school property (unless unloaded in a closed container). CHP holders may possess a loaded concealed handgun while in a vehicle. (§18.2-308.1)

K-12 school buses. (§18.2-308.1)

Property used exclusively for K-12 school-sponsored functions (§18.2-308.1)

Air carrier airport terminal buildings (§18.2-287.01)

Places of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held "without good and sufficient reason" (§18.2-283)

Restaurants & clubs serving on-premises alcohol (concealed carry prohibited, open carry NOT prohibited; owners & employees exempted) (§18.2-308.J3)

Private property when prohibited by owner (§18.2-308.O)
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Assuming you have a valid permit in Virginia, I would check out handgunlaw.us for an overview on Virginia's laws. The big one would be places that serve booze; although the new law is signed, I don't think it has taken effect yet, so you couldn't CC anywhere alcohol is sold for consumption on premises.

Old Dominion residents, please correct me if I am mistaken on the timing of the restaurant carry bill...
    The CC reform law in alcohol related places should be in effect around July, unless the governor decides to veto it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    The CC reform law in alcohol related places should be in effect around July, unless the governor decides to veto it.
    Changes July 1.

BTW -- VCDL is planning celerbration dinners around the State. I'll post more details, later.

BTW2 -- If anyone SW of Roanoke/Salem wants to set one up, please PM me.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links