Defensive Carry banner

Received my Texas permit today.

2K views 28 replies 24 participants last post by  Ag86 
#1 ·
I finally got my Texas permit today. It took them right at 55 days from the time I mailed in the paper work to picking it up in the mail. Now I have my Texas resident permit and my Utah non-resident permit. 2 down, ? more to go.

Just a side note. Texas has an online processing update site that you can check the progress of your application. About half way through my application process the state decided to upgrade their system. Well, the first few days of the change over their security system for the online system wasn't working completely and they sent me a letter about a week ago stating that fact and telling me that my SSN #, DL #, and date of birth was just some of the info that was available for people to see if they looked into their system. They said there were no intruders into the site during that time before they noticed the error but gave me a # to call and will be providing idenity theft coverage and some other things for a year "just incase" someone did get in and take my info. Something else for me to have to worry about for the next year now.:spankme:

Oh well, the good news is I did receive my permit and that makes me happy.:smile:

#5 ·
I got my Utah permit first because when I was checking into getting a permit Texas was taking 6-9 months to get them back to you. Utah was only two months and is legal to carry here. The class was $100 and the permit is $65 and is good for 5 years. And Utah has a couple of states that Texas doesn't. If you don't ever leave Texas or go to far outside of Texas there is no need for another permit. I take a road trip every year to about 10-15 states. The people that put on the road trip take us to different states every year and we don't know where we're going until about 6 months or less out. The more permits a person has the more states you can carry in.

The Utah class is 4 hours long with no shooting involved and if you can get a big enough class together he'll come to you. Since you already have the Tx permit it couldn't hurt to get the Utah one if you do much traveling. I'm going to be checking into getting as many permits that I can that don't require you to actually come to their state to get it unless it happens to be one of the states I'm going to with my road trip.

If you would like the class info PM me and I'll give you the instuctors name and number.

#12 ·
Welcome to the fold! I've had a Texas CHL since 1995, but I also carry a Florida permit. I originally got the FL license before Texas had reciprocity with CO and FL had reciprocity with CO, as I was planning on a trip to CO. TX now has such reciprocity, but I renewed my FL license last year to provide backup in case renewal of my TX CHL gets stuck in a computer fiasco like DPS had last year and again early this year, since the renewal dates are well staggered. Besides, I like having a license with Charles Bronson's name on it.

Keep in mind, your out of state permit does not exempt you from the federal Gun Free School Zone Act, so be careful out there.

#18 ·
go to Texas.gov | The Official Website of the State of Texas and then click on the concealed handgun tab and it'll take you to another page and then just follow the directions. It'll let you know if the paperwork you sent is all good, when they have your background check finished and the last one is the status of your permit and when they have mailed your permit. It took about four days to recieve mine after their web site said it was mailed. You should have a couple more weeks to wait if they take as long on yours as they did on mine. Good luck.

#24 ·
Thanks ya. It feels good to finally have my Texas permit in hand. I just wish I could get more of my family and friends to realize that they need to do what they can to protect themselves because you really can't count anyone else to do it for you.

Yes, I received my Utah non-resident permit back in november and have been carry since then.

#25 ·
Well congrats on your new permit. I feel a little safer tonight, with another Texan able to carry...

#27 ·
Hey DropTop,

You are not legal until you do the Wally World walk of fame. It includes the nachos and chilidog. You must walk at least 50% of the asiles and go to the restroom as well. Glad to hear another smart Texan exhibited their right to concealed carry. My whole family is a CHL family. My wife was the last and it only took 30 days from the time she mailed it it to get her license. My youngest sons wife, her mom and dad are also CHL holders. My oldest son's wife is next in line...but her parents...well lets just say it's best that they dont want a CHL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.