My First Day Carrying

My First Day Carrying

This is a discussion on My First Day Carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, Made a thread few months ago about my application for a firearm permit, but turned out I had to wait few months because ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My First Day Carrying

My First Day Carrying

Hey guys, Made a thread few months ago about my application for a firearm permit, but turned out I had to wait few months because i needed those 3 months of bill as a proof of residency. Well, little fast forward, I went and applied as soon as I got the 3rd month of a bill (May 11) and drove down to a probate court to apply. It was a breeze, people at the fingerprinting office were super nice. Got my permit on May 25th which is 13 business days

Today was my first day I carried and felt very natural except for little rash on my skin from the grip rubbing against my skin. I am carrying a G23 with a IWB wifey found until i told her I carried today. Any advice on the skin rash? I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt and the gun at 4 to 5 o'clock.

Thanks guys

I always wear an undershirt, tucked in, under my t-shirts. I buy the form fitting summer poly undershirts wherever I find them on sale.. LAPG, Botach, REI, etc.

I dont have any reccomendations on the rash, sorry. But I do want to say congrats on your first day of carry. Be safe.

+1 to the undershirt. I can't stand the grip of my revolver rubbing my side (or the hammer scratching the heck out of me).

Being a gal, I just buy the $4 tank tops at Walmart - that way, I can wear them under my untucked work polo shirt, or under a camp shirt for casual wear.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    SuperTuck Deluxe

The leather covers the majority of the grip and it is so comfortable to wear, I forget that I have 3 Lbs of firearm/ammo on my hip. A little pricey, but well worth it.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Congrats on the CCL! I'll never forget how great if felt the first day I carried after getting mine.

No help for the rash, save the tshirt method mentioned above. I carry using an inside the pant holster and always wear a t to keep it off my skin.

Administrator
    Welcome into the fold.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    SuperTuck Deluxe

The leather covers the majority of the grip and it is so comfortable to wear, I forget that I have 3 Lbs of firearm/ammo on my hip. A little pricey, but well worth it.
    That looks nice. I wish they made it in a muzzle-forward cant for cross-draw carry...

Quote Originally Posted by Riana View Post
    That looks nice. I wish they made it in a muzzle-forward cant for cross-draw carry...
    You can adjust the cant by simply moving the clips either higher or lower (3 hole positions). I don't know how comfortable it would be for cross-draw carry though.

Call Crossbreed, He'll work with you.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I always wear an undershirt, tucked in, under my t-shirts. I buy the form fitting summer poly undershirts wherever I find them on sale.. LAPG, Botach, REI, etc.
    +1
    Its all about an under shirt. I have also placed moleskin on the inside of my C-TAC holster to make it a little softer. It also bites the t-shirt so it locks it down a little more.

VIP Member
    welcome to the club Jacob 24!! Congrats. I also wear a t-shirt under my button up, polos, and t-shirts, usually a "wife beater" tank style tee, no issues with any of my CC's rubbing a rash.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

[QUOTE
    Today was my first day I carried and felt very natural except for little rash on my skin from the grip rubbing against my skin. I am carrying a G23 with a IWB wifey found until i told her I carried today. Any advice on the skin rash? I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt and the gun at 4 to 5 o'clock.

Thanks guys[/QUOTE]

I always wear a "Wife Beater" style tank top under whatever shirt I wear for the day. Very light weight and and keeps gun from rubbing. Congrats on CCL!

First off congrats from your neighbor to the north and represent the clan well. I lived in Atlanta for 3 years and would move back for the right job.

Back on topic I get my IWB's from AKJ Concealco. They have slide shields that stop the slide from rubbing but I have never had a problem with holster leather against my skin. That said sometimes I wear a T or wife beater but with a polo just the slide shield against my old hide between 3:30 & 4:00.

4-5:00 is fairly far back from your hip and causing the grip to lay flat and tight against your body. Try moving it forward towards 3:30. this will rotate the grip out away from you a little into the natural hollow at your side. If that works you can probably move back to at least 4:00. If not use a T or change holsters to one designed for SOB carry.
    Good luck.

Forgot to add I carry a G23 quite often and have had no problems with the AKJ in the 3:30-4:00 position.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    There are 4 adjustment holes on each side, you can cant as you see fit. Really is a well built and thought out design.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links