My best friend thinks I'm looking to start trouble...

This is a discussion on My best friend thinks I'm looking to start trouble... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I informed my friend several months ago I was getting my concealed carry permit and was going to start carrying a gun. He's reaction ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My best friend thinks I'm looking to start trouble...

My best friend thinks I'm looking to start trouble...

So I informed my friend several months ago I was getting my concealed carry permit and was going to start carrying a gun. He's reaction was shock and thought I was stupid. I've gotten my permit and have been carrying almost everyday and it has slowly become apart of me. Leaving the house without my pistol is now worse than leaving without my cell phone. He lives out of town and I finally got him to come in town and hang out. We have talked about hunting and guns the last couple months but no more about concealed carrying. He actually asked if we could go shoot. Would love to was my response. I packed a range back with several pistols, ammo and picked up my lady's father on the way. He was his carry permit as well. We spent the afternoon shooting, talking about technique, the carry process, why we carry and our general thoughts on guns. He seemed to really enjoy him self and said he wanted to do it again some time. On the way home I asked him if this made him want to get a gun for home protection. A snappy "no" followed. I don't need a gun in my house he said. I dropped the subject. Today he called me and said he was talking to his dad about his experience and that his dad was pissed at me and wanted to have a sit down conversation with me next time I'm in town. He followed up by saying he felt because I carry a gun, I'm looking to pick a fight. I was shocked by his statement. Told him that was he's opinion and he is totally wrong by that statement. It's been on my mind all day and was really pissed him off. Its pre ignorance on my part. I just had to share this with you guys.

My question is that have you guys been in the same situation and how did you handle it.

Thanks, Brent

2. Remove Ads

Time to get new friends.

Welcome to DC. I haven't been in that situation, but IMO he doesn't sound like much of a friend. I would have told him that his "daddy" could mind his own business. Inform your friend that it's a choice you've made to protect yourself anywhere you go, that the cops are not going to be there when you need them. If he thinks they will, then he is sorely mistaken.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Brent1202 View Post
    So I informed my friend several months ago I was getting my concealed carry permit and was going to start carrying a gun. He's reaction was shock and thought I was stupid. I've gotten my permit and have been carrying almost everyday and it has slowly become apart of me. Leaving the house without my pistol is now worse than leaving without my cell phone. He lives out of town and I finally got him to come in town and hang out. We have talked about hunting and guns the last couple months but no more about concealed carrying. He actually asked if we could go shoot. Would love to was my response. I packed a range back with several pistols, ammo and picked up my lady's father on the way. He was his carry permit as well. We spent the afternoon shooting, talking about technique, the carry process, why we carry and our general thoughts on guns. He seemed to really enjoy him self and said he wanted to do it again some time. On the way home I asked him if this made him want to get a gun for home protection. A snappy "no" followed. I don't need a gun in my house he said. I dropped the subject. Today he called me and said he was talking to his dad about his experience and that his dad was pissed at me and wanted to have a sit down conversation with me next time I'm in town. He followed up by saying he felt because I carry a gun, I'm looking to pick a fight. I was shocked by his statement. Told him that was he's opinion and he is totally wrong by that statement. It's been on my mind all day and was really pissed him off. Its pre ignorance on my part. I just had to share this with you guys.

My question is that have you guys been in the same situation and how did you handle it.

Thanks, Brent
    Yep, something similiar happened with me. I was told that I would feel invincible and get myself into trouble. And that guy also owns a gun, but somehow doesn't think average citizens can handle it.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Time to get new friends.
    Sad, but true. Sounds like they have their minds made up. No matter how reasonable you are, or how many facts you present, their minds are probably made up.

Are you known to be a trouble maker? Constantly picking fights? Probably not. Since when does carrying a defensive weapon make you more probable to pick fights? Police officers, Sentrys at military bases, private security guards are all armed- for defensive purposes- and you are well within your rights to defend your life and those you love.

If you must speak with them, id tell them that its your right to protect your live and those you love. That your motive for carrying is purely defensive. Like I said, their minds are probably made up about that. Welcome to the Forums BTW!
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]
    Beretta PX4 Storm .45 / Springfield Armory XDM 9 / Springfield Armory 1911 Milspec / Smith Wesson 686 / Bushmaster XM-15 E2
    DPMS A-15 Oracle / Remington 870 Express Magnum / Remington 597 .22

Ignorance is bliss isn't it. The older I get more more that rings home.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Honestly, I haven't been carrying that long, just got my permit a few months back. I've never had an issue where I have needed a gun and didn't have one. What I fear, and hope I never come across is a time when I need a gun and have it. If your friend needs to understand why you need to carry, find some of the posts here... there are plenty of worst case scenarios to choose from.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I can tell you were trouble from the first time we met, it's a shame the way you've turned out.

Just joking with you partner. It seems his Dad is the real problem, he's dependent on his Dad's approval it seems or else he wouldn't want to talk to you. Quite frankly, I would tell his Dad, thanks but no thanks, you have a Dad and his son is an adult and can make his own choices, time to cut those strings loose. Say it nicely though.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

VIP Member
    Welcome!

One of the many reasons that I enjoy this forum so much is that this is the only place that I talk about carrying a firearm. I have several friends and family members that think like your friend. I decided that in their naive little world of bliss, they just don't have a 'need to know'. If they were to ask, I'd tell them, but I'm not going to bother with the hassle of trying to convert them. It's like arguing about God with an athiest. Either they 'get it', or they don't.

Brent, me personally have not experienced this. Yet I have had a friend of my ex call me paranoid. I wouldnt go dumping friends cause they dont agree with you, Just as long as he respects your decision and leave it at that. Now as far as his father goes....Im assuming your friend is over 21, right?....pfftt!

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    if his dad wants to talk to YOU about it, he has the problem with YOU carrying and YOU taking his son to the range, If your friend is under 18 which is possible to be in states with the carry age being 18, his dad has every right to not allow him to own a gun, personally, i would tell him to tell daddy its none of his buisness what you carry on your belt or where. respect him if he says not in my house, but other than that, ignore him, he cannot dictate to you a legal adult what to do, nor for that matter can your parents. i would be a bit more polite to my parents than i would him though. Just like the one woman who knew my mother and saw me open carrying told me "I am going to call your mother on you for carrying a gun, you're looking for trouble." i said go right ahead and call her, dosent make any difference to her. if you have a LTCH, then by all means put the CH in LTCH
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Brent,

As has already been said, you pick your friends. Decide whether or not this friend and his dad will remain so by how they handle this. If you all end up agreeing to disagree, they could (in my opinion) remain friends. If they issue ultimatums, then that is a different story.

None of us here know you, so I'm going to 'suppose' something which may or may not have anything to do with you and your character.

Have you been a hothead in the past?
    Have you gotten into trouble, or instigated some situations?

Things like the above COULD (remember, I have no idea, I'm just 'supposing') be what causes them to hold the opinions they do.

If the above questions are not true of you, their issues are just that-THEIR issues.

Feel free to talk to them rationally, without emotion, and explain why you have made the decision to exercise your 2nd Amendment rights. Talk to them about the bad world we live in, and things that could happen, and that you have chosen not to be a victim, by adding one more tool to your kit, just in case.

If they can't get that, might be time to get new friends.

Welcome to the forum and to the community of those who carry for their and their families' safety.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I do not honestly think any of us that carry are looking for trouble. I choose to beat feet and run away today from a situation that could have turned bad. I wanted to get away. Not stick around and make things worse.

I will always look for a way to get out before I ever have to draw my weapon. I carry to protect my life and that is all. Ignorance is bliss sometimes.

Unless you know how to talk 'sheep', leave the father to his own opinion...you'll never change him.
    Go about your own business and don't worry about those who just don't get it yet. If things get worse with the economy and crime (and it will), they'll come around.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; June 2nd, 2010 at 06:30 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

What's frustrating about my friends point of view is that he has known me since I was 15, I'm 30 now and knows I've never been in a fight. I'm not going to convince him nor am I going to try. He's mind is made up. Its just frustrating that people out there feel this way. He asked if I had been in a situation in which I needed a gun, no i said and I hope I never am but if I'm forced into that situation I'll be prepared. I asked why you keep money in a savings account, so in case of an emergency like the hvac goes out in the house or your transmission fails in your car you have money to pay for it. I carry a gun because an emergency can arise. As far as his dad, he's always telling everyone what he thinks, but he aint my dad. Agree to disagree.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links