Question about CCW permits

This is a discussion on Question about CCW permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well as some of you here know I've had some legal issues a while back and they've been resolved and I'm in the clear. I ...

Well as some of you here know I've had some legal issues a while back and they've been resolved and I'm in the clear. I have my Florida CCW back and have an expungement of my arrest record pending. My question is if i were to ever move to any other state (which is likely) with a "shall issue" CCW law,will I have any problems obtaining a permit to carry there as a general rule?

FWIW MY attorney explained to me that once the expungement is granted that the records of my arrest must be destroyed by both local PD's The city PD that arrested me and the county sheriff's office that booked me,as well as the state law enforcement here in Florida FDLE. He also said this would include the court records of the case and that an order to expunge would be sent to the FBI as well to purge the arrest record from their system as well. But is FBI and the NCIC the same systems? And are one or both of these checked for a CCW permit application?
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

I retired from a job in which I often received Expungement Orders. On RARE occasions, the order applied to a person on whom my office had no record; I would contact the office which issued the order and would be advised to "just keep the Order on file." I always assumed the Order to me was mis-directed and that the poor schmuck's record still existed someplace.

In any event, the mere arrest (no conviction) shouldn't stand in your way in a "shall issue" state. I believe the NCIC is the custodian of the FBI database and that an Order to one would also expunge the other, but I worked for the state, not the Feds.

VIP Member
    You shouldn't have any problems once the records have been expunged. However if something can get screwed up, it usually does. I'd get a certified copy of the order to expunge and keep it in a safe place. If needed at some point get a notarized copy to send and retain the original.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    You shouldn't have any problems once the records have been expunged. However if something can get screwed up, it usually does. I'd get a certified copy of the order to expunge and keep it in a safe place. If needed at some point get a notarized copy to send and retain the original.
    +1 on that suggestion, anytime you deal with any government agency keep copies to protect yourself.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Expunged is expunged. Except foreign country's Will keep it on record. As they don't expunge anything. Great to be an American.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Links