Sacramento sheriff's candidates support more concealed weapons permits

This is a discussion on Sacramento sheriff's candidates support more concealed weapons permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sacramento sheriff's candidates support more concealed weapons permits | News10.net | Sacramento, California | Local News Expect more people to be granted concealed weapons permits ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sacramento sheriff's candidates support more concealed weapons permits

Sacramento sheriff's candidates support more concealed weapons permits | News10.net | Sacramento, California | Local News

Expect more people to be granted concealed weapons permits when the next sheriff takes office in Sacramento County.

In a debate with News10's Sharon Ito, all four candidates who are running to succeed retiring Sheriff John McGinness said they will increase the number of concealed weapons permits (CCW or "carry concealed weapon" permits) issued to citizens.

Sheriff's Capt. Scott Jones, former deputy Bret Daniels, and retired FBI agent and write-in candidate Frank Scafidi said they would issue a permit as long as the person doesn't have a history of violence or criminal background, a mental illness or drug abuse.

Sheriff's Capt. Jim Cooper said he, too, would increase the number of permits, but he wants applicants "to show cause" before they are granted one.

Daniels said self-defense is sufficient cause. "We're letting out thousands of criminals. We're laying off hundreds of deputies. Crime is skyrocketing. They're having shootouts at Country Club Lanes with hundreds of rounds being fired, and people need to be able to protect themselves. Nobody can protect you better than you can yourself," Daniels said.

Jones sees concealed weapons permits as a crime-fighting tool, especially in light of anticipated budget cuts that could include more deputy layoffs. "The less I'm able to protect the public, the constituency of Sacramento County and regionally, the more I'm going to enable them to protect themselves," Jones said.

Cooper is the one candidate who supports a statewide standard in issuing a permit. "It's not fair if you live in El Dorado County where the permit process is much easier there and also Placer County. That's why there should be one standard so it's fair to everyone in the state. Right now, it's very unequal. That's my issue, fairness," Cooper said.

Right now, state law leaves it to police chiefs and sheriffs to determine if an applicant has "good cause" to carry a concealed weapon.

While Scafidi said he would make the permit process less restrictive, if the person broke the law, "the permit is revoked on the spot."
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.” -- Cicero

I can't believe it, it's like someone took the dumb out of the water there. I lived there about 10 years ago and the ignorance was so wide spread I told people that must add a huge dose of dumb to the water supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Back 40 View Post
    I can't believe it, it's like someone took the dumb out of the water there. I lived there about 10 years ago and the ignorance was so wide spread I told people that must add a huge dose of dumb to the water supply.
    I agree, it's a breath of long-overdue fresh air. However, the comment "...if the person broke the law, 'the permit is revoked on the spot...'" - if taken at face value, disregards our basic legal precepts of due process and "innocent until proven guilty." But I allow that that might just be campaign rhetoric.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Now if we could only get people like that elected in all 50 States!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by MN2Go View Post
    Sheriff's Capt. Jim Cooper said he, too, would increase the number of permits, but he wants applicants "to show cause" before they are granted one.
    Is this like "Mother, may I"?

I wonder what his "cause" is? Someone who has already tried to kill you but didn't succeed?

I wouldn't vote for Capt. Cooper. My level of cause may not meet his arbitrary level, whatever that might be. In fact, if this race was in my district, I'd actively campaign against Capt. Cooper.

"Cause" my hiney.

Trick question....show a copy of the U.S. Constitution, highlight the 2A....there's your cause....gimme my permit...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Protecting life and loved ones isn't cause enough, hm? Geez. It's the whole point of the exercise.

That is why the arbitrary nature of the judgment in California is so awful. It isn't based on reality and simply begs to be abused by tyrants.

Still, if going from issuing a pittance to opening the flood gates, it's a step in the right direction. Of course, as Orange County (CA) shows, it can be taken away in a second once another sheriff steps into the post.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Trick question....show a copy of the U.S. Constitution, highlight the 2A....there's your cause....gimme my permit...
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Quote Originally Posted by MN2Go View Post
    Capt. Cooper has just shown cause why he should not be elected.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    Capt. Cooper has just shown cause why he should not be elected.
    would you vote for Capt. Cooper or someone who will NOT issue permits. I would choose the lesser of two evils! He is just asking for cause, seems to me all you have to say is self defense, seems cut and dry to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 8plus1 View Post
    would you vote for Capt. Cooper or someone who will NOT issue permits.
    Unfortunately, other people in other states have said they would issue for just cause, yet they ended up not issuing because someone else's cause didn't measure up to their own. Sometimes issuing for "just cause" is code for "not a chance in hell."

And given the parameters of the current election, it isn't between Capt. Cooper and someone who will NOT issue permits. It's between "just cause" Capt. Cooper and 3 others who at first glance seem willing to issue unless there's a specific reason not to, NOT the other way around, i.e., a specific reason to issue (as long as that specific reason meets the sheriff's unknown criteria).

I would choose the lesser of two evils! He is just asking for cause, seems to me all you have to say is self defense, seems cut and dry to me.
    Seems cut and dried to me also, but experience has shown otherwise.

"Just cause" is sometimes code for "not a chance in hell", or "only if I like you or are related to you."

Like the song (can't remember the band to give credit): Don't be fooled again.

I stand corrected, he should just leave it at "will issue" unless applicants have a criminal background etc...

I stand corrected, he should just leave it at "will issue" unless applicants have a criminal background etc...
    I agree with your original sentiments. But I've seen it abused so many times by closet anti's that I no longer trust those who seek to limit gun access based on unknown arbitrary means.

"Shall issue", with perhaps a very few distinct and specific exceptions, is the way to go. Otherwise things can change with the weather or the next election or appointment.

I do agree with you in principle. It just hasn't worked out that way.

would you vote for Capt. Cooper or someone who will NOT issue permits. I would choose the lesser of two evils! He is just asking for cause, seems to me all you have to say is self defense, seems cut and dry to me.
    So you tell him you need a permit to defend yourself. Then he asks you who do you need to defend yourself from and you say "I don't know, I haven't been threatened or attacked yet". He says "permit denied".

The other candidates in the race have stated they will issue permits to those who are not disqualified by criminal record or mental illness. You tell me which one you would vote for.

What the Peoples Republic of Comiefornia needs is a shall issue law but that will take some time.

Sorry, I posted my reply as soon as I read your first post. I wasn't trying to pile on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links