The Art of Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on The Art of Concealed Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The way I feel concealed carry works, is that one should still dress and act in a manner that is comfortable for them, and works ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

The way I feel concealed carry works, is that one should still dress and act in a manner that is comfortable for them, and works for their firearm. Do not feel like there are only certain "concealable" guns. With the proper amount of practice and a small amount of work, anyone can conceal any gun. Also, do not feel that printing is a big issue, it isn't. Printing is only something that happens occasionally, and is not as noticeable as you think it is. My Blackberry prints more than a .44 magnum properly concealed. Over time, as you get more and more attached at the hip(pun intended) to your firearm, it will feel more a part of you. I look to blend my firearm into my ensemble, rather than just concealing it. A firearm under a white T-shirt is considered concealed in most states, however you will have a noticeable bulge with a larger frame firearm. Is the only solution to this to carry a smaller gun? No, it is not the only solution. It will solve the problem, but so will a cover shirt loosely tucked or untucked. Ok, so you do not like wearing long baggy shirts. Try an IWB holster that tucks into your pants. Then all that is required is to put a cover over top of it, such as your shirt, or for the outdoorsman, a nice photography or fishing vest. Problems with your paddle holster not holding close to your body? Try a pancaked belt slide holster instead, it will hold much closer to your body, and IMHO be much more comfortable. The point I am trying to make for those that want to carry a larger frame gun, that do not want to print or accidentally flash their piece, is that Concealed Carry is not an action you do for the heck of it. It is a life journey and an art form that must be practiced daily in order to become proficient. Once you find a way to conceal and carry comfortably, STICK TO IT. Try other methods on occasion, but if it works, why try to fix it? The important thing is, that once you make the decision to CC, find what works for YOU AND YOU ONLY. What works for Joe Anybody, may not work for you.

Carry responsible, and do good things with your CC masterpiece

Chris
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

A darker colored t-shirt will help hide a weapon much better than a white one!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

yeah, it will, good point that i missed
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Stripes.... and paragraphs.... are your friends.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Not just "darker colored", although that helps. A shirt with a print or pattern often works better than any solid-colored shirt (t-shirt or any other kind) because patterns break up the gun's outline. Also, I've found that woven shirts or thicker double-knits work better. Single knits, especially summer weight knits, print like crazy, even loose ones.

I'm female, around 5'7", overweight, and started carrying concealed just over a year ago. Here's what works for me:

1) Custom-made pancake holster. A flat pancake holster does wonders blurring the gun's outline. I got mine from Rob at Simply Rugged. (Google for the web site.)

2) Wear one of the following:
    - A top loose at least between chest and waist
    - A skirt loose from waist, with inset pockets that can have a slit
    - A pair of tailored slacks loose below the waist, with inset pockets that can have a slit

3) Attach the holster to any of the following:
    - To a belly band right worn under the bra.
    - To the support bra, between the cups. (Try this only if you wear C cups or larger.)
    - To a belt worn over an undershirt, above the waist so that the gun handle is hidden in the loose area.
    - To a low-slung belt or belly band, worn below the waist, underneath either a loose skirt or a loose pair of pants with a slit in the pocket.

I figured I'd mention these things because women aren't shaped like men (*duh*) and I see more good advice from and for guys for concealing a firearm than I do for us gals. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Sakeneko, i completley forgot to address women in my lack of paragraphs i called a thread, i apologize. One question though, because my girlfriend was reading over my shoulder and had this thought. you mentioned attaching a holster to a support bra. Do they make a holster for women specially designed for carrying there, or would someone have to adapt an uncle mikes or some other holster for the purpose? If they do make a specific holster for it, where could she find one?

You could wear a concealment shirt w/ holster

at masterofconcealment.com

Found this on Ebay for a revolver:

search for seller discreetcarry, there are a few types listed. I can't see this being comfortable for a larger gun.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post

search for seller discreetcarry, there are a few types listed. I can't see this being comfortable for a larger gun.
    The gun looks fine to me..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

You just have to show cleavage, both for easier access and to make sure guys don't look over there.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    The gun looks fine to me..
    What gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    I bow to your sarcasm! Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post

I don't think my wife would let me buy one of those for my revolver?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Sakeneko, i completley forgot to address women in my lack of paragraphs i called a thread, i apologize. One question though, because my girlfriend was reading over my shoulder and had this thought. you mentioned attaching a holster to a support bra. Do they make a holster for women specially designed for carrying there, or would someone have to adapt an uncle mikes or some other holster for the purpose? If they do make a specific holster for it, where could she find one?
    corneredcat.com, for a start. The site specializes in carry options for ladies.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links