This is why I started carrying....

This is a discussion on This is why I started carrying.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is one of the reasons I wanted to start carrying. In New Iberia, Louisiana, a close friend of my dad's was getting ready to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is why I started carrying....

This is why I started carrying....

This is one of the reasons I wanted to start carrying. In New Iberia, Louisiana, a close friend of my dad's was getting ready to close his pawn shop. Three young black teen males walk in and take a look around. Eventually, they approached the owner, with a handgun and demanded his money. He put all his money on the counter. As the three were trying to load their loot, the owner took his handgun and pointed it at them. A gun fight ensued. The only fatality was the pawn shop owner. When the medical examiner turned his body over, they found his .25 automatic in his hand, misfired.

Always, always, ALWAYS make sure your handgun works.

2. Remove Ads

Welcome aboard! Glad to have you on board.

Very sorry to hear about your friends dad. Definitely a bad outcome.

And you are correct sir, if you have a gun you want to bet your life on, you better make damn sure it reliable. And also carry enough gun to get the job done.

It's very sad because this poor man probably had a wide variety of decent guns at his disposal which would be much better suited for defensive use than a .25 cal automatic. Which not only is known as an extremely inept round, but also a gun platform known to malfunction on a semi-regular basis.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

In my mind, if you are not really a "gun person," you might best be served by starting out with a revolver. Hell, I consider myself to be a gun person and I still carry a S&W J-Frame about half the time.

A very sad and unfortunate situation and it is too bad the pawn shop owner lost his life.

It is common however for a few of those who do wish to have a firearm for self defense to not understand the dynamics of one. They believe that any firearm will function flawlessly out of the box and this is not a good way to begin using one. Revolvers and semi-autos all have their quirks as well as choosing an adequate caliber. Not to start a caliber war, but the .25 auto is not the best to begin with. Too bad he didn't have access to a forum like this or did not have anyone to instruct him in the ways of firearms.

One of my co-workers bought a Taurus revolver brand new and took it to the range shortly after and the hammer would not strike the primer of the cartridges. He sent it back and it was repaired, but had he not tested the gun, it would not have been very useful in a self defense situation.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Miserable story and sorry to read of the loss of your friend's father.
    SA Loaded 1911
    XD45 Service
    XDs45

Sad story. I won't carry a gun until I've run at LEAST 200 rounds through it flawlessly. As has been noted, in his case, a good, reliable large caliber revolver would have served his purpose much better. I wonder why he picked the .25 semi?

Sorry for your loss. That is a sad story.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Terrible loss...my condolences to your friend. Like others have said, the .25 was a poor choice in a defensive firearm. My guess is that he hadn't shot it much, because if it had done that more than once or twice he probably would have replaced it.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I thought I would add that part of the reason that I decided to carry is two of my mom's close friend's were murdered, my friend's dad was carjacked and murdered, and my granddad foiled a robbery of his drug store with his gun.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    That's so sad.....so sorry.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Sorry for your loss! You definitely need to practice with any gun you are going to trust your life with. Practice with both target and SD ammo that you will be using to make sure your gun will function well with it.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by hellhound94 View Post
    In my mind, if you are not really a "gun person," you might best be served by starting out with a revolver. Hell, I consider myself to be a gun person and I still carry a S&W J-Frame about half the time.
    Nuth'n wrong with carrying a wheel gun. I'm usually more accurate with a revolver and carry reloads with them, but then I carry reloads with my semi-autos too.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Sorry to hear about your friend's dad.
    A man must know his limitations...a man must know and trust his weapons...life is short enough.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I'm sorry to hear that. I have a cousin who runs a pawn shop; he's been robbed several times.

One time they even broke into his home and forced him to open the pawn shop. Fortunately, he has NOT been killed yet. But, he did come VERY close the time they broke into his home.

Well I have resisted posting this for several days but here goes. I have been around guns heavily for 40+ years. I consider myself very knowledgeable about guns ( mistake #1). I bought a used defensive/tactical shotgun and took it out to shoot for the first time and racked a shell into the chamber and did not know what way the safety worked ( mistake #2). I went with a group of men to shoot clays ( this was not a skeet group) and I bet 3 out of 5 shooters watched their first pigeon fall to the ground becuase they did not know how to get their guns off safety and were not ready to shoot. ( lesson #1). I just bought a Kimber and tried to drop the first round into the chamber and then insert the magazine so the first round would not be drawn from the magazine and the gun would be loaded 1+7. I didn't let the slide go hard hard enough to sussessfully chamber the round, essentially a jam. In a fire fight that mistake could cost me dearly. ( lesson #2) Result, get off my high horse start from scratch with the basics and safely KNOW all my defense guns inside and out, get muscle memory about their functions, know by feel not sight, their safe/shoot conditions, train with my defense guns in every concieveable condition so I know exactly what it will and will not do, EVERY TIME, NO SURPRISES. I have failed to realize my short commings in being prepared for self defense. Every gun requires routine practice. Self defense with a gun that you can not operate is worse than no gun at all. I will solve this problem and hope it won't happen to you.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links