Finally Got Pulled Over in Florida...

This is a discussion on Finally Got Pulled Over in Florida... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tonight was a first for me...pulled over about an hour ago by a Florida County Sheriff. The wife and I were coming home from a ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Finally Got Pulled Over in Florida...

Tonight was a first for me...pulled over about an hour ago by a Florida County Sheriff.

The wife and I were coming home from a small staff party and I was crusing on a two-lane road, and probably doing 15 over the limit. I know the road and there were no headlights in either direction. I'm very careful about watching ahead and my mirrors.

I had the radar dectector on...you know, those contraptions that let you know that you may be getting a ticket?

Well, as I was cruising along, I notice some headlights way, way behind me...just two little dots in the dark. I also see that they are quickly gaining on my position, so I back off and the lights had to still be 3/4 - 1 mile behind me...but they were quickly gaining. When I could actually see the headlights REALLY gaining, I was at the posted limit, but one can never be sure about what high tech equipment LE are using these days.

A couple of minutes later, I get the 'light treatment', almost reminded me of Christmas, but I wasn't expecting to see Santa.

I pull over to the side of the road and the LEO stays about 30 yards back...Mmmmm, that seemed strange. I waited about 2-3 minutes and then I hear a voice on the loud speaker to exit my vehicle and walk back to the front of the crusier, and I was told to stand in the lights.
    I was standing there with my driver's license and CCW permit in hand...standing with my hand high and wondering, "What the heck?".

Then the officer exits his vehicle and stays in the dark shadows. I hand him my info, he looks at it and he says, "Sir, do you have a weapon on you now and if so, where is it?"
    I answered, "I'm a legally armed Floridian, and my Glock is on my right hip."
    He then says, "Sir, that's fine, just don't reach for, or touch the weapon."
    I replied, "Yes sir, not a problem."

He then says, "I do appreciate you telling me about the weapon, sir."

I replied, "I know that it's not required by law, but I consider it a courtesy."

He then says, "Sir, the reason I stopped you tonight is because your license plate light is out."
    I'm thinking, "Mmmmm, that's strange, you were so far back from me that you couldn't see my car, yet alone my plate." But I'm ready to go with that one.

He says, "It took me a bit to catch up with you, but when I closed in on you, you didn't appear to be speeding...I don't have radar with me."

I'm thinking..."OK, OK, I'm good with that one. I'm glad he had the cruiser without radar."

Then he asks me what weapon I carry, I told him a Glock, and I asked him about his weapon...he replied that he had a Glock also.

He wanted to know where I worked (all this time I believe that he was checking for warrants), I shared my present job as a high school teacher in the area. He asked how long I had been there...yada, yada, yada.
    He then loosened up a great deal and was quite friendly.

I told him that I didn't realize my plate light was out, but that I would get it fixed immediately. He said that he was only giving me a verbal warning about the plate, but he would note it on the computer in case I was stopped in the next few days, the next cop would know about this stop.

I was very comfortable with the way this LEO approached the situation.
    I was a bit confused about him staying so far behind me and asking over the speaker to walk back to his car lights. But, no radar, to ticket, no hassle...I was fine with that 'trio'.

The wife said that he was probably 'trolling' for drunks...:yup

Well that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; May 31st, 2010 at 03:39 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Nicely handled by both parties buddy.

May my first encounter go so well.

I'm assuming you weren't riding the Harley?
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Understandably, sometimes one man night units get a little goosey.
    Glad the stop went well.

CCW attached to your DL and/or plate in FL? If he knew before he got out of the car he may have proceeded with extra caution? And you never know when you're driving the same make/model or even basic color and type of car they might be looking for.

Glad it went well, professionalism breeds professionalism, mutual respect made it sound like things went smoothly.

Glock Certified Armorer

GB...No Harley, I sold it to buy a Miata (wife was worried about me).

canav...No, FL CCW permits are not tied to either the driver's license or license plates.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Your school mascot doesn't by chance wear a fur hat does it?

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    A couple of minutes later, I get the 'light treatment', almost reminded me of Christmas, but I wasn't expecting to see Santa.

Glad to hear it went well.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Your school mascot doesn't by chance wear a fur hat does it?

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The way you describe it, you were out in the middle of nowhere. If it is attached to your license, it would be pulled up when he runs the tags. He asked about the weapon in a way that sounds like he knew you had the permit, meaning it is likely it showed up on the computer. Knowing you possibly have a weapon and being on an empty road with no witnesses and a passer-by possibly a few hours away could cause him to be nervous.

Interesting how he knew the light was out though, the only thing I can think of is that he either had some binoculars or he looked through his service rifle's scope...

Damn! Bullhorn and ordered out.

That must have been a lot of fun. Glad all went well after that.

What do you think of those new LED lightbars? Pretty bright, eh?

Well, most of the LEO's in MO. are using LED emergency lights. It does look like Christmas.

Sounds like all went well!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

ok, that is enough. everyone in the group here needs to check the lights on there plates. that is too manny in a row now.

[edit] also, glad it all worked out (no ticket)
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    What do you think of those new LED lightbars? Pretty bright, eh?

Well, most of the LEO's in MO. are using LED emergency lights. It does look like Christmas.

Sounds like all went well!
    Springfield has gotten some of these, the old patrol cars are all white with blue text and the huge ugly bar. However the 2008 or 2009 models started painting them with a black/brown bar on the side and yellow text (sounds hideous but it is not) and the 2"-4" high LED bar. Those things will blind you if you look too close.

Police cruisers showing new stripes - blog - October 2008 - Springfield, MO

Quote Originally Posted by opalelement View Post
    The way you describe it, you were out in the middle of nowhere. If it is attached to your license, it would be pulled up when he runs the tags. He asked about the weapon in a way that sounds like he knew you had the permit, meaning it is likely it showed up on the computer. Knowing you possibly have a weapon and being on an empty road with no witnesses and a passer-by possibly a few hours away could cause him to be nervous.

Interesting how he knew the light was out though, the only thing I can think of is that he either had some binoculars or he looked through his service rifle's scope...
    I was standing there with my driver's license and CCW permit in hand...standing with my hand high and wondering, "What the heck?".

Then the officer exits his vehicle and stays in the dark shadows. I hand him my info, he looks at it and he says, "Sir, do you have a weapon on you now and if so, where is it?"
    I answered, "I'm a legally armed Floridian, and my Glock is on my right hip."
    He then says, "Sir, that's fine, just don't reach for, or touch the weapon."
    I replied, "Yes sir, not a problem."
    The OP provided the cop with his license and CC permit up front.

I'm not surprised he saw the plate light was out. 1st - we don't know where or at what distance he spotted the OP, he could have gone past the cruiser at a relatively close distance making it easy to spot, 2nd - he's accustomed to looking for things like that, something you might not notice jumps right out at him. Also, most patrol rifles don't have "scopes", no magnified optics, just 1x like Eotech, Aimpoint, etc.

I agree with retsupt99's wife as far as "trolling" for drunks - 11p the night before a holiday, car speeding on a back road - worth taking advantage of the burned out plate light to check someone. As far as having you get out of your car and walk towards the cruiser, that gives him opportunity to observe your demeanor, gait, balance, etc., like a little sobriety test before he even speaks to you. Gives him a moment to size up the stop.

Overall, it sounds like a good stop from both perspectives. It's always a PITA to get pulled over but, as seen in this case, courtesy and professionalism on everyone's part can make it an almost pleasant experience.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    The OP provided the cop with his license and CC permit up front.

I'm not surprised he saw the plate light was out. 1st - we don't know where or at what distance he spotted the OP, he could have gone past the cruiser at a relatively close distance making it easy to spot, 2nd - he's accustomed to looking for things like that, something you might not notice jumps right out at him. Also, most patrol rifles don't have "scopes", no magnified optics, just 1x like Eotech, Aimpoint, etc.

I agree with retsupt99's wife as far as "trolling" for drunks - 11p the night before a holiday, car speeding on a back road - worth taking advantage of the burned out plate light to check someone. As far as having you get out of your car and walk towards the cruiser, that gives him opportunity to observe your demeanor, gait, balance, etc., like a little sobriety test before he even speaks to you. Gives him a moment to size up the stop.
    Overall, it sounds like a good stop from both perspectives. It's always a PITA to get pulled over but, as seen in this case, courtesy and professionalism on everyone's part can make it an almost pleasant experience.
    Exactly what I was thinking. It gives the deputy the distance, time and advantage (him in the dark, you in the light, not able to see exactly where he is), he can check you out quickly and easily in such a manner. Great tactics by the deputy.
    Overall, a great stop. Glad it ended painlessly for you Retsupt99, by the way, since no one else has said it.....slow down
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links