Open (mouth) carry

This is a discussion on Open (mouth) carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at a presentation today about networking stuff and sat next to a guy that was advocating that we all get our carry permits. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open (mouth) carry

Open (mouth) carry

I was at a presentation today about networking stuff and sat next to a guy that was advocating that we all get our carry permits. That's all well and good.

When he kept suggesting that I should think about it (I was carrying at the time) I responded by saying that I might do that, but if I start talking about it, it wouldn't really be concealed any more.

I encourage other people to explore the idea of CCW, but I guess I'm just a little more reluctant to shout it from the roof tops.

2. Remove Ads

meh...nothing wrong with talking about it
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

When I carry concealed with my permit, I am doing NOTHING illegal, or anything for which I should be ashamed. Gathering converts is doing the Lord's work.

I carry concealed, not covert.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    When I carry concealed with my permit, I am doing NOTHING illegal, or anything for which I should be ashamed. Gathering converts is doing the Lord's work.

You don't have to be obnoxious about it, but I believe you should encourage it, especially if it's people you actually give a crap about. Some people need to hear it from people they know to help remove the stigma.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

VIP Member
    Funny. Yeah, I've had more than one knuckle-head try to convert me in the ammo aisle of Walmart. Some even go as far as to show me what they're carrying (SC is a cc only state). I must look like a . CC is just that. If you tell people that you're carrying, it kind of defeats the point.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Funny. Yeah, I've had more than one knuckle-head try to convert me in the ammo aisle of Walmart. Some even go as far as to show me what they're carrying (SC is a cc only state). I must look like a
    It's good to look like a . That means your concealment is perfect!

The ONLY reason why so many people are against guns and or any kind of carry is because the ONLY messages they see in the media and repeated by those who parrot it, are anti-gun messages.

If you want popular support for our rights, you'd BETTER put out a contrary message, preferably a coherent, lucid, fact based one.

Silence will ALWAYS be trumpeted as assent.

I try to influence people that I think may be on the fence but there are those you just can't reason with.I do bring up the subject just to see if there is any interest and to spead the word. Can I hear an amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMEN!

Quote Originally Posted by crazy4tat2s2 View Post
    I try to influence people that I think may be on the fence but there are those you just can't reason with.I do bring up the subject just to see if there is any interest and to spead the word. Can I hear an amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Amen!!
    As an example, I recently had a very short telephone discussion about concealed carry with a person that I thought was a very good friend. (CLUE: she works at a university) We've known each other for a good number of years and have kept in touch by phone and email as each of us moves about the country. For whatever reason there were some things that never came up in conversation before such as the fact that I was a NRA life member and carried. She was horrified that I would even think of carrying a gun. Long story short I've not heard from this person since and my emails have not been answered.

Oh well.... another that can't be reasoned with.
    Vietnam Veterans of America - Life Member
    NRA - Life Member / GOA - Life Member
    SAF - Life Member / AzCDL - Life Member
    Avid motorcyclist for over 50 years.

A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent upon arriving - Lao Tzu

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Three quarters of my time at work is trying to convince people to take my class. If I don't advocate that people carry, I make no money.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post

Covert and Concealed mean the same thing, you realize?

I think you likely mean coNvert, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    CC is just that. If you tell people that you're carrying, it kind of defeats the point.
    How so? Concealed means "can't see" not "secret squirrel". I can understand not wanting to tell a stranger that you're carrying and where, but sooo many people use that phrase when talking about friends and family...?

As said above, I think that trying to convert folks is not at all a bad thing.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Three quarters of my time at work is trying to convince people to take my class. If I don't advocate that people carry, I make no money.
    LOL! As long as your priorities coincide w/the 2nd Amendment, right...?
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

I've told a few people, but then they outed me at very inopportune moments. They did it ignorantly, but still, it wasn't very cool.

I'm very careful to whom I reveal my carrying.

I had to tell my older kids,(14 & 8) I knew it was just a matter of time before they found out, so I had to explain to them why I did it and that no one is supposed to know.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post
    How so? Concealed means "can't see" not "secret squirrel". I can understand not wanting to tell a stranger that you're carrying and where, but sooo many people use that phrase when talking about friends and family...?

As said above, I think that trying to convert folks is not at all a bad thing.
    I prefer "gray man" over "secret squirrel", but whatever term works for you . Very few have 'need to know' that I carry. I certainly don't discuss it with strangers, which I believe is what the OP was referring to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links