WV CCW Laws

This is a discussion on WV CCW Laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do signs in WV carry the weight of law? I was at the Huntington Mall over the weekend and noticed that in the rules of ...

Thread: WV CCW Laws

WV CCW Laws

Do signs in WV carry the weight of law? I was at the Huntington Mall over the weekend and noticed that in the rules of the mall all weapons were banned. It was on a small sign that covered loitering, weapons, behavior and such. I'm sure all malls have these rules posted somewhere.

I also heard there are som strange rules in Charleston that were "grandfathered" into the CCW laws. What is that all about?

Anything else I need to Know?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    Do signs in WV carry the weight of law? I was at the Huntington Mall over the weekend and noticed that in the rules of the mall all weapons were banned. It was on a small sign that covered loitering, weapons, behavior and such. I'm sure all malls have these rules posted somewhere.

I also heard there are som strange rules in Charleston that were "grandfathered" into the CCW laws. What is that all about?

Anything else I need to Know?
    I believe the signs may work like any other place-if they see you carrying, you'll be asked to leave,if you don't you're trespassing. The signs I have seen are so ridiculous you actually have to make an effort to find them. The Regal cinemas, for example, have a tiny sign at the ticket counter along with much larger signs for no smoking or video recording.
    Charleston is grandfathered as far as open carry goes. You should be able to CC no problem.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

It's illegal to carry in/around the capital complex in Charleston. I'm not sure about the specific area, it may be posted. Also there is some space in Dunbar that is off limits for carry; I think it's around the courthouse or town hall, I don't remember, other that it being a weird exception.

The WV State code is online, and I believe the AG's office website has a list posted of where you can and can't carry. You can also walk into the sheriff's office and get a book the state had printed up with a list of all applicable laws.

I think press1280 is right about the signs.

Here's a link to my copy of the WV Firearm Laws booklet. Take a look at pg. 14 sect. 61-3B-3 and pg. 29 sect. 61-7-14. It also looks like there is no specific requirements for signage so large, small or in between would legally be allowed.

Hope this helps.

http://www.jbellphotography.com/foru...irearmLaws.pdf
    Vietnam Veterans of America - Life Member
    NRA - Life Member / GOA - Life Member
    SAF - Life Member / AzCDL - Life Member
    Avid motorcyclist for over 50 years.

A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent upon arriving - Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by jbphoto357 View Post
    Here's a link to my copy of the WV Firearm Laws booklet. Take a look at pg. 14 sect. 61-3B-3 and pg. 29 sect. 61-7-14. It also looks like there is no specific requirements for signage so large, small or in between would legally be allowed.

Hope this helps.

http://www.jbellphotography.com/foru...irearmLaws.pdf
    Thanks for the link.

Here in Colorado Denver was termed a "Homerule" city and can prohibit open carry without signage. CCW was un-effected in Denver, sound like Charleston is the same. The way the pamplet read I thought all the parks, city pools, etc in Charleston were off limits for CCW. I don;t gey yje Dunbar thing either, what's so special about Dunbar?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    Here in Colorado Denver was termed a "Homerule" city and can prohibit open carry without signage. CCW was un-effected in Denver, sound like Charleston is the same. The way the pamplet read I thought all the parks, city pools, etc in Charleston were off limits for CCW. I don;t gey yje Dunbar thing either, what's so special about Dunbar?

Thanks.
    Dunbar, Charleston, and I think Princeton were "grandfathered" in when the CCW/preemption law took effect. There's nothing special about it(apologies to any Dunbar residents!); I'm assuming it's just something overlooked when the law went into effect. WVCDL has a bill that will clear this up and allow the state to have total preemption and not allow towns to have their own gun laws.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Links