When you give in to compromise

This is a discussion on When you give in to compromise within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The friend I'm going to visit (a plane ride away) just informed me that he's uncomfortable with me carrying in his home or car--which really ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: When you give in to compromise

When you give in to compromise

The friend I'm going to visit (a plane ride away) just informed me that he's uncomfortable with me carrying in his home or car--which really means the whole week-long trip. He said he's willing to let me store my pistols in his apartment, but I'd feel uncomfortable not having them under my direct control, and wouldn't want him to be constantly worrying about their mere presence.

After a long exchange, I just now told him that I'll allow that we won't have to worry about the issue - I will leave my pistols at home. Instead of carrying firearms, I'll carry a cane and turn up my SA.

If you are politely (or not so politely) asked not to carry a firearm, what is your next available alternative?

2. Remove Ads

If you are politely (or not so politely) asked not to carry a firearm, what is your next available alternative?
    I don't go where my guns aren't wanted if given an option.

Thus said friend would not receive a visit.

Biker

Well, if it is legal to carry where you will be going(and money was not brought up as a problem), I say rent a car when you get there. That way you can carry, put the weapon in "your" car, and bring a lock box to store in the car as well. It never has to cross the treshhold of your buddy's door.

Problem solved :-)
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

I'll carry 24/7. No gun, no go.

What kind of friend is uncomfortable with you?

Stay safe.
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right. -- Cicero

Sounds like your friend doesn't trust you....or is completely ignorant of guns...and believes they will suddenly "go off".

What's his deal?

Maybe a trip to the range is in order....

My friends already know where I stand...I have yet to encounter this problem after carrying for the last 16 years...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I don't go where my guns aren't wanted if given an option.

Thus said friend would not receive a visit.

Biker

The time you leave it home is when you will need it...
    Hotel and rental car.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

If the friendship is worth it, respect his wishes.

Without knowing either of you two I'd venture his distrust is your firearms, not you directly. Fear and a lack of 'working' knowledge (experience) of firearms is his problem. Guns (like the dark) are scary things to be feared if you've never tried to 'beat' it. Is your friend scared of the dark? How'd he get over that fear?

He's your friend, perhaps a trip to a public range would bolster his confidence a little...........
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by san antone rr View Post

The time you leave it home is when you will need it...
    Hotel and rental car.
    This is my whole philosophy: anything can happen anywhere, anytime. I know I'd feel terrible for second-guessing myself on this issue if something ended up happening and I wasn't able to do something that otherwise could have turned out better because I was armed. For this reason, I came very close to suggesting I should make alternate housing arrangements or some such thing. With more time to plan, I would have done just that. This will not happen again.

However, I'll humor him and his hoplophobia this once, mostly due to time and financial restrictions. As a 22-year-old college student (well...taking time off at the moment), money isn't exactly rolling in.

I'm sure the topic will come up while I'm there, and I'll give the friend some good info to help him understand the whole thing.

I've just turned my pistols over to an LEO buddy for safe-keeping while I'm gone, so I feel good about knowing where they are and that they're in good hands. This means that there probably be no trips to the range.

There's a few ranges around that'll rent out a few guns. Peruse the phone book or employ your google-fu. Good luck and enjoy the trip!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I always respect family or friends' requests that I not bring a gun into their home. Why should I insist otherwise. They are not comfortable around guns. Many aren't. Why should I want to make them uncomfortable. Just because I am comfortable doesn't mean others SHOULD BE. Why SHOULD they be?
    There are such things as gun accidents. It's a lethal little machine, one they may not understand to begin with which can increase their fear. At the least, it's a lethal little machine and they don't want it in their house. Fine, I respect their feelings.

I can just leave it home or secure in my car. The chances I'm going to need it driving home or walking into or out of their door for a few seconds - or to and from my own door - are about the same as that my car will blow up. I actually have a much better chance of having a horrible car accident.

What Biker said. Friends don't let friends go unarmed.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Go. Enjoy your vacation. Enjoy your friends company and hospitality for a week. Come home.

It's not compromise. It's respect.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

My gun goes with me, or I don't go.
    Maintain a long distance friendship!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post

It's not compromise. It's respect.
    So, your friends dictate how you'd be living your life and that is respect?
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right. -- Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by FreeDelivery View Post
    The friend I'm going to visit (a plane ride away) just informed me that he's uncomfortable with me carrying in his home or car--which really means the whole week-long trip. He said he's willing to let me store my pistols in his apartment, but I'd feel uncomfortable not having them under my direct control, and wouldn't want him to be constantly worrying about their mere presence.

After a long exchange, I just now told him that I'll allow that we won't have to worry about the issue - I will leave my pistols at home. Instead of carrying firearms, I'll carry a cane and turn up my SA.

I would tell him that I'm very sorry I won't be able to visit at his house but he and his family are welcome to visit me at mine. If that ended the friendship then so be it.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links