LEO notification: smartcarry and passenger

This is a discussion on LEO notification: smartcarry and passenger within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After posting in a recent "LEO notification" thread, I got to wondering, anyone actually had to notify while using a smartcarry? How did it go? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEO notification: smartcarry and passenger

After posting in a recent "LEO notification" thread, I got to wondering, anyone actually had to notify while using a smartcarry? How did it go?

Also does anyone notify if they are carrying as a passenger in a vehicle that is stopped? I generally make it a policy to keep my mouth shut if I'm not directly involved.
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

It differs by state. In TX, if you are contacted by an LEO, you MUST notify no matter how you carry. To do otherwise is grounds to lose your CHL.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

I just let them know. It shows a trust factor and I believe a courtesy to men and women who have a dangerous job as it.

Interesting question regarding the smart carry. I know most of the time the LEO will just advise you to keep your hands clear of the gun. However, I also know that some LEO's want to take posession of your gun while they conduct their business. They would likely not want you to pull it out for them and I sure wouldn't like for them to reach down inside my pants to retrieve it.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by san antone rr View Post
    It differs by state. In TX, if you are contacted by an LEO, you MUST notify no matter how you carry. To do otherwise is grounds to lose your CHL.
    In TX, it's not "contacted by LEO" that requires one to notify, but rather specifically being asked for ID by an LEO that obligates a CHL holder to notify, only if he/she is CC'ing at that moment.

I make contact with LEO's frequently at the airport while CC'ing, but don't notify, as these "contacts" do not involve me being asked for ID.

GC §411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. (a) If a license
    holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's
    person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license
    holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license
    holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the
    department and the license holder's handgun license.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Quote Originally Posted by KimBobTex View Post
    In TX, it's not "contacted by LEO" that requires one to notify, it is specifically being asked for ID by an LEO to obligates a CHL holder to notify, only if he/she is CC'ing at that moment.

I make contact with LEO's frequently at the airport while CC'ing, but don't notify, as these "contacts" do not involve me being asked for ID.
    You are correct. By using the word "Contact" I meant in a situation that the LEO asks for ID. I misstated my thought.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

If I'm the passenger I keep my mouth shut unless I am directly addressed by the cop. IAW Hiible if I am asked I give my name I am not required to display my EDL unless I am driving the vehicle.

I just let them know. It shows a trust factor and I believe a courtesy to men and women who have a dangerous job as it.
    So how do you do this? Say you're in the back seat, officer comes up to the driver's window, says "Licence and registration" to the driver. Do you lean forward and say "excuse me officer, I have a carry license and a loaded revolver in my pocket, what would you like me to do?" Just curious.

still waiting on an actual smartcarry stop. I expect incredulity and wisecracks.
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

It differs by state. In TX, if you are contacted by an LEO, you MUST notify no matter how you carry.
    Correct.

To do otherwise is grounds to lose your CHL.
    No longer correct. As of the 2009 Texas legislative session, the requirement to present your CHL to any LEO who asks you for ID is still in effect. HOWEVER, the penalty for failure to present your CHL has been removed.

** As always, this information is specific only to Texas. Check your local listings for programming in your area **

In MI, where you are required to notify, I did many times. Sometimes in smarycarry, sometimes IWB. None of those times did the officer want me to disarm, so it wasn't much of a problem.
    One of the times I was a passanger, but the officer asked everyone for their ID, so I handed him both and informed him at that point in time.
    I now live in TN where I am not required to inform. In general though, if I am armed and am either giving a LEO my ID or am talking with him/her and getting out of the car, etc where theres a possiblity of them finding out, then I inform them. The last thing I want is for them to see that I have a gun and me not yet having informed them that I have a permit. That and its just curtious. they have a hard enought job as it is.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by wormtown View Post
    So how do you do this? Say you're in the back seat, officer comes up to the driver's window, says "Licence and registration" to the driver. Do you lean forward and say "excuse me officer, I have a carry license and a loaded revolver in my pocket, what would you like me to do?" Just curious.

still waiting on an actual smartcarry stop. I expect incredulity and wisecracks.

If he starts addressing me and contacting me, yes. If not I just relax and let the traffic stop happen ;)

In Ohio, if you're in the vehicle and carrying, you must notify.

I wouldn't if it were not required by law.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Different strokes for different folks....I don't have a problem notifying
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

I'm with Revman. If I were a police officer doing a traffic stop, I would want to be told up-front if anybody in the car was carrying. I haven't been in that situation, but if I am, I plan to notify the officer that I am carrying even though Nevada does not require it unless the officer specifically asks. I plan to do the same in any other state. The old golden rule is a good guide to many things.

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    The last thing I want is for them to see that I have a gun and me not yet having informed them that I have a permit. That and its just curtious. they have a hard enought job as it is.

What if you're in a state that doesn't require a permit to carry in your vehicle?

I know plenty of people who legally carry in their car W/out a permit what if the cop sees their gun?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links