Travelling to California from Florida with my CWP...

This is a discussion on Travelling to California from Florida with my CWP... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Am I right in thinking that I am out of luck if I travel to California from Florida and want to still carry? I know ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travelling to California from Florida with my CWP...

Travelling to California from Florida with my CWP...

Am I right in thinking that I am out of luck if I travel to California from Florida and want to still carry?

I know my florida permit is not accepted in California, but is there any way I can still carry, or anything else I should know about?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

you can Open Carry unloaded but you gotta be careful about not carrying near school...and you can't have a mag that holds more than 10 rounds
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    you can Open Carry unloaded but you gotta be careful about not carrying near school...and you can have a mag that holds more than 10 rounds
    Yeah, the more I'm reading about their state laws the more I don't like it. I guess I'll be leaving it at home...

Anyone have any more input?

Don't go to Kommifornia?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Don't go to Kommifornia?
    I have an expo to go to =)

Ah. Well in good conscience I can't tell you to just carry and not get caught. I'd say read up and find what knives or OC you can carry, maybe a kubotan.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by javahawk View Post
    Yeah, the more I'm reading about their state laws the more I don't like it. I guess I'll be leaving it at home...
    Youre going to leave your carry weapon at home while literally driving across country...because you cant carry in one state? I moved my mother from San Francisco to Austin this previous January. I made it a point to take 2 pistols...and I flew there.

I wasnt willing to take the risk of driving 2000+ miles unarmed, and at the time I didnt even have a CHL, but I felt like having at least one pistol in the UHaul at all times was vital....criminals know that UHauls are full of people's valuable personal belongings.

Im not trying to tell you what to do, but you can legally have your pistol in your car in California, and you can open carry, but not taking your pistol just because of one state? The majority of your trip will not be in California...just saying.

I mustve misread...I thought the OP said he was driving from Florida to California! My bad!!!!
    Last edited by JAguirre; June 2nd, 2010 at 04:53 PM. Reason: I mustve misread...I thought the OP said he was driving from Florida to California! My bad!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by javahawk View Post
    I have an expo to go to =)
    I would skip it

sfo
    i'm from California and say do not bring or carry any weapons in California. general rule.

I live ten miles from the California border, Javahawk, and am frequently in California because of family who lives there and work that takes me there. If I were facing your situation, I would first verify that the hotel I was staying at in California does not have a no-firearms policy. (And switch hotels if it does.) Then, I would bring one firearm that takes a magazine with a capacity of ten or fewer rounds, and also bring the locking case for that firearm. At the border, I would disarm, unload the gun, and lock it up.

Once at the hotel where the conference is being held and checked in, I'd load the gun and keep it for self defense at night. During the day when I wasn't in the room, I'd unload it, lock it in its case, and ask the hotel to put it in the safe. I would carry pepper spray and perhaps a high-intensity flashlight where I couldn't have the gun. Those are legal in California, and while not as good as a gun are a lot better than nothing. (Just be sure that you know how to use them.)

Good advice given above. You are taking on quite a project. Be careful and fully understand the laws state to state. You will have to do your homework to stay good. Gives me heartburn thinking about it, but I wouldn't take a trip like that unarmed either. Good luck, have fun, and stay safe..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I was driving cross country, I'm flying in...

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    The majority of your trip will not be in California...just saying.
    +1

Your Florida CCW has reciprocity with every state between Florida and California with the exception of Nevada. Please do not travel across country without your 'best friend'
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I was driving cross country, I'm flying in...
    in that case...

I would skip it
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    in that case...
    Yeah, I think I'll just leave it... Thanks guys =/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links