After you've fired your weapon in defense!

This is a discussion on After you've fired your weapon in defense! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a couple of names but that's about it. I know some folks here on the forum have arranged a meeting, etc. It’s certainly ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: After you've fired your weapon in defense!

VIP Member
    I have a couple of names but that's about it. I know some folks here on the forum have arranged a meeting, etc. It’s certainly a good idea to have a one on one with a lawyer simply to know the facts from fiction. I guess I’m just lazy or don’t care to spend the consult fee. I really just pray that I remain as a hobbyist vs. a hero.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by GHFLRLTD View Post
    If you passed the three tests in the law - In a place where you have a legal right to be, meeting force with equal deadly force, to stop an immediate forceable felony - you would only be asked for ID and perhaps your CCW. An immediate arrest is only possible if these three tests have not been clearly met - i.e. you shot somebody 5 times in the back of the head, and there was no indication that who you shot had any conceivable deadly force capability. Any questions about the event would be resolved later by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE).
    George,

In a perfect world, I would agree with you. But, if it was a perfect world, we would never need to carry a handgun.

My attorney says "don't talk." I'll follow that advice.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by san antone rr View Post
    Yellow Pages?

Talk to a LEO acquaintance and ask them who they would use if they had to use their weapon. You want someone experienced in this sort of thing, not someone who has a huge ad in the YP.
    I have the name and number of just such a person in my wallet and phone. Meet with them; the first consultation is free. Let them know who you are and why you MIGHT need their services. I have had my CHL since '96 and that attorney info was in my wallet before my CHL arrived i the mail. I buy him lunch about once a year just to stay in touch.
    A bit of forethought now makes sense because if you just had to deploy your weapon, you might not be thinking absolutely clearly when making the choice of the person who can keep you out of jail and make a big difference in the outcome of the civil suit that is sure to follow...

Just my $0.02 if it's worth that much.
    san antone rr:

EXCELLENT ADVICE!!!

Especially the part about lunch once per year.

Capt. Art

I have my lawyer's office and cell numbers in my phone, and memorized, and written at home, and with trusted friends...

I've been his gunsmith for 19 years, he did my divorce for a Marlin .45-70 and an NFA trust for some AK47 drums and magazines.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I'm married to my lawyer.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tennvol View Post
    The prize for Best Self Defense Plan goes to...

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Quote Originally Posted by twocan View Post
    san antone rr:

EXCELLENT ADVICE!!!

Especially the part about lunch once per year.

Capt. Art
    Yeah, he says he has spent more time with this"client" than any other non-troublemaker on his list... I plan to keep it that way. I have known him 14 years just from this contact.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I have my lawyer's office and cell numbers in my phone, and memorized, and written at home, and with trusted friends...

I've been his gunsmith for 19 years, he did my divorce for a Marlin .45-70 and an NFA trust for some AK47 drums and magazines.
    You gave a lawyer a gun to settle your divorce?

Now that's funny...

------------------------------------------------
    To the OP...
    I have been meaning to do a few pre-interviews with some local lawyers...maybe this summer.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

When I got my Oregon CHL I had to go through a two full day training course plus a shooting test to qualify. One of the presenters was the local District Attorney who as a strong advocate of concealed carry. I will pass his advice along to you. First, find a lawyer who knows something about defending clients in handgun cases!!! His point was that many lawyers do not know one end of a gun from another and provide terrible defense/counsel in that arena. Your local bar association can help here.

Second, make an appointment with this lawyer (small cost involved) and get to know him/her BEFORE you might need the lawyer's services. If you absolutely need legal help because of a shooting infraction that is NOT the time to get to know your attorney.

I followed the D.A.'s advice and selected an attorney who became both a friend and a shooting partner. Thank goodness I have never needed his services but in case I do - I am ready.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its not exactly free... you are paying for that lawyers and the unions services throughout your entire career. Your coworkers are also paying every paycheck, no matter if they use the services or not.
    Yeah, I know. Poor choice of words there. I was trying to say that I didn't think LEO's got to choose their lawyer. I thought it worked like public defenders when a civilian gets arrested. Is that incorrect? I wouldn't trust a lawyer just cause a union did.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Quote Originally Posted by tennvol View Post
    Sleeping with the enemy comes to my mind...

As far as LEO defense goes: an officer may still have to worry about finding a lawyer in the event that a person or organization holds charges against him or her.

I just finished reading "The Ayoob Files" book, as I do in these gun magazines, and they do not make me smile. They may also make us hesitate, which may or may not be good, regardless of our 'hood. I want to read more such stories.

Quote Originally Posted by mfcmb View Post
    (1) I am a member of the Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network. I believe in it's goals and think It's prudent to be a member.

(2) Alas, despite alll my searching I have yet to find a self-defense lawyer in Albuquerque or it's environs.

Ditto. in key West

Deleted.
    Last edited by MitchellCT; June 1st, 2010 at 12:55 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links