Received my Texas permit today.

This is a discussion on Received my Texas permit today. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally got my Texas permit today. It took them right at 55 days from the time I mailed in the paper work to picking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I finally got my Texas permit today. It took them right at 55 days from the time I mailed in the paper work to picking it up in the mail. Now I have my Texas resident permit and my Utah non-resident permit. 2 down, ? more to go.

Just a side note. Texas has an online processing update site that you can check the progress of your application. About half way through my application process the state decided to upgrade their system. Well, the first few days of the change over their security system for the online system wasn't working completely and they sent me a letter about a week ago stating that fact and telling me that my SSN #, DL #, and date of birth was just some of the info that was available for people to see if they looked into their system. They said there were no intruders into the site during that time before they noticed the error but gave me a # to call and will be providing idenity theft coverage and some other things for a year "just incase" someone did get in and take my info. Something else for me to have to worry about for the next year now.

Oh well, the good news is I did receive my permit and that makes me happy.

Congrats on the permit. I'm in Plano and have my TX CHL. What are the advantages of having the Utah non-resident permit? Should I get one? What are the costs?

Thanks
    Russell
    XD9 Service
    XD9 SC

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

Congratulations!!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Congrats.
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

Quote Originally Posted by russellb View Post
    Congrats on the permit. I'm in Plano and have my TX CHL. What are the advantages of having the Utah non-resident permit? Should I get one? What are the costs?

Thanks
    I got my Utah permit first because when I was checking into getting a permit Texas was taking 6-9 months to get them back to you. Utah was only two months and is legal to carry here. The class was $100 and the permit is $65 and is good for 5 years. And Utah has a couple of states that Texas doesn't. If you don't ever leave Texas or go to far outside of Texas there is no need for another permit. I take a road trip every year to about 10-15 states. The people that put on the road trip take us to different states every year and we don't know where we're going until about 6 months or less out. The more permits a person has the more states you can carry in.

The Utah class is 4 hours long with no shooting involved and if you can get a big enough class together he'll come to you. Since you already have the Tx permit it couldn't hurt to get the Utah one if you do much traveling. I'm going to be checking into getting as many permits that I can that don't require you to actually come to their state to get it unless it happens to be one of the states I'm going to with my road trip.

If you would like the class info PM me and I'll give you the instuctors name and number.

Congrats on the CHL.

congrats, it's good to know theres another ccr out there
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

Quote Originally Posted by russellb View Post
    I'm in Plano and have my TX CHL. What are the advantages of having the Utah non-resident permit?
    Redundancy. A non-resident license from a state honored by Texas (such as Utah, Florida, etc) can serve as a "back up", if you should lose your wallet. Otherwise, you'd have to stop carrying until Texas DPS mails you a replacement license. Keep the "back up" license in a safe place at home, until you need it (hopefully never, as losing a wallet is a real hassle).

Quote Originally Posted by DropTop View Post
    Now I have my Texas resident permit and my Utah non-resident permit. 2 down, ? more to go.
    Florida is a nice one to have too. It won't add many (if any) states beyond your TX and UT licenses, though.

Happy day!

Congratulations and stay safe.
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.” -- Cicero

6-9 months for a Texas license? Glad I got in on the ground floor('95). Mine took less than a month...
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Distinguished Member Array maxwell's Avatar
    Congrats.
    THE ONLY LOVE THAT MONEY CAN BUY IS A DOG

Welcome to the fold! I've had a Texas CHL since 1995, but I also carry a Florida permit. I originally got the FL license before Texas had reciprocity with CO and FL had reciprocity with CO, as I was planning on a trip to CO. TX now has such reciprocity, but I renewed my FL license last year to provide backup in case renewal of my TX CHL gets stuck in a computer fiasco like DPS had last year and again early this year, since the renewal dates are well staggered. Besides, I like having a license with Charles Bronson's name on it.

Keep in mind, your out of state permit does not exempt you from the federal Gun Free School Zone Act, so be careful out there.

Congrats be safe.
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

Quote Originally Posted by DropTop View Post
    Just a side note. Texas has an online processing update site that you can check the progress of your application.

Really?!? I sent mine in about 5 weeks ago and every day when I get home I go running for the mail box to see if mine has come. I sure hope it comes soon!
    XD40sc & LCP

have you done your wally walk yet?
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links