A man without a state

A man without a state

This is a discussion on A man without a state within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am deployed right now. I am trying to decide which state to get my permit from. First, I am from Ga, and plan to ...

Thread: A man without a state

Question A man without a state

I am deployed right now. I am trying to decide which state to get my permit from. First, I am from Ga, and plan to be PCSing back to Benning in a year or less. I have a Ga DL and own a home there. I am currently station at Bliss in Tx. I claim Tx residency as for the Army and taxes.

I am redeploying in 2 months, and will go to Ga for block leave. When I get home I will have change my DL to Tx so I can get my Tx CCW. I was considering getting my Ga CCW while on leave and while I still have a Ga DL. Keep in mind I don't have to have CCW in Ga while I am active duty. I would just like to a Ga CCW. Should I apply for a non-resident Ga CCW? Will they think I am crazy if I still have a Ga DL? If I get a resident Ga CCW, will it be voided upon getting a Tx DL, which kinda makes me a Texan.

I still love Georgia, and Texas is a close second.

you can get a non resident texas permit. or get a florida permit...you could do the florida through the mail with your DD214 or something similar.
    Drew Steele NREMT-P
    Kimber Custom 2 TLE
    Glock 23
    Glock 36
    Sig 229
    Ruger LCP

Whoa! State ADD?

Why not get both? When you move back to Georgia use your GA CCW, and keep the TX CHL as a backup in case you lose your wallet, id, etc.

You could take the Texas CHL class now, and apply as a non-resident, using what your GA address will be.

Quote Originally Posted by TangoMonkey View Post
    Keep in mind I don't have to have CCW in Ga while I am active duty.
    Could youy clarify this statement please?

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Could youy clarify this statement please?
    Active Duty Military members can concealed carry in the state of Georgia without a permit.

My OP was a bit ADD. I was trying to keep it brief. I am concerned if I get a resident CCW from GA, then change my DL and get a resident CCW from TX, will the GA CCW be voided? Can a person have two resident CCWs? Does being in the military put me in a funny grey residency area, like the Twilight Zone?

Any active duty service members should have their pick in my opinion. Maybe they ought to have the universal privileges that some of our nations law enforcement enjoy? I think that might be a good benefit to those that have served or are serving actually. All of them deserve at least that. State of residence? If you've gone out of country in the service for the country, then you should be entitled to a free pass in my opinion. I'll leave you with my best even though my best might not get you where you should be right now. It's the thought that counts, and I've been there, but not exactly where you are now. Thank you for your service from a former service member.

Active Duty Military members can concealed carry in the state of Georgia without a permit.

My OP was a bit ADD. I was trying to keep it brief. I am concerned if I get a resident CCW from GA, then change my DL and get a resident CCW from TX, will the GA CCW be voided? Can a person have two resident CCWs? Does being in the military put me in a funny grey residency area, like the Twilight Zone?

yep since you're in the military service of the US then you are exempt from the permit system in Georgia just like a cop...and have the no off limits locations at the state level ;)

O.C.G.A. 16-11-130
    Exemptions from Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-128

(a) Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-128 shall not apply to or affect any of the following persons if such persons are employed in the offices listed below or when authorized by federal or state law, regulations, or order:

(1) Peace officers, as such term is defined in paragraph (11) of Code Section 16-1-3, and retired peace officers so long as they remain certified whether employed by the state or a political subdivision of the state or another state or a political subdivision of another state but only if such other state provides a similar privilege for the peace officers of this state;

(2) Wardens, superintendents, and keepers of correctional institutions, jails, or other institutions for the detention of persons accused or convicted of an offense;

(3) Persons in the military service of the state or of the United States;

(4) Persons employed in fulfilling defense contracts with the government of the United States or agencies thereof when possession of the weapon is necessary for manufacture, transport, installation, and testing under the requirements of such contract;

(5) District attorneys, investigators employed by and assigned to a district attorney's office, assistant district attorneys, attorneys or investigators employed by the Prosecuting Attorneys' Council of the State of Georgia, and any retired district attorney, assistant district attorney, district attorneys investigator, or attorney or investigator retired from the Prosecuting Attorneys' Council of the State of Georgia, if such employee is retired in good standing and is receiving benefits under Title 47 or is retired in good standing and receiving benefits from a county or municipal retirement system;

(6) State court solicitors-general; investigators employed by and assigned to a state court solicitor-general's office; assistant state court solicitors-general; the corresponding personnel of any city court expressly continued in existence as a city court pursuant to Article VI, Section X, Paragraph I, subparagraph (5) of the Constitution; and the corresponding personnel of any civil court expressly continued as a civil court pursuant to said provision of the Constitution;

(7) Those employees of the State Board of Pardons and Paroles when specifically designated and authorized in writing by the members of the State Board of Pardons and Paroles to carry a weapon;

(8) The Attorney General and those members of his or her staff whom he or she specifically authorizes in writing to carry a weapon;

(9) Chief probation officers, probation officers, intensive probation officers, and surveillance officers employed by and under the authority of the Department of Corrections pursuant to Article 2 of Chapter 8 of Title 42, known as the "State-wide Probation Act," when specifically designated and authorized in writing by the director of Division of Probation;

(10) Public safety directors of municipal corporations;

(11) Explosive ordnance disposal technicians, as such term is defined by Code Section 16-7-80, and persons certified as provided in Code Section 35-8-13 to handle animals trained to detect explosives, while in the performance of their duties;

(12) State and federal trial and appellate judges, full-time and permanent part-time judges of municipal and city courts, and former state trial and appellate judges retired from their respective offices under state retirement;

(13) United States Attorneys and Assistant United States Attorneys;

(14) County medical examiners and coroners and their sworn officers employed by county government; and

(15) Clerks of the superior courts.

(b) Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-128 shall not apply to or affect persons who at the time of their retirement from service with the Department of Corrections were chief probation officers, probation officers, intensive probation officers, or surveillance officers, when specifically designated and authorized in writing by the director of Division of Probation.

(c) Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-128 shall not apply to or affect any:

(1) Sheriff, retired sheriff, deputy sheriff, or retired deputy sheriff if such retired deputy sheriff is receiving benefits under the Peace Officers' Annuity and Benefit Fund provided under Chapter 17 of Title 47;

(2) Member of the Georgia State Patrol or agent of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation or retired member of the Georgia State Patrol or agent of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation if such retired member or agent is receiving benefits under the Employees' Retirement System;

(3) Full-time law enforcement chief executive engaging in the management of a county, municipal, state, state authority, or federal law enforcement agency in the State of Georgia, including any college or university law enforcement chief executive that is registered or certified by the Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council; or retired law enforcement chief executive that formerly managed a county, municipal, state, state authority, or federal law enforcement agency in the State of Georgia, including any college or university law enforcement chief executive that was registered or certified at the time of his or her retirement by the Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council, if such retired law enforcement chief executive is receiving benefits under the Peace Officers' Annuity and Benefit Fund provided under Chapter 17 of Title 47 or is retired in good standing and receiving benefits from a county, municipal, State of Georgia, state authority, or federal retirement system; or

(4) Police officer of any county, municipal, state, state authority, or federal law enforcement agency in the State of Georgia, including any college or university police officer that is registered or certified by the Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council, or retired police officer of any county, municipal, state, state authority, or federal law enforcement agency in the State of Georgia, including any college or university police officer that was registered or certified at the time of his or her retirement by the Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council, if such retired employee is receiving benefits under the Peace Officers' Annuity and Benefit Fund provided under Chapter 17 of Title 47 or is retired in good standing and receiving benefits from a county, municipal, State of Georgia, state authority, or federal retirement system.

In addition, any such sheriff, retired sheriff, deputy sheriff, retired deputy sheriff, active or retired law enforcement chief executive, or other law enforcement officer referred to in this subsection shall be authorized to carry a pistol or revolver on or off duty anywhere within the state and the provisions of Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-128 shall not apply to the carrying of such firearms.

(d) A prosecution based upon a violation of Code Section 16-11-126, 16-11-127, or 16-11-128 need not negative any exemptions.

HISTORY: Code 1933, 26-2907, enacted by Ga. L. 1968, p. 1249, 1; Ga. L. 1974, p. 481, 1; Ga. L. 1979, p. 1019, 1; Ga. L. 1982, p. 3, 16; Ga. L. 1982, p. 789, 2; Ga. L. 1984, p. 22, 16; Ga. L. 1985, p. 283, 1; Ga. L. 1986, p. 1205, 2; Ga. L. 1988, p. 472, 1; Ga. L. 1990, p. 558, 1; Ga. L. 1991, p. 94, 16; Ga. L. 1993, p. 604, 1; Ga. L. 1994, p. 547, 2; Ga. L. 1996, p. 416, 6; Ga. L. 1996, p. 748, 12; Ga. L. 1997, p. 514, 3; Ga. L. 1998, p. 657, 1-3; Ga. L. 2000, p. 843, 1, 2; Ga. L. 2003, p. 140, 16; Ga. L. 2006, p. 531, 1/HB 1044; Ga. L. 2008, p. 577, 16/SB 396.
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    yep since you're in the military service of the US then you are exempt from the permit system in Georgia just like a cop...and have the no off limits locations at the state level ;)
    That I did not know. That is great, so I can go into a county courthouse CCing? I dont plan to go to court much, but still cool.

I think you will find in your research, that your primary CWP will be from your state of residency (Texas if I've read your post correctly). When you PCS to GA, you will need to confirm GA law as it applies to CWP and military and/or residency. It might be easier to get a non-resident CWP from a state which is recognized through reciprocity with GA. That would give you TX CWP as resident and non-resident from state of your decision to cover GA. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

The Georgia Permit will be valid if you move as long as your other state honors it...also if your planning on getting one in GA id wait a few more days as the cost should drop when the gun laws are signed by the governor ;) and because you can already carry now
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs

That I did not know. That is great, so I can go into a county courthouse CCing? I dont plan to go to court much, but still cool.
    The Sheriff of the county can have a security plan so you may have to check it but the Public Gathering part of the law does not apply to you

I suggest you go over to Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org and read up on the laws..you can also carry in bars(and consume alky although its not recommended) and you can carry concealed without a holster because your exempt from that too....

theres an AG opinion over there under the gun laws tab about military carry
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs

Since you've decided to keep Texas as your official State of Residence (very smart for tax purposes), once you get your Texas license and your resident CCP there...the rest is pretty easy...Texas has reciprocity with the most states (someone correct me if I'm wrong...counting isn't my strong point)...

Just remember, the Texas resident permit is tied to the Texas license...

I cried when I retired and had to give up Texas residency...and start paying income taxes again...

Good luck, and thanks for your service...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

You should be able to carry in every state!
    Thank you for your service!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't have time to distinguish between the unfortunate and the incompetent, The end result is always the same!
    Curtis Le May (1906 - 1990)

Quote Originally Posted by Acouguitar View Post
    You should be able to carry in every state!
    Thank you for your service!!!!!!!!!!
    I agree.... thank you for serving our country.

Military can have dual residence. Your home of record (this case TX). And your duty station. You can maintain your home of record DL.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Sponsored Links