Concealed carry in PA with LTCF

This is a discussion on Concealed carry in PA with LTCF within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok somebody correct me if I'm wrong here. With a valid PA LTCF, you're legally able to carry both concealed and openly on both foot ...

Thread: Concealed carry in PA with LTCF

Ok somebody correct me if I'm wrong here. With a valid PA LTCF, you're legally able to carry both concealed and openly on both foot and in a vehicle. Correct?

Reason I ask, I'm at a picnic today and my uncle, who is also an LTCF holder tells me that concealed carry is illegal. I agreed.... If you don't have an LTCF. He said that the LTCF doesn't matter. Concealed carry is illegal despite having an LTCF. I was confused. I know this isn't true but I went along with it because I didn't feel like an argument.

Now somebody please confirm that I'm correct. I hardly ever carry, even though I'm an LTCF holder. I don't want to carry openly. I'm 23 years old and I'd attract too much negative attention. Carrying concealed is difficult for me to try to hide it. I'd still like to confirm the law and that I'm correct.

I googled of course but any results I find are from 2006-2008ish. Nothing recent. I thought maybe this was a very recent law that cc is illegal. I checked pafoa and didn't find anything about cc being illegal in pa WITH an LTCF.

I apologize for typos. I'm on my iPhone.

AMong other things, the whole point of the LTCF is so that you may carry concealed or in a vehicle...

PA Title 18

18 Pa.C.S. 6109: Licenses
    (a) Purpose of license.--A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth.

VIP Member
    Your right, your uncle is wrong.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm sorry...but for people like your uncle....it takes showing them the law to break through their ignorance. Don't argue...show him the law. Better yet...have him show you the part where concealed carry is illegal...

It is almost the most ignorant thing I've heard....you have a LTCF...but concealed carry is illegal?? Where did he get that impression?

Whatever has been told by his friend, the guy a the gun store, a LEO, etc. is wrong...what does the law say?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Ok, I was pretty sure. The conversation started when he wanted to sell me a .357 mag Tarus revolver. I wouldn't mind having something chambered in .357 mag, but I'm not a revolver fan.

But anyway, yeah. That took me by suprise. It's nice to see I was correct. Because though I don't carry often, esepcially when it's warm, I have carried concealed many times. Open carry for me is almost out of the question. I'm a younger guy, like I said early 20's. I drive an obnoxious, big winged Mitsubishi which makes everybody seems to suddenly hate me and profile me. And an open Glock at 3:30 wouldn't be looked to kindly at. I'm just saying, open carry is not for me :)

Sometimes, even though you know you're right, it doesn't feel to bad to have it confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    He said that the LTCF doesn't matter. Concealed carry is illegal despite having an LTCF.
    Huh?

I was confused.
    So am I. I have no clue how anyone who can read well enough to fill out the app. could come to such an incredibly wrongheaded conclusion.

You're right, your uncle's wrong.

Administrator
    Your PA License IS your license to carry your firearm concealed in Pennsylvania.
    You must have your PA license On Your Person to carry concealed.

With your PA License you can keep your firearm concealed on your person when you are in your vehicle.

You are not legally required to notify if you are stopped for a traffic violation.

You may enter bars & eating places keeping your firearm concealed.

Your Uncle is very wrong.

Agree with QKShooter. Unlike many other states, OC is allowed. Although, I have not done that yet...my in-laws live in PA.
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Because though I don't carry often, esepcially when it's warm, I have carried concealed many times. Open carry for me is almost out of the question. I'm a younger guy, like I said early 20's.
    IMHO , you should try to carry on a regular basis.
    The more you do it the more natural it is.

Lots of info on this board about concealed carry methods.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

EW3
    Your uncle has no clue what he's talking about.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

LTCF is a PA CCP every state is different.
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmPro View Post
    LTCF is a PA CCP every state is different.

No, it's a License To Carry Firearms; concealed or open. It says nothing about having to conceal.

Some info about carrying without a LTCF in PA (yes it can be done. Would I do it, no.):

Open Carry - Yes, It's Legal
    In Pennsylvania, persons 18 years of age and older whom are not prohibited by law from owning firearms may openly carry a handgun in plain sight with no license except in vehicles*, cities of the first class** (Philadelphia) and where prohibited specifically by statute.

Ref.: Title 18, ch.61, Subchapter A. Uniform Firearms Act & Commonwealth v. Ortiz

* Open carry in a vehicle requires a valid PA License to Carry Firearms (LTCF) or a carry license from ANY other state. Ref: Title 18 6106

** Open carry in a city of the first class requires a valid PA LTCF or a carry license from a reciprocal state. Ref: Title 18 6108, Title 18 6106

Carrying concealed (with LTCF) or openly in establishments that serve alcohol is allowed in Pennsylvania.

There is no stipulation in neither the PA code nor case law that a PA LTCF holder must carry concealed. Furthermore, lawful open carry of a firearm is NOT grounds for revocation of a PA LTCF as it is neither an illegal nor dangerous act.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

A PA LTCF allows you to carry concealed and while in a vehicle as well as in a city of the first class (Philadelphia). LTCF or License To Carry Firearms. Click on my signature for the LAWS about open carry if you would like info on that and to print it out. As far as concealing goes, go for it. In short, you as a LTCF holder you can CONCEAL or OPEN carry in a vehicle as well as CONCEAL ANYWHERE LEGAL TO CARRY A FIREARM. Plus it doubles as another form of ID :)
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

I hardly ever carry, even though I'm an LTCF holder... Carrying concealed is difficult for me to try to hide it.
    Sounds like you need a smaller pistol.

With 9mm available in tiny pistols nowadays, the "I dont carry, because a formidable gun is too big to conceal" excuse really doesn't hold water. "Mouseguns" aren't the sole province of .25 and .32 anymore.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    a smaller pistol is not the answer, i started out carrying a Rugar Security Six openly, as time went on, I learned how to dress to conceal, and now i can conceal any size handgun, it comes with time and practice, carry whats comfortable
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Sponsored Links