NV non-resident CC class experience

This is a discussion on NV non-resident CC class experience within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For Memorial Day weekend, my better half and I, had planned to spend a few days in Las Vegas so I thought I would take ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NV non-resident CC class experience

NV non-resident CC class experience

For Memorial Day weekend, my better half and I, had planned to spend a few days in Las Vegas so I thought I would take the opportunity to take NV's CC class and the only place I knew that had a set schedule is the The Gun Store. I called ahead of time and put my name for their Saturday CC class list.

Since you have to qualify with the firearm you're going to carry, I went in first thing Friday morning and brought with me my Beretta 92fs and my S&W .357 revolver (I used .38 ammo). Fortunately, qualified with both, although I must admit qualifying with a 2'' barrel revolver, for me, was a little tough at at 15 yards.

On Saturday the class ran from 9 to 5:30ish (loooong), but the instructor's were very knowledgeable and made it interesting. For anyone interested in the FL and UT permits, they are part of the curriculum.

Overall the experience at The Gun Store was very good and I would recommend them.

Also, transporting two firearms from O'Hare to Vegas and back, was very smooth (thanks American Airlines).

Thought I'd share, best regards...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I took The Gun Store's CCW course 4years ago. My experience was the same as yours- good class. knowledgeable instructor. I got the packet for Utah and Florida, and received those as well as my resident NV permit. You my not realize it, but while it is necessary here to qualify with each gun that you want to carry (and they are listed on the back of your permit, when you qualify with 1 revolver, you can carry ANY revolver. It is just pistols which require that you qualify with each. Personally, I think that this is ridiculous. Why did I have to qualify with my Glock 19 and my Glock 26 in order to carry each? And I'll have to qualify with my Glock 30 if I want to carry it. I qualified with my XD45, it's silly that I must qualify with my XDm 9. Oh well, those are the rules, and overall, Nevada isn't bad for CCW. Enjoy your next visit!
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

I had a semi decent experience with the Gun Store CCW instructor. He pushes his beliefs and laws and preaches it to the class. He dissuades people from open carrying by saying it's illegal (which is perfectly legal in NV) or by saying that you be treated with a felony stop. He also tells everyone (especially Glock owners) to carry unchambered. I hope you didn't have that same experience.

There were a few of us that went there, new to NV, and we were talking about the NV laws on another forum. We were so way off that Kurt Geptke (local CCW instructor and forum member) had to step in correct us multiple times. It got to the point where he offered to sit with us and correct the misinformation free of charge.

I went and took my renewal class with him recently because I knew that he is well versed with NV firearm laws. He even gave me a packet with very useful information in case I needed to refer back to the things he covered. I highly recommend him.

If anyone ever plans on traveling to NV, please refer to NRS 202 and read the firearms section.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

Do they have a website?
    IAFF 2623
    Everyone comes home!

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    I took The Gun Store's CCW course 4years ago. My experience was the same as yours- good class. knowledgeable instructor. I got the packet for Utah and Florida, and received those as well as my resident NV permit. You my not realize it, but while it is necessary here to qualify with each gun that you want to carry (and they are listed on the back of your permit, when you qualify with 1 revolver, you can carry ANY revolver. It is just pistols which require that you qualify with each. Personally, I think that this is ridiculous. Why did I have to qualify with my Glock 19 and my Glock 26 in order to carry each? And I'll have to qualify with my Glock 30 if I want to carry it. I qualified with my XD45, it's silly that I must qualify with my XDm 9. Oh well, those are the rules, and overall, Nevada isn't bad for CCW. Enjoy your next visit!

The Gun Store charges a separate fee for each qualification...do all the schools do that?

Quote Originally Posted by moggie6 View Post
    Do they have a website?

The Gun Store Las Vegas

GM
    Glad you enjoyed it and thank you for sharing.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Shotdown;1643735]I had a semi decent experience with the Gun Store CCW instructor. He pushes his beliefs and laws and preaches it to the class. He dissuades people from open carrying by saying it's illegal (which is perfectly legal in NV) or by saying that you be treated with a felony stop. He also tells everyone (especially Glock owners) to carry unchambered. I hope you didn't have that same experience.QUOTE]\\

I must have had a different instructor. as mine never said OC was illegal. He did recommend that we not do it in the resort corridor (the Strip), as there may be a man with a gun call to Metro. He
    also never said to carry unchambered.

"The Gun Store charges a separate fee for each qualification...do all the schools do that?"

When I took my class 3 years ago, there wasn't a separate class fee for Utah and Florida, just a $5 each charge for the paperwork. I have no knowledge of the other schools.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

"The Gun Store charges a separate fee for each qualification...do all the schools do that?"

When I took my class 3 years ago, there wasn't a separate class fee for Utah and Florida, just a $5 each charge for the paperwork. I have no knowledge of the other schools.

What I was referring to was this:

CLASS COST
    Class cost is $75 including qualifying with 1 firearm and an additional $25 for each additional firearm. The 5 hour class to renew an existing permit is $50 with the same $25 extra for every gun beyond one.
    Permit applications for Utah and Florida are included at no cost if you wish to apply to those states concurrently.

guns

Thats as in many things in life, the rules are made by the clueless and not those that actually do the task. It would make sens at least to do caliber and maybe brand (like the 19 and 26) but that would make too much sense. As an instructor I teach RTFM and know your particular firearm but the amazing thing is, I think NV is the only state that does this and all the others (to the best of my knowledge) have not had a rash of injuries with people not knowing their guns - maybe Nevada has different air or something that impacts the working of te firearm. ahh ha that might be it.
    NRA Certified Instructor, MADFI Certified Instructor
    Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
    XD 9 MM, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 9MM, XDM 40,
    XDM 40 Limited, XDM 5.25 Canyon Creek Custom 9 mm

Front Sight offers a package deal that include all the paperwork, notory,fingerpints and photo.

CLASS COST
    Class cost is $75 including qualifying with 1 firearm and an additional $25 for each additional firearm. The 5 hour class to renew an existing permit is $50 with the same $25 extra for every gun beyond one.
    Connecticut is not perfect, not even close, but I am so glad we don't have to put up with this nonsense.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by moggie6 View Post
    Do they have a website?
    www.teamdigit.com

[QUOTE=Squawker;1645248]
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotdown View Post
    I had a semi decent experience with the Gun Store CCW instructor. He pushes his beliefs and laws and preaches it to the class. He dissuades people from open carrying by saying it's illegal (which is perfectly legal in NV) or by saying that you be treated with a felony stop. He also tells everyone (especially Glock owners) to carry unchambered. I hope you didn't have that same experience.QUOTE]\\

I must have had a different instructor. as mine never said OC was illegal. He did recommend that we not do it in the resort corridor (the Strip), as there may be a man with a gun call to Metro. He
    also never said to carry unchambered.

There was a gentleman that was disarmed at gunpoint but Metro has been getting formal training on open carry now since it happened. While not recommended, it's not illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    That's it.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

got my ccw at American Shooters on Arville St. in Las Vegas. Very knowledgeable and thorough course. Though long. The course was $100. We did the range qualification first which i really liked. Better to get that out of the way first for several reasons. And I must say that he didn't really score anyone, just made sure we could shoot the gun and hit the target. The Utah permit was an extra $50 I believe and $75 for Utah & Florida. An extra 20 minutes to tell us the minor differences and to help us fill out the paperwork for those states. Anyways, it was a pleasant experience and would recommend American Shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by dyvegas View Post
    got my ccw at American Shooters on Arville St. in Las Vegas. Very knowledgeable and thorough course. Though long. The course was $100. We did the range qualification first which i really liked. Better to get that out of the way first for several reasons. And I must say that he didn't really score anyone, just made sure we could shoot the gun and hit the target. The Utah permit was an extra $50 I believe and $75 for Utah & Florida. An extra 20 minutes to tell us the minor differences and to help us fill out the paperwork for those states. Anyways, it was a pleasant experience and would recommend American Shooters.

Maybe i'm mis-understanding what you are saying here....but the UT course is supposed to be a minimum of 4 hours by itself....can not be combined with any other course work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links