Nonresidence Permits

Nonresidence Permits

This is a discussion on Nonresidence Permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering and maybe others also what state has the fastes turn round time and easiest to get? I read about FL & PA but ...

Lightbulb Nonresidence Permits

Just wondering and maybe others also what state has the fastes turn round time and easiest to get?
    I read about FL & PA but are there any others that are just as quick or hassle free?

I know you can do Utah remotely - no need to be in Utah. They also do not have a shooting requirement. All you have to do is find a Utah certified instructor and attend a several hour class.
    NRA Life Member

CT....40 days from time i mailed app to the tiime i received license...done completely thru the mail.

I don't have it yet...but ME can also be done thru the mail. They claim 60 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Harleycolt View Post
    Just wondering and maybe others also what state has the fastes turn round time and easiest to get?
    I read about FL & PA but are there any others that are just as quick or hassle free?
    PA(through Centre County) is the fastest that I got. NH was quick in the past(but may be longer now). VA is said to be quick as well. You will need proof of training for VA,FL,UT,ME,and CT(which was fairly quick too-about 1 month for me).
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

I showed up at the Cuyahoga County (Ohio) Sheriff's Department in downtown Cleveland at 3 PM on Wednesday, October 15, of last year and submitted my application.

On Saturday, October 17, my permit was in my mailbox!

If that's not a record, it's definitely close to being one!

Centre County, Pa., was 7 days round trip! NH was about 60 days, but they say they are faster now that the price went up.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    PA was about a week; ME took about 2 months; NH was also about 2 months. Of course this was a long while back so it may have changed by now.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Fl was real quick, less than 4 weeks. and it will give you lots of reciplical states
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

Pennsylvania is done by mail $26 USD valid for 5 years and recognized by the following states VA,WV,GA,NC,IN,TN,TX,ND,SD,MO,MT,UT,KY,LA,AZ,AK,AR ,.Florida CCW for non residents is not good in PA,NH,CO,.Connecticut,Maine,New Hampshire can be done by mail.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleycolt View Post
    Unless things have changed, PA requires that you have a permit from your home state before they will issue a non-resident. Didn't see that mentioned in this thread!

Check out the Virginia requirements... Not sure what their current wait time is.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by hunter won View Post
    Pennsylvania is done by mail $26 USD valid for 5 years and recognized by the following states VA,WV,GA,NC,IN,TN,TX,ND,SD,MO,MT,UT,KY,LA,AZ,AK,AR ,.Florida CCW for non residents is not good in PA,NH,CO,.Connecticut,Maine,New Hampshire can be done by mail.
    PA is also recognized by FL, WY, ID, OK, NH, MI, and VT where no license is needed.

FL non-resident IS good in PA, but not NH, CO, MI, SC and ME

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Unless things have changed, PA requires that you have a permit from your home state before they will issue a non-resident. Didn't see that mentioned in this thread!

Check out the Virginia requirements... Not sure what their current wait time is.
    Things have NOT changed...home state license is still required to get non-res in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    PA is also recognized by FL, WY, ID, OK, NH, MI, and VT where no license is needed.

FL non-resident IS good in PA, but not NH, CO, MI, SC and ME

Things have NOT changed...home state license is still required to get non-res in PA.
    What about if you're a VT/IL/WI/DC resident? I thought they'll issue since there is no permit in those states.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    What about if you're a VT/IL/WI/DC resident? I thought they'll issue since there is no permit in those states.
    Fixed it.

home state license, if one is potentially issued by your state, is still required to get non-res in PA

Here's the exact wording:

(ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).
    DC is not a state...but they do have a "permit system" in place....

Links