Florida vs Utah non resident permits

This is a discussion on Florida vs Utah non resident permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello. Ive been doing my research on getting a non resident permit for a few months now. I am trying to figure which one to ...

Thread: Florida vs Utah non resident permits

Florida vs Utah non resident permits

Hello. Ive been doing my research on getting a non resident permit for a few months now. I am trying to figure which one to get. Right now I am leaning towards the Utah permit since WA and MN are covered unlike the Florida license. This is correct, right? The Utah permit is a little bit cheaper from the get go and im willing to wait for it even though ive heard that Florida has a great turn around time. I understand that Utah doesnt require range time but you need to go to a Utah certified instructor's class which could be cons for some. Is the only benefit of having both in case one expires, you are covered(for the most part) with another?

Is there anything I overlooked in my research? Hopefully this will be a helpful thread for those in looking at both permits. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Well, they both cover WA, but FL Non-res status does exclude MN...I'd have no reason to visit MN.

I guess it depends upon where you live in the USA and where you travel.

If you divide it out by the year, UT is about $13/yr and FL is about $17/yr...not much of a difference in my book...for a much faster permit, I'd go FL.

Also, you can use the FL permit in UT, but you cannot use the UT non-res in FL.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; June 1st, 2010 at 09:36 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

UT used to be good in NV, but not any more.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Note for Nevadans who want a Utah carry permit so that they're covered in more states: you can easily find a concealed carry class in the Reno area that covers both Nevada and Utah. I suspect that this is true throughout the state.

Check the renewal price and procedures. I believe Utah is a lot cheaper and Utah does not require non residents to redo the fingerprint check.

i ended up getting both. The good thing about the Florida permit is that some sort of formal training is required (hunter ed, NRA class, Military training, etc.etc)which usually includes range time qualifications. This is good when applying for other permits. I think this requirement is the reason a lot more states have a formal reciprocity agreement with Florida.

The Utah class only requires training from a certified Utah instructor who just teaches Utah and Federal statutes.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Also, you can use the FL permit in UT, but you can use the UT non-res in FL.
    Think you made a typo there... Florida doesn't honor ANY non-resident unless there has bee a very recent and not publicized change in the law.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

ink
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy3rd View Post
    The good thing about the Florida permit is that some sort of formal training is required (hunter ed, NRA class, Military training, etc.etc)which usually includes range time qualifications. This is good when applying for other permits.
    good for when applying for other concealed carry permits you mean? how many do you need, you have already applied for two

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Think you made a typo there... Florida doesn't honor ANY non-resident unless there has bee a very recent and not publicized change in the law.
    THis is correct. If you plan on carrying in FL, and your home state is not honored by FL, then go with the FL license. Or as someone else mentioned go with both of them. UT initial app is $65.25+class fee...then $10 for renewal every 5 yrs. FL is $117 every 7 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    good for when applying for other concealed carry permits you mean? how many do you need, you have already applied for two
    I'm not the OP however,
    I took the NRA Basic class...and used it to get a non-res CT license. CT doesn't honor any other license. I will also use it to get non-res FL license probably later this year. As of right now I have PA, CT, and UT. The more licenses you get the better coverage across the USA.

I got both. although the Fl permit suits my needs I felt it was good to support both states who allow ccw. A little extra revenue for each
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    as many as I can to cover the most states, specially the ones that don't honor non-resident permits. I figured since I can't get a carry permit in my state, I might as well carry in the other ones where I can.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Correctomundo...my bad!

Technically, FL honors its own non-res...but I did mean to say cannot use the UT non-res in FL.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Permits are like Glocks and ammo, you can't have too many.

Check my signature line.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Links