Lawmaker Looks To Expand Pa. Gun Rights

This is a discussion on Lawmaker Looks To Expand Pa. Gun Rights within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lawmaker Looks To Expand Pa. Gun Rights - Pennsylvania News Story - WGAL The Susquehanna Valley If someone enters your home and threatens you, Pennsylvania ...

Thread: Lawmaker Looks To Expand Pa. Gun Rights

Lawmaker Looks To Expand Pa. Gun Rights

Lawmaker Looks To Expand Pa. Gun Rights - Pennsylvania News Story - WGAL The Susquehanna Valley

If someone enters your home and threatens you, Pennsylvania law allows you to use deadly force to protect yourself. But one Susquehanna Valley lawmaker wants to expand the rights gun owners have to defend themselves in other places as well.

York County Republican Scott Perry is behind the bill. He says it's desgined to give law-abiding gun owners the right to protect themselves and their families in vehicles as well as other places where they have been invited (you can read the entire bill here). The right to deadly force is their's if the attacker displays a firearm or if they reasonably believe they are being attacked and feel immediate action is necessary to prevent death, kidnapping or rape.

Perry says clarifying the law removes the worry of civil liability that can make an already difficult situation even worse.

"That's not the time to be trying to decide, 'Am I going to go to jail for this or not.' You have to defend your life and your family first. We want to err on the side of the law-abiding citizen when right now the scale is tipped on the side of the criminal," said Perry.

The bill is being considered by the House appropriations committee. It would need to be passed there before moving to the full House of Representatives for a vote.

Opponents of the bill say it's bad policy becuase it encourages people to take the law into their own hands instead of calling police.
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.” -- Cicero

2. Remove Ads

Good for PA! I'm a retired LEO, and must admit that it's very hard to be at the right place at the right time. You might get lucky and be there a few times in your career, but the majority of the time you arrive after the fact. It's not your fault, but that's just the way it is. I've seen the things that one person can do to another way to many times and you should have the right to defend yourself and the change in the law that PA is considering would help you do that by giving you the opportunity to act without fear when the time comes.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by MN2Go View Post
    Lawmaker Looks To Expand Pa. Gun Rights - Pennsylvania News Story - WGAL The Susquehanna Valley

If someone enters your home and threatens you, Pennsylvania law allows you to use deadly force to protect yourself. But one Susquehanna Valley lawmaker wants to expand the rights gun owners have to defend themselves in other places as well.

York County Republican Scott Perry is behind the bill. He says it's desgined to give law-abiding gun owners the right to protect themselves and their families in vehicles as well as other places where they have been invited (you can read the entire bill here). The right to deadly force is their's if the attacker displays a firearm or if they reasonably believe they are being attacked and feel immediate action is necessary to prevent death, kidnapping or rape.

Perry says clarifying the law removes the worry of civil liability that can make an already difficult situation even worse.

"That's not the time to be trying to decide, 'Am I going to go to jail for this or not.' You have to defend your life and your family first. We want to err on the side of the law-abiding citizen when right now the scale is tipped on the side of the criminal," said Perry.

The bill is being considered by the House appropriations committee. It would need to be passed there before moving to the full House of Representatives for a vote.

Opponents of the bill say it's bad policy becuase it encourages people to take the law into their own hands instead of calling police.
    2 scenarios

Dispatch: 911 dispatch what is your emergency?
    Man on phone: I'm being robbed at gunpoint.
    Man with gun: you calling the cops? *sickening laugh and then a bang*
    Dispatch: Sir? What was that noise? Sir?

Man with knife: hey buddy, give me your wallet.
    Victim: Could you give me a minute? I need to call the police because I'm not allowed to hurt you.
    Man with knife: oh sure, no problem. I'll give you a minute but then I want that wallet ok?
    Victim: yeah this will just take a minute.

Yeah that works right? PA needs this. It will be similar to FL in that when you are in fear of great bodily harm or death, you are allowed to use lethal force without fear of prosecution or civil penalty as long as it's deemed justified.

Recent story around here was a guy in a fender bender at a grocery store. Other guy comes up to his door with a crow bar and is shot because it's assumed he is going to beat the first guy up. Of course his wife is on TV bawling and talking about "why did he shoot him?" and the lawyer is like "well, if you threaten someone with a weapon be prepared for them to fight back with the law backing THEM up."
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

so, when is he running for president so i can campaign for him! lol
    i don't know the guy but i already love him!

Every state needs a law of this fashion.

GM
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by nino brown View Post
    every state needs a law of this fashion.
    Kansas

§ 21-3211. Use of force in defense of a person. A person is justified in the use of force against an aggressor when and to the extent it appears to him and he reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or another against such aggressor's imminent use of unlawful force.
    § 21-3212. Use of force in defense of dwelling. A person is justified in the use of force against another when and to the extent that it appears to him and he reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent or terminate such other's unlawful entry into or attack upon his dwelling.
    § 21-3213. Use of force in defense of property other than a dwelling. A person who is lawfully in possession of property other than a dwelling is justified in the threat or use of force against another for the purpose of preventing or terminating an unlawful interference with such property. Only such degree of force or threat thereof as a reasonable man would deem necessary to prevent or terminate the interference may intentionally be used.

RKM
    PA does needs this stuff. I have my LTCF, and I hardly EVER carry, because I'm honestly afraid of the circumstances if I had to ever use it. Out in the streets, we have the duty to retreat. If I did have to justifiably fire my gun on somebody, I honestly can't be too sure what's going to happen to me.

At home, we have a "weak" Castle Doctrine. I forget the exact definition of this, but we have the duty to retreat and use of force only if nessacery. Sorry, but if there is a cracked out dude in my house, use of force is needed before I "retreat".

It's nice that I live it a fairly quiet neighborhood, but we all know that now-a-days, that means nothing.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Good for PA
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Links