Trying to simplify my carry life.. need input..

This is a discussion on Trying to simplify my carry life.. need input.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I usually carry my PT145 IWB with my airweight 642 as a bug on my ankle. I also carry a Kimber Guardian Angel pepper ...

Ok, I usually carry my PT145 IWB with my airweight 642 as a bug on my ankle. I also carry a Kimber Guardian Angel pepper spray. I recently purchased a PT738 TCP. I carry it either IWB or in a Bulldog cell phone case for the lighter days. Now I know the .38 round is better than the .380. I want to carry one firearm and not two now. I'm thinking of focusing on carry options for my 642 with a speed loader to have extra ammo, because revolvers almost always go bang if they don't pull trigger again to turn cylinder. My reasoning for this is when I carry my PT738 I carry an extra mag because I feel like since I'm carrying a smaller caliber I need more ammo. All input welcome.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

How do you plan on carrying IWB or OWB? If you go IWB I highly reccomend the Crossbreed supertuck. When I need to tuck my shirt in, I carry my 642 in the supertuck and it literally disappears under my shirt. (I still havent gotten my XD to do the same).

The supertuck is alot of leather for a small pistol and when I dont have to tuck in my shirt I use an Uncle Mike's pocket holster for the 642.

These are just how I carry, the options for carrying a 642 are numerous and there are a ton of holsters.

BTW I carry two speedstips in my pocket, cant help with the speedloader.

Take a combat shooting class and learn to draw faster & shoot better.

It will force you to evaluate your choices under pressure, and make your choices much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Take a combat shooting class and learn to draw faster & shoot better.

It will force you to evaluate your choices under pressure, and make your choices much easier.
    Best advice yet!

Once you take a defensive shooting class and are put through the paces of real world situations, you'll have a much better ability to evaluate your needs.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by ccroom View Post
    . . . Now I know the .38 round is better than the .380. . .

I too like the .38 round, but don't automatically assume a .38 is better than a .380. The modern .380's are not comparable to what was available just 5 short years ago. The testing below is from 2006, so that means there are several new self-defense available now, beyond the two they recommend.

AMMUNITION FOR THE SELF-DEFENSE FIREARM

You have better stopping power than any .38 snub-nose revolver (the long-time favorite concealment sidearm) when you load your .380 with these two rounds.
    -Federal 90 gr. Hydra-shok
    -Cor-Bon 90 gr. JHP
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

Tuff Strips or Speed Strips are much easier to carry around than a speedloader, even a 5 round J frame loader. If I must limit myself to a small gun for some reason I usually carry more ammo than usual. Just seems like the right thing to do.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

In tests in Ballistic Gelatin, Hornaday Critical Defense .380 rounds penetrated further than some .45 name brand defense rounds. IIRC, they penetrated between 8 to 9 inches and the round did not fragment. It mushroomed to .5" in diameter.

Just use the best rounds available and practice so you hit were you aim.

Links