Help with upcoming air travel please!

This is a discussion on Help with upcoming air travel please! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday weekend. Okay, I'll be flying from Cincinnati to Alaska on Delta in two weeks and need guidance on how ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with upcoming air travel please!

Help with upcoming air travel please!

Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday weekend. Okay, I'll be flying from Cincinnati to Alaska on Delta in two weeks and need guidance on how to travel with my pistol. Here's my thinking... When I go to check in at the airport I just tell them I have a firearm to declare. Then I fill out some kind of form or something. I'll have my unloaded pistol in a small locked hard sided gun case. What I want to do is place this inside my checked bag with my clothes to draw less attention to the firearm. I know my ammunition needs to be in the manufacturer's box but does this have to be locked? Can I just place the box in with my clothes or does it have to be in some kind of case as well? Would sure appreciate some advice and instructions from people that have flown like this. Thanks so much for your help in advance!!!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    You might want to check your states laws on that one. You also need to check the state laws of every state you are traveling through. For instance, if you are traveling through NY, don't bother. Just buy a new gun in Alaska.

This might help some NRA-ILA ::

Also, I'm not sure that you can carry ammo at all. I'm fairly certain taht the pistol in a hardside case, declaired and locked in the bag will be fine, but you should call your airline first. They will be the final deciders as to wether you are allowed to board with your firearm at all.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Here's the official answer, but you should still check with Delta.

TSA: Traveling with Special Items
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Here are some threads which have dealt with this.

It's pretty simple if you are legal at both ends of your journey.
    Know the state laws.
    Go to website of your airline, and print out their rules AND TSA rules.

Have fun!

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...s-learned.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...y-firearm.html
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    You might want to check your states laws on that one. You also need to check the state laws of every state you are traveling through. For instance, if you are traveling through NY, don't bother. Just buy a new gun in Alaska.

This might help some NRA-ILA ::

Also, I'm not sure that you can carry ammo at all. I'm fairly certain taht the pistol in a hardside case, declaired and locked in the bag will be fine, but you should call your airline first. They will be the final deciders as to wether you are allowed to board with your firearm at all.
    Please disregard this information.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member
    Read and print out the TSA and the airline rules. It's all online. There is not a lot of consistency with what the TSA guys and the airline guys know, that was just my experience, so if you have it printed out all the better.

For me recently on United, the ammo needed to be in the factory box, but it does not need to be locked or overpacked. The pistol needs to be in a locked hard case, unloaded.

Tell the desk at checkin that you have an item to declare. They may or may not have TSA come to look at it, so give extra time for that.

Take your own ammo. Don't depend on buying what you want at your final destination.

Actually, it's very easy. Happy travels.

everything you need to know in an easy video ;)

YouTube - Deviant Ollam - Packing and the Friendly Skies - LayerOne 2009
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Based on My Traveling

Having traveled a number of times, here's how I go at it:

1. Review TSA: Traveling with Special Items to understand TSA policies and procedures. Have a copy with you when you reach the airport.
    2. Put the unloaded weapon(s) in a lockable hard-sided case with locks only you have the keys/combination to open. TSA locks are not allowed.
    3. Steps that will make it easier to show that the weapon is unloaded - especially when x-rayed.
      • If the weapon is a:
        • semi-automatic
          • lock the slide open
          • put a cable tie through the barrel and out the breach to show that the chamber is empty
        • revolver, flip the cylinder out
      • Do not put the magazines in this locked case with the gun(s):
        • it invites questions about them being loaded
        • if the gun case is "liberated" from the checked bag by a Criminal Entrepreneur, the lack of magazines frustrates the "Liberator", since the weapon is now initially a single shot one
    4. Check the airline(s) you are flying on:
      • To determine if the ammo
        • MUST be in boxes (plastic reload boxes work)
        • can fly in loaded magazines
      • If loaded magazines are permitted, make sure the pouches fully cover the magazine top where the cartridges are visible.
      • The round(s) from the chamber(s)/cylinder(s) must be in a box, not loose
    5. Secure and protect magazines (separately from the weapon) and ammunition boxes from possible damage.
    6. Put the lockable hard-sided case with the weapon and the ammo/magazines into a cheap, non-descript bag - with clear labeling outside and inside - for checking in.
      • If possible, develop a way to attach - in a lockable way - the hard-sided case to the piece of luggage it has been placed into.
      • The labeling should be limited to:
        • Your Name
        • Your Cell Phone - if you have one, or your home phone if you do not
        • Your personal email address - if you have one
        • NO ADDRESSES, JOB TITLES, ORGANIZATIONS SHOULD BE INDICATED
    7. Other stuff - like shampoo, mouthwash, toothpaste, etc, could be in this checked bag also.
    8. Have the rules for the airline in hand when you check this non-descript bag at the airport.
    9. Make sure you have the keys/combinations to the lockable hard-sided case with you and you alone (Per Federal Regulations 49CFR § 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals - Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:) at all times. You will have to open the lockable hard-side case:
      • to demonstrate to the airline that the weapon(s) are not loaded at check in (a signed form/tag indicating that will go in with the weapon(s))
      • if the TSA wants to see
    10. Have the serial number(s) and descriptions of your weapons on you, so if they "disappear" you can report the loss/theft immediately to the:
      • airline
      • FAA Regional Office
      • ATF Regional Office

Other things to consider:

1. Check Handgunlaw.us and/or Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps to determine:
      • If you can possess the weapon at all your stops
      • Where and how you can carry at all your stops
      • What are the deadly force rules in each state you are visiting
    2. Have a copy of the Don Young Transportation Letter on hand - http://www.anjrpc.org/DefendingYourR...s%20letter.pdf. This covers changing modes of travel - car to plane to car - in a single journey.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

I'm flying to Houston on Tuesday and back to Bangor Wednesday. When I fly I pack my unloaded handgun, ammo, knife, etc in a lockbox that looks like a book. I keep the ammo in it's original box, not in mags or speed loaders.

When I check in I tell the counter person I have a firearm to declare and they give me the orange/red tag to sign, sometimes TSA checks the gun, sometimes they don't. The box gets locked (I keep a key and my wife has a key, no one else), and the tag goes inside the cover of the "book". The box goes into the suitcase I'm checking and away it goes. I've never locked the suitcase before but I may start this trip.

I've flown numerous time the last few years and that's what I do/have done and have yet to have a problem.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

I usually travel on Delta, and you won't be hassled.
    Enjoy Alaska...

Here's another 'What to expect at the airport.' info site.

Packing & the Friendly Skies by Deviant Ollam (Not the video...)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I just flew Delta yesterday (Cleveland to Atlanta to Ft. Lauderdale). It's probably a coincidence, but the ticket agent was probably the most pleasant and friendly one I've ever dealt with. She didn't ask me to open the gun case, just had me sign the card, take the suitcase to the TSA guys with the X-Ray machine, and then stood with my wife and I until the TSA guys said everything was kosher. Took less than five minutes total.

Distinguished Member
    George, I like the idea of attaching the locked case somehow to the luggage. Thanks for that tip, the rest of your summary was clearer than any of the regs, I'm printing it out for reference.

VIP Member
    We just flew to and from the NRA convention in Charlotte a couple of weeks ago.

We flew on United, US Air, and finally Air Canada, clearing Customs in both directions.

My HK P7 was secured in one of these..........

Cabela's -- Secure-It Key-Operated Handgun Storage Safe

It is inexpensive, convenient, and has the added function of a security cable that I attach to the frame of my suitcase for further protection from theft. My P7 is unloaded, and cable locked, and my suitcase has a TSA approved lock on the outside.

Make sure you print up the rules and regs of the TSA and EVERY AIRLINE, with relevant sections highlighted, you are going to fly as they vary. When I travel I also have to have all my ATF and RCMP paperwork as well. My documentation is housed in a three ring binder that goes in my carry on. It seem that the United counter in Victoria, and the Air Canada counters in both Charlotte and Toronto are unsure of how to check in a firearm. I showed them my binder and they really appreciated it.

Make sure that the firearm tag the airline gives you is attached to THE OUTSIDE OF THE FIREARM CONTAINER INSIDE YOUR LOCKED LUGGAGE!! The guy at check in in Charlotte insisted that it go in with the firearm in the locked firearm container. Wouldn't you know it, ten minutes later I get "the page" telling me to meet up with the TSA guys. I hook up with them, they open the case, check the tag, put it on the outside of the firearm container and it's business as usual.

Good luck on your trip and enjoy Alaska!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Wow, thanks so much for all the info everyone! I really do appreciate you taking the time. Sounds like it should be very easy. Just wanted to get a little more educated on things. I'll be securing the hard sided case to my luggage with a security cable for sure... nice tip. Checked out the law for carry in Alaska and as I expected it's very gun friendly. Only thing that I read that was a little odd to me was that you can't carry in a place where liquor is offered for sale. In my state you can as long as the business doesn't obtain more than 50% of their profits from liquor sales. So guess, carrying in a place like TGI Friday's is out, huh? Just wasn't expected. Thanks again guys!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by allenruger View Post
    Only thing that I read that was a little odd to me was that you can't carry in a place where liquor is offered for sale. In my state you can as long as the business doesn't obtain more than 50% of their profits from liquor sales. So guess, carrying in a place like TGI Friday's is out, huh? Just wasn't expected. Thanks again guys!
    Yep, that varies by state. Arizona, this year you can carry in there, last year, you couldn't. When we were in NC, if they serve beer in there, you can't carry, drinking or not. Washington State, you're good to go except in the "bar section" of the restaurant.

When in doubt, check out http://handgunlaw.us/states/alaska.pdf.

Again, enjoy the trip and don't forget to post an AAR!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links