Vigilantes in Britain

Vigilantes in Britain

This is a discussion on Vigilantes in Britain within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This subject has been talked about a little in different threads here and there but I wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are on the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vigilantes in Britain

Vigilantes in Britain

This subject has been talked about a little in different threads here and there but I wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are on the subject. I just watched a show on the Current channel about vigilantism in England and Wales. Everybody is getting sick of the criminals being able to do whatever they want because if someone stands up for themselves they will end up in jail and the police won't help anyone, so no matter what you do it is a lose lose situation. There are more and more groups sprouting up that are taking it upon themselves to patrol their neighborhoods to keep the thugs away.
    Now I can see the argument going either way on this one, but the question is; would repealing their ridiculous gun laws help or hurt this situation? I can see the argument of "well if they were able to have guns for SD then all the vigilantes would go get guns and the criminals would go get guns and everyone would start shooting." I can also see how if guns were now available for SD that criminals would think twice about going after people. I think its really interesting to look at as we are facing similar situations in certain cities here in the US.
    If this is in the wrong place I apologize and please move.
    I'm interested to see what everyone thinks....Thank You

Blood will run in the streets. The gutters will be full of bodies. Think about the childern. ( satire ) Crime will drop. Just like it every place here that allows its citizens to own firearms.
    Semper Fi

The reason the bad guys use guns is because they know you can not defend against them since you are a law abiding citizen. Once the law biding citizens are armed, the bad guys no longer have the upper hand and crime rates drop.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Quote Originally Posted by 4evrinblujns View Post
    The reason the bad guys use guns is because they know you can not defend against them since you are a law abiding citizen. Once the law biding citizens are armed, the bad guys no longer have the upper hand and crime rates drop.
    I fully agree!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Every where people are aloud to carry the crime rate goes down.
    Steven
    The "news media" has ceased being the watch dog of the people and has become the apologist for an irresponsible government.

People will only be abused for so long and then they will do something about it. It's like kicking your dog, even though he's your dog, he'll bite you if you keep it up!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

The way I understand it, they really cant defend themselves at all. While yes arming the law abiding would drop crime rates, the only way I see to give the guns back to the people is in small steps. As horrible as it sounds from a pro gun stand point that is the best way. Reestablish the legality to defend themselves in their home (castle doctrine type), then reestablish the legality of defending ones self in public. Introducing the right to bear arms slowly. I only say this because if we say "hey, errbody go grab yurn guns!" The people will and they will use them. Not a problem until the antis start crying about criminals dying. Once antis start crying then the laws may be reevaluated and repealed. If you take it slowly the antis wont see it and make as big a deal. Sorta like how they took em to begin with. They have put themselves in a terrible situation and they can come out of it, but it will take time. Same as in Chicago, Kommiefornia, DC and the like.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Baby steps. The U.K. would do well to reevaluate its case law regarding self-defense. Their statutes are actually remarkably similar to the average American state's, but the interpretation of the infamous "reasonable man" standard is way worse.

I doubt we'll see CCW in the U.K. in the next hundred years, but we may well see a thorough revamping of self-defense law.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1826 View Post
    ..... I can see the argument of "well if they were able to have guns for SD then all the vigilantes would go get guns and the criminals would go get guns and everyone would start shooting." ...

What do the statistics show? Are the bad guys using guns now?

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

The first step would be to 'allow' GB's subjects to defend themselves WITHOUT fear of prison.

If those people could just fight back and know they wouldn't get in trouble there'd be a lot of thugs giving a second thought to attacking, stealing, etc., etc., etc.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    What do the statistics show? Are the bad guys using guns now?

-
    I always take a gun to a knife or club fight.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

I don't know how repealing their nutty laws would hurt. If anything it may very well help. It seems in the UK and England in particular there are places where there are roving crowds of "youth" that look for victims to attack. They are usually armed with some sort of weapon or object to use as a weapon and they know for sure that odds are that their mark is unarmed and that that mark also knows he or she will go to jail if they attempt to defend themselves.

Repealing their gun laws could very well change that off kilter balance in the favor of the law abiding citizens. The criminals may take pause before attacking folks.

As to the vigilantism issues...I don't see a problem with it. The government that they have elected to charge with their protection is utterly failing. The few good people left have no other choice but to band together and do what they must to protect themselves.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Apropos of nothing at all ...

Fox News
    June 2, 2010

LONDON -- A taxi driver described as quiet but friendly went on a shooting spree across a picturesque rural area of northwestern England on Wednesday, killing at least five people and wounding 25 before apparently turning the gun on himself.

Officers found a body believed to be that of 52-year-old suspect Derrick Bird in woodland near the Lake District village of Boot, Cumbria police said. A gun was found alongside the body.

"I regret to report that a number of people have been shot and that at least five people have died," Prime Minister David Cameron told lawmakers in the House of Commons. "I can confirm that a body of a gunman has been found by police."

Police said that as well as the deaths, 25 people were wounded in shootings in the small town of Whitehaven and nearby Seascale and Egremont, about 350 miles (560 kilometers) northwest of London.

The BBC reported there had been shootings in 11 locations, not all of them fatal. Witnesses described seeing the gunman driving around shooting out the window of his car.

Barrie Walker, a doctor in Seascale who certified one of the deaths, told the BBC that victims had been shot in the face, apparently with a shotgun.

Witness Alan Hannah told the Whitehaven News that he saw a man with a shotgun in a car near a taxi stand in Whitehaven. Photos showed a body, covered in a sheet, lying in a street in the town.
    Local lawmaker Jamie Reed said people in the area -- popular with hikers and vacationers -- were in shock.

"This kind of thing doesn't happen in our part of the world," he told the BBC. "We have got one of the lowest, if not the lowest, crime rates in the country."

Multiple shootings are rare in Britain, where gun ownership is tightly restricted and handguns are banned.

In 1987, gun enthusiast Michael Ryan killed 16 people in the English town of Hungerford. In 1996, Thomas Hamilton killed 16 children and a teacher at a kindergarten in Dunblane, Scotland.
    Glenda Pears, who runs L&G Taxis in Whitehaven. said one of the victims was another taxi driver who was a friend of Bird's.

"They used to stand together having a (laugh) on the rank," she said. "He was friends with everybody and used to stand and joke on Duke Street."

Sue Matthews, who works at A2B Taxis in Whitehaven, said Bird was self-employed, quiet and lived alone.

"I would say he was fairly popular. I would see him once a week out and about. He was known as 'Birdy,"' she said.

"I can't believe he would do that -- he was a quiet little fellow."
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1826 View Post
    Now I can see the argument going either way on this one, but the question is; would repealing their ridiculous gun laws help or hurt this situation?
    Help. Period. This has been proven by every statistic known to man.

One small caveat, though: in the UK, they would also need to remove the insane laws against self defense before the guns would truly be effective.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by Bkrazy View Post
    I only say this because if we say "hey, errbody go grab yurn guns!"
    You just reminded me of that line in "Porky's" where the sheriff says, "Boys! Grab everything that kills!"

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links