Those in SC - hotel with a bar

Those in SC - hotel with a bar

This is a discussion on Those in SC - hotel with a bar within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So here's the backstory - just got my hands on my Cwp last week and have started carrying pretty much whereever I can legally carry. ...

Thread: Those in SC - hotel with a bar

Question Those in SC - hotel with a bar

So here's the backstory - just got my hands on my Cwp last week and have started carrying pretty much whereever I can legally carry.

I went to a seminar at a local hotel where a meeting room was rented out. I know that I can't carry when going to places like applebees cause of the bar however how does that play into say a hotel w a resturant/lounge.

Been to the hotel a number of times and never thought much of it - till the added weight on my right hip made me stop and pause right before I was about to walk over to the bar to get a cup of coffee before the seminar.

So does anyone have any insight? Does the br make the whole hotel off limits to carry?

Just something that made me stop and wonder about that.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I can't say as I know SC laws specifically, but my understanding is that if you stay out of the restaurant (where the bar is located), you should be fine---lobby, hallways, any other public areas, and your room.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    As long as you don't go into the restaurant with the bar you will be fine. That would be the same as going into a mall that has a restaurant in it that serves alcohol. That wouldn't cause the whole mall to be off limits. IMHO
    Last edited by REVMAN; May 26th, 2010 at 09:40 AM.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Sounds like something a SC grassroots organization needs to fix next year...and allow carry in restaurants (not bars, per se)....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey tunnel: Previous answers pretty much correct. You can carry into a hotel as you go to your room but the bar is off-limits just like any restaurant. Go to the forum USA Carry--they have very convenient links to the laws in SC, as well as the reciprocity states for an SC CCWP.

Or another option would be to spend a lot of time in the bar, get made, and be charged so we can get the test case we need to stop the confusion.

BTW . . . If you ever want to see a bill clearing up the carrying of a handgun in a restaurant that serves alcohol do not vote for McMaster for governor. His opinion as attorney general has been a thorn in the side of restaurant carry.

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    Or another option would be to spend a lot of time in the bar, get made, and be charged so we can get the test case we need to stop the confusion.

BTW . . . If you ever want to see a bill clearing up the carrying of a handgun in a restaurant that serves alcohol do not vote for McMaster for governor. His opinion as attorney general has been a thorn in the side of restaurant carry.
    Also, as I understand it, it was he who rendered the opinion that printing=brandishing in SC when asked for an official opinion by SLED on the matter.

So I was surprised when I got this email a couple of days ago...

NRA gives McMaster A+ rating

Today, the National Rifle Association recognized Henry's tireless efforts to protect our Second Amendment rights. The organization gave him a rating of "A+" for the 2010 Republican primary election.

The NRA praised Henry for his "exemplary record" as Attorney General and his "commitment to protecting the rights of law abiding firearm owners and sportsmen."

As Attorney General, Henry has:

o Joined the National Rifle Association in challenging the unconstitutional handgun bans in Washington, D.C., and Chicago, before the U.S. Supreme Court.

o He took legal action to protect the sovereignty and constitutionality of our state laws on firearms sales and manufacture from federal intrusion and pre-emption.

o He cleared the way for South Carolina concealed weapon permit holders to carry in other states.

o He stopped local municipalities from infringing on concealed weapon permit holders' legal rights.

o He protected off duty and retired law enforcement officers' legal right to retain and carry service weapons.

As governor, Henry will continue the fight - and veto - any effort or bill that infringes on our Constitutional rights.

For more on Henry's thoughts on protecting the Second Amendment, visit: Henry McMaster for Governor | Stop ObamaCare | HenryMcMaster.com
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

A couple of points need clarification.

First, it was not McMaster that issued the AG opinion that it is illegal to carry into places serving alcohol. That opinion was issued when Charlie Condon was AG.

Second, many hotels are licensed to serve alcohol and not just in the restaurant but also in conference/ball rooms. Thus, to be able to carry into a hotel's conference room, you'd have to confirm with the hotel that it is not licensed for the on-premises consumption of alcohol. Also, if you are there for a seminar only, and the hotel is properly posted, you can't carry at all in the hotel. (As an aside, I've never seen a properly posted hotel in SC).

Third, the NRA is lying to its members about McMaster's record the same way they lied about John Land back around 1990, who received an A+ rating though he had fought, and hard, against the 1996 CWP act and was bragging about having done so at the very time he received the A+ rating from the NRA.

Fourth, McMaster and the NRA are both lying when they say he "stopped local municipalities from infringing on concealed weapon permit holders' legal rights." That is a lie, and they know it.
    Visit my Winchester Ranger Talon page for current pricing.

McMaster also went against the SC preemption statute in a particular state park.

In an official opinion on 3/5/09 he claimed SC's pre-emption law does not apply to CWP holders. Oconee County passed ordinance banning firearms and McMaster agreed it was OK.

BTW . . . If you ever want to see a bill clearing up the carrying of a handgun in a restaurant that serves alcohol do not vote for McMaster for governor. His opinion as attorney general has been a thorn in the side of restaurant carry.[/QUOTE]

You got that right DO NOT VOTE FOR HIM.

Sponsored Links