Seconds Count ~ How Fast ??

This is a discussion on Seconds Count ~ How Fast ?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just wondering, how fast can you draw your firearm from your concealed position? I have got my draw from the 3 oclock position ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was just wondering, how fast can you draw your firearm from your concealed position? I have got my draw from the 3 oclock position down to 2 seconds! It was 4 seconds.
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

jfl
    How do you measure it ?

Do you start the sequence at a random signal ? Tap on the shoulder or such.
    When do you stop the clock ? When the gun goes "click" (dry firing) after you have acquired enough sight picture for "combat accuracy".

If you have shaved off 2 seconds, that's good !!!

How long did you practice to achieve that ?
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

VIP Member
    I’m nowhere near as fast as I use to be but I figure my draw is good enough in order to be safe. As a LEO I occasionally had to draw on someone and the gun came out so fast that I didn’t even remember drawing it. It was truly instinctive and autonomic. Man, I sure miss those days…
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

At Front Sight, they use turning targets to initiate the draw sequence. However, you know it is coming so it is not like a random threat. The targets turn back away from you after a predetermined time. From 3 meters, you have 1.8 seconds to draw from concealment and put two shots in the thoracic cavity before the target turns away. That time period goes to 2.6 seconds when shooting from 10 meters. Initially, this seems awfully fast but by the end of 4 days, most are able to accomplish this.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Using a shot timer I can draw and shoot (and hit) two shots in 1.5 seconds at a torso target at 7 yrds. I can drawn and fire one shot on average at about 1.15 to 1.25 seconds (and hit). My best time ever from a draw (with a hit)was .86 seconds and I can be under one second about 8 times out of 10 if I'm trying to just go as fast as I can. The problem is that I rush my sight picture and miss more often than I hit. The extra tenth or two of a second spent with the sight picture really helps with the hits and in real life only hits count.

The catch is that this is at the range when I'm primed and ready with my gear set up just right. I'm sure real world time when the chips are down would be more than twice as long.

As far as practicing goes, the more the better. Once you plateu at a certain average I've found that breakthroughs can be had by just throwing the gun out there as fast as humanly possible and breaking a shot (don't worry about hitting so much, just worry about presenting the gun as fast as you possibly can). Do this 4 or 5 times and see how fast you are (you'll be amazed). Then go back to trying to get good hits again and you'll find that the gun is still presenting really fast but now you have more time on the sights. You'll cut your time down and still get good hits.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I personally have no idea as to my draw/fire time. I feel like I am smooth in my presentation and from 7 yards in, am accurate from my first shot onward. I hope that when time counts that smoothness and accuracy will win out!!! JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    I have a shot timer and I can draw from concealment and fire a controlled pair to COM in about 1.5 seconds... on a good day!

Last edited by Thumper; May 30th, 2010 at 09:21 PM.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

10-4.

After a few days at Front Sight, 1.8 seconds seem like a long time.

That's going to vary on the type of concealment, though.

But, when the real deal happens, it's going to be a lot different...
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Faster than some (some of the older ones, that is), not as fast as I'd like to be...I'm an old fart.
    What doesn't hurt doesn't work. This body can't do what the mind thinks it can do.
    I do practice and get training as often as possible.
    What every happens...happens, but I'm alert...that's gotta' help.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I've never bothered to time myself. Speed is secondary in my opinion. First shot placement is more important. Remember a 1.5 second draw and fire with a miss will lose to a 2.5 second draw with a COM hit.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I had a 1.52 seconds draw and hit 0 down at 10 yards with one shot.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

You'll know if it was fast enough when the time comes.

I never think about it. I just know from real life situations I can draw it out before I even think about it.... it's an automatic response.

Random start signal, 3yds, half hip, .85 ish on good days .90 ish on not so good days, but I'm getting old and slow.

Way younger with a duty rig, .35ish.

So far, always fast enough when I needed it.
    Last edited by Guantes; May 30th, 2010 at 10:16 PM.

VIP Member
    Speed isn't important... yada yada yada!

Speed IS important, just not the most important!

Timing your draw speed is an excellent way to raise the stress level and test your muscle memory. If your shots are hitting where you intended it reinforces your training. A shot timer is not only fun but an important training tool.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

cj
    A heck of a lot faster than the majority of the public out there who aren't carrying anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links