Anyone carry kids while carrying? Retention issues?

Anyone carry kids while carrying? Retention issues?

This is a discussion on Anyone carry kids while carrying? Retention issues? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I applied for my license and am patiently waiting for it to come in the mail. Meanwhile, I'm trying to choose an EDC gun and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone carry kids while carrying? Retention issues?

Question Anyone carry kids while carrying? Retention issues?

I applied for my license and am patiently waiting for it to come in the mail. Meanwhile, I'm trying to choose an EDC gun and holster.

I have small kids that I often have to carry when we go out. Since my hands are often occupied either carrying things (kids or groceries, etc.) or buckling the kids up in the car, I'm wondering about weapon retention. Also wondering about printing when reaching for stuff (like putting them into their seat).

I'm wondering if I should get a holster with thumb break. But it seems hard to find a tuckable IWB holster with strap. Also wondering if I should get a firearm with a manual safety. I know I'd have to train extra for this combo. I'd prefer at least a 9mm. Right now I'm considering a S&W M&P 9mm compact.

Besides the gear, I think I need to try to be very aware of the surroundings and try to keep my strong side arm free. I'll probably try to get into the car, close the door and lock it before working the kid's seat buckles. Or at least tell my wife to keep an eye out for trouble when we're doing this.

Anyone else face this situation? Any advice?

It's concealed isn't it? If you are concerned about it then get something like a Serpa. I have a 4 month old and carry IWB or AIWB in a kydex holster, usually a RCS rig and have no issues. When I put his carseat in I get into the car, lock the doors, and snap him in, then I get into the car and drive off.

In the fall and winter, I carry a Kahr PM9 in a CrossBreed MiniTuck. I have a 2 and 5 year old. I have to carry my 2 year old a lot, so I usually just carry her on the opposite side of my firearm. Not because I am worried about retention, but I hate having the firearm dig into my side or get hit against me.

So unless you plan on OC, then I don't think retention will be a problem.

Most modern day holsters do a pretty good job of retaining firearms. Just make sure the holster you chose is for that particular gun. Not one that fits several different models.

As for kids and CCW, I never had any major concerns with CCW while my gun was on me. I just moved it from 3:00 to 4:00, and was good to go.

I now pocket carry, so its even less of a concern.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    ...I now pocket carry, so its even less of a concern.
    They're unlikely to have their hands in your pockets now. Wait 'til they're teenagers...
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    If it's concealed, retention is a very small issue.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

My youngest just turned four and is small enough to sometimes need to be carried. I've been in the habit of carrying the kids in my left (weak) side for years and it's served me well thus far.

When it comes time to put him in his car seat, tho, I'm forced to do so thru the door, as it isn't at all practical to do so from the front when it's just he and I. I use SA all the time, keeping an eye on my surroundings as best as I can.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

Thanks for the replies. I probably won't go with the safety or thumb strap. Main thing is to be alert.

I have four kids, 5 year old twins, 2 (almost 3) year old, and a 1 year old.. I carry any time I am legal to carry.. I have never had an issue.. When we go out as a family, I am generally with the baby and she is in a stroller.. If I have to carry anyone, they are on my weak side, and I will never keep anything on my strong side or my strong hand (except if I have to hold another child's hand).. The key is education with the kids.. They all know that if they are holding my hand, if I let go, the let go and get directly behind me.. They know not to touch daddy's gun at all, even when I have it on.. When they give me hugs and touch it, they know to move their arms either up or down..

As for retention, I carry a Springer XD40 in a crossbreed supertuck.. It is always concealed unless we go to a restaurant (July 1st cant get here quick enough).. Since VA is an OC state, I don't care about printing or if my shirt rides up.. My wife on the other hand, she is constantly checking up on me to see if I print.. My main issue is my mag holster, I do need to get a better one..

I think the only issue I have had is with my son (one of the twins) and he is a typical wild boy.. Several times he has been running around and has ran right into my side and his head has hit my gun.. At first, he would say that my phone hurt him.. Then he would realize that it was my gun and one time in a store he yelled out that my gun hurt his head.. We had a nice little talk about that and since then he never said it again.. I tried to do the "codeword" thing and say that it was a "hammer," but then that would really only work if we were in a hardware store..

As for a safety, that is a personal call.. Some people like them, some don't.. My main carry doesn't have a safety, but I also carry a Ruger p89 sometimes just for kicks.. If you decide to carry a gun with a manual safety, you need to practice practice practice taking it off.. Make it a muscle memory things, because when the situation comes where you might need to use a weapon, you can't think at all, just react.. Safety's are fine, just be sure to to practice enough with it.. For me, I am a point and click kindda guy.. Keeping it as simple as possible, my wife is the brain in the family not me.. So I need everything as simple as possible..

Well, that is my long advice.. Hope it might help somewhat..

I carry with an almost 3 year old and an 8 month old. Not an issue though I am careful to tuck my .380 in while my 3 year old isn't looking. She'll learn soon enough!

Jim

If I carry one of them it is on the weak side. They would complain about sitting on the gun anyway.

They have to hold my left hand in the parking lot too.

Shopping carts are your friend. Put them in there if possible. It also keeps your hands relatively free.

As stated, retention is no biggie for CC. A decent leather or kydex holster will have just enough retention to do the job.

The safety is more of a personal choice. But remember that the holster will cover the trigger. And you have to pull the trigger to make it go bang, except for some very unlikely mechanical failures. Personally I don't do the safeties any more. I make sure to always keep the firearm in a holster though.

I don't sweat the printing much anymore.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Yes I do and retention has never been a issue for me. The vast majority of time I carry right side IWB, 4 o'clock position, so that forces me to carry my grand daughter on the left hip, no big deal. My son mostly carry's an LCP in a pocket holster, so even less issues for him, but he does try his best to always have quick access to his carry pocket.
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

I have a 10 month old daughter (20 lbs +/-) who just wants to be carried 100% of the time, unless she's on a mission to cause trouble. I had a bit of an issue at first with my Crossbread IWB holster (I carry a G36) tugging down the pants (especially dress pants for some reason).

I ordered a nice gunbelt from Crossbread, and now there is no issue whatsoever, and it even helps carry her a bit as the belt is so strong I can rest her on it and it can support her a bit.

As far as the safety, I don't have an issue with the glock not having one, but that's a personal preference that requires commitment and practice. In the heat of the moment, I don't want to have to remember to take it off (especially if I have one hand grasping for my daughter/wife to get down and the other pulling the trigger), but that's me.

When I put her into the car seat (it's in the center of the back seat of my Mazda 6, which would require an almost full bend at the waist, with my back to the world), I usually sit next to her in the back seat on the drivers side, which lets me see my surroundings, and keep my right hand protected and available.

I've been thru 4 children....youngest is 7. Now I have a grand-daughter with another grandchild arriving ANY second...........(the DIL is MORE than ready for the arrival!)

As been previously posted, weak-side carrying of the young'uns is standard. Any IWB holster that covers the trigger and comfortable for you to wear is perfect. I don't bother with printing anymore either.

Stick to what you know and go on about your day......your sidearn is as much an extention of you as your children are.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    As been previously posted, weak-side carrying of the young'uns is standard. Any IWB holster that covers the trigger and comfortable for you to wear is perfect. I don't bother with printing anymore either.

Stick to what you know and go on about your day......your sidearn is as much an extention of you as your children are.

I use a a Comp-Tac, C-TAC for my Sig p228. It's on the right, carry the kid on the left. I try not to print, but don't worry too much about it as long as the pistol is covered.
    For that little bit of printing, don't worry about it. My blackberry prints more noticeably than my pistol. Unless I were seen by a fellow carrier, I think most people would assume the bulge is a cell phone in a belt holder, if they even noticed at all.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links