Once again another 1911 Question

This is a discussion on Once again another 1911 Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First of all thank you all for previous answers on 1911 questions from me. Im down to my final thoughts and here it is, Im ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Once again another 1911 Question

Once again another 1911 Question

First of all thank you all for previous answers on 1911 questions from me.

Im down to my final thoughts and here it is, Im stuck between a full sized 1911 or a 4.25" one...

For full size i am settled on the SW 1911 TFP or the Springfield Loaded.

For the 4.25/4" ones Im stuck between the Colt Commander or the Kimber Pro Carry II.

Suggestions and Comments are much welcome
    Attached Images
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

2. Remove Ads

a full size will have noticeably lower recoil, but is less convenient in terms of size. Do you plan on making it a full time carry gun? If so, I suggest an aluminum framed Commander
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

Quote Originally Posted by YFZsandrider View Post
    a full size will have noticeably lower recoil, but is less convenient in terms of size. Do you plan on making it a full time carry gun? If so, I suggest an aluminum framed Commander
    I do, know any sites the sell it as one of there main productions? Colts website sucks
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Yep... my thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    I do, know any sites the sell it as one of there main productions? Colts website sucks
    Kimber should, with as many different models they have. I'll check.

VIP Member
    All good advice thus far. I'm in a similar thought process. Since I already have a healthy bunch of EDC's, I started with the Loaded Springer. Not surprising that it's the most fun to shoot. It's a hoss and it's dead-accurate.

It's now becoming clear that I'm going to have to get a 'Commander' style too . 'Keep us posted with what you decide!

Kimber CDP Pro is very nice. Alum. frame. I love mine, no problems and shoots very well.

4" Kimber models with an aluminum frame...

Pro Carry II
    Stainless Pro Carry II
    Pro Crimson Carry II
    Tactical Pro II
    Pro Covert II
    Pro CDP II
    Compact Stainless II
    Compact CDP II

I left a couple models out, as they were 9mm.

The Compact Stainless II, and the Compact CDP II are both "compact" models, meaning they are configured like a CCO, having a commander length slide over an officer sized frame... so they are not truely a commander.

Kimber makes about 79 different models of the 1911 platform. 13 of those are commander sized aluminum frames. (Not counting the 2010 models coming soon)

I'd go with the one with the best warranty. Both seem to be well reviewed...

SA is made in Brazil unless you get a serial number beginning with NM and those are still made in Brazil (Imbel frames) and have their final assembly in the US.

S&W I'm not sure of unless you want to get into historical semantincs and the fact that the company made a deal with Clinton during the assault weapons ban to include trigger locks integrated into the frames... but that was when the Brits owned it... it's American owned again (but they never apologized for making that deal)...

Also, you're right... Colts website sucks. When you show up at the main page, it looks as if there's no section for civilian sales. You have to click on the small blue "coltsmfg.com" at the bottom of the page to get there.

Here's Colt's 1911 page...

Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC

Looks like they have 2 aluminum framed commanders, and only one of them is in .45

Also, you're right... Colts website sucks. When you show up at the main page, it looks as if there's no section for civilian sales. You have to click on the small blue "coltsmfg.com" at the bottom of the page to get there.

Here's Colt's 1911 page...

Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC

Looks like they have 2 aluminum framed commanders, and only one of them is in .45
    What one is it? is it this one http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-..._PISTOLS.aspx#
    url takes you to the fullsized one but is it the far bottom right one?

hello i would go with a colt lightweight commander below is a link that has one for sale.

Colt 1911 XSE Lightweight Commander .45 Stainless for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $878.00

Quote Originally Posted by BigRAM View Post
    hello i would go with a colt lightweight commander below is a link that has one for sale.

Colt 1911 XSE Lightweight Commander .45 Stainless for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $878.00
    Out of stock.

I carry a Combat Commander XSE steel frame,I have to really tighten my belt up to keep from my pants being hip hoppers,I'm seriously thinking about wearing some covert suspenders just so I can loosen my belt a little,or carry my M&P 45c for awhile,or make an OWB holster for my RIA compact and carry a little lighter gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links