Legality of this scenario

This is a discussion on Legality of this scenario within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Old School If I am in uniform working my way through a crowd asking people to move and telling them my authority, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Legality of this scenario

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    If I am in uniform working my way through a crowd asking people to move and telling them my authority, " Police please move", I may well be placing my hands on some people to let them know of my presence and keep them away from my weapon. If I inadvertantly touch an object that I know to be a weapon I am completely justified in continuing to follow upon that PC if the situation warrants. It is not a second amendment issue it is a public safety issue given the situation that has been described in the episode of "Cops".

If I'm concealed 100% and you can't tell I'm carrying, and in a place I am 100% legal to be carrying in, and this occurs...you sir are full of ****. You could then just go around touching people feeling for their gun to bust them. Give be a break... That is someone out to break down the 2nd amendment and people's right to carry legally. Argue all you want about it. If you go around feeling for people's weapons then bust them because you could tell they were carrying, you are not a supporter. You're deliberately looking to bust people at that point. Let me put it like this, I'm walking down the street and happen to stop into a starbucks. It's chilly out so I have a shirt, and a hoody and I'm also carrying IWB. My hoody is very loose fitting so there's absolutely no way to tell I'm carrying. An LEO is looking the other way on his way out and bumps into me. Upon doing so he happens to feel the grip of my weapon. Is he going to arrest me for that? I'd think not... Also for the record it is impossible for someone to conceal a weapon that is too large for pocket carry in such a way for it to be undetectable by feel while sill being quickly accessible except for off body which to me is a poor method of carry.

Now was this occurance in a place that this person was legally allowed to carry in? Was he holding a beer or other alcoholic beverage? These are other situational pieces that are going to determine this here. I don't know the laws in LA specific to alcohol etc.

Here's why I don't watch cops and other shows like it. There is no evidence or laws cited for the viewers to understand the reasoning for someone's arrest on TV. We are meant to assume the police are always doing the right thing. This might not always be the case. They can have wrong info on the laws just as well as anyone, and it happens often. Now the other problem, you don't know the producers and editors of the show. They might have an agenda hidden there and might show you only what they want you to see and hear.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    If I'm concealed 100% and you can't tell I'm carrying, and in a place I am 100% legal to be carrying in, and this occurs...you sir are full of ****. You could then just go around touching people feeling for their gun to bust them. Give be a break... That is someone out to break down the 2nd amendment and people's right to carry legally. Argue all you want about it. If you go around feeling for people's weapons then bust them because you could tell they were carrying, you are not a supporter. You're deliberately looking to bust people at that point. Let me put it like this, I'm walking down the street and happen to stop into a starbucks. It's chilly out so I have a shirt, and a hoody and I'm also carrying IWB. My hoody is very loose fitting so there's absolutely no way to tell I'm carrying. An LEO is looking the other way on his way out and bumps into me. Upon doing so he happens to feel the grip of my weapon. Is he going to arrest me for that? I'd think not... Also for the record it is impossible for someone to conceal a weapon that is too large for pocket carry in such a way for it to be undetectable by feel while sill being quickly accessible except for off body which to me is a poor method of carry.

Now was this occurance in a place that this person was legally allowed to carry in? Was he holding a beer or other alcoholic beverage? These are other situational pieces that are going to determine this here. I don't know the laws in LA specific to alcohol etc.

Here's why I don't watch cops and other shows like it. There is no evidence or laws cited for the viewers to understand the reasoning for someone's arrest on TV. We are meant to assume the police are always doing the right thing. This might not always be the case. They can have wrong info on the laws just as well as anyone, and it happens often. Now the other problem, you don't know the producers and editors of the show. They might have an agenda hidden there and might show you only what they want you to see and hear.
    This is the second thread in two days that I've seen where you are acting like a jerk. How is it that you haven't been banned yet?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

i too saw this episode of cops, and if i remember correctly the guy didnt posses any form of carry permit (i dont know anything about New Orleans, LA law either) but what i do know is that from what i saw in the episode the gun was discovered by the cop coincidentally while moving through the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    This is the second thread in two days that I've seen where you are acting like a jerk. How is it that you haven't been banned yet?
    My post was just telling how I feel about that. Feeling someone and busting them for it if they are legal in every possible way is pure BS.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

LOL--It was probably filmed in the 80s when CCW was not allowed, gang.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    LOL--It was probably filmed in the 80s when CCW was not allowed, gang.
    Good point

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links