Went to the bank in Indiana....

This is a discussion on Went to the bank in Indiana.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been in Indiana now for 2 weeks. (still miss Tennessee really bad by the way) I went to a bank not from from ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Went to the bank in Indiana....

Went to the bank in Indiana....

I have been in Indiana now for 2 weeks. (still miss Tennessee really bad by the way) I went to a bank not from from my work place to open an account as the bank we were with in Tennessee is not up here.

When I went in, I did not see any signs saying no carry. (I was not carrying as I was on my lunch hour from work) but I went into a ballistic box, with a door on the entrance and the door on the exit of the box, that lets you out into the bank lobby, would not open until the entrance door was closed and magnetically sealed. There is also a metal detector you must walk through like at the airport!

This is all very new to me. The banks in Tennessee did not have anything at all like this. And there was a sign on the door as you enter the bank telling you not to wear ball caps or sunglasses into the bank.

What gives with all this? No sunglasses or hats? Really? Am I allowed to carry into a bank in Indiana? Did I just pick a screwy bank or what?

Every single day here makes me miss the South more and more. We may be residents of the Hoosier state for a year or two but I definitely see us moving back to Tennessee one day in the not too distant future.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IN_Mike View Post
    What gives with all this? No sunglasses or hats? Really? Am I allowed to carry into a bank in Indiana? Did I just pick a screwy bank or what?
    Sounds like you picked a bank that has been knocked off a few times. We did not have stuff like this on our bank branch til it was hit a few times.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    To the best of my knowlege, you cannot take a firearm into a bank anywhere. Definately not in Florida.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

My credit union (in Ohio) is posted with a "no hats, no sunglasses, no burkas" sign. They also have a teeny "no guns" sign but it's hard to find. Blah. So guess I have to leave my burka at home.
    Buckeye Gumby

An armed woman is a citizen. An unarmed woman is a subject.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    To the best of my knowlege, you cannot take a firearm into a bank anywhere. Definately not in Florida.
    Strike one. Strike two.

Banks are not off-limits in either Florida or Indiana.

You are incorrect Sir! I encourage you to do a bit more research. It is extremely difficult to be "up" on the laws of all states, BUT you definitely need to be up on your state. FYI, as long as the bank is not posted, I have no problems in carrying into banks in SC.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

here in ma at my bank it saids no hats, sunglasses and hoods.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I have been in Indiana now for 2 weeks. (still miss Tennessee really bad by the way) I went to a bank not from from my work place to open an account as the bank we were with in Tennessee is not up here.

When I went in, I did not see any signs saying no carry. (I was not carrying as I was on my lunch hour from work) but I went into a ballistic box, with a door on the entrance and the door on the exit of the box, that lets you out into the bank lobby, would not open until the entrance door was closed and magnetically sealed. There is also a metal detector you must walk through like at the airport!

This is all very new to me. The banks in Tennessee did not have anything at all like this. And there was a sign on the door as you enter the bank telling you not to wear ball caps or sunglasses into the bank.

Every single day here makes me miss the South more and more. We may be residents of the Hoosier state for a year or two but I definitely see us moving back to Tennessee one day in the not too distant future.
    No way would I put up with that every time I had to go to the bank!

I'm sure there are other banks who would like your business

VIP Member
    We have a similar rule here in Arizona banks. You canít bring in belted ammo so othersí donít trip over it.
    ďMonsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.Ē
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    We have a similar rule here in Arizona banks. You canít bring in belted ammo so othersí donít trip over it.
    In Tx like within 5 minutes of the Border we don't have that,as far as hats and sunglasses they ask nicely on the door,no 30.06 anti carry sign and I tiptoe in
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You can carry in a bank in MN as well..

B
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

EdC
    I've lived in Indiana (Indianapolis) for years. There is definitely no law in Indiana prohibiting carry in banks. No banks I've been into have signs regarding a bank's no carry policy. Never been in a bank with the security measures you describe. If you don't mind my asking, where in Indiana was this bank?

There's a great little book called Indiana Handgun Law, by Brian Ciyou. The second edition is nicely laid out, and will tell you everything you will want to know about the law in Indiana.

The "no hats, no sunglasses" and apparently now no burkas rule they put up are so that the person waltzing in can be identified on camera / police lineup in case they do hold up the place. I think that's reasonable to expect people to be able to identify you when you're doing business there. Disarming legal CC'ing gun owners is not reasonable though in my book.

I'd personally be more afraid of going in to a bank that has gone to that drastic of a measure, because they only do that when past experiences make them afraid to otherwise. Sure the bank is safe, but as soon as you cash a check and walk outside what's going to be waiting for you?
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

Incorrect. Re-check F.S. 790.
    Nowhere are banks mentioned in the list of off-limit places.

Other states may vary.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    You are incorrect Sir! I encourage you to do a bit more research. .

I have taken your advice, and you are correct... upon further review, there is no statute in FL law which prohibits carrying in a bank, although, I do seem to remember the instructor of my CCW class (I know, don't bother... especially since the class was held at a gunshow, mass attended and bare minumum as far as interraction.) stating that banks were off limits. In hindsite, his verbage may have been to the effect that carrying in banks was ill advised. And before you mention it, yes, he did state that it is MY responsibility to be up to speed and clear on firearms laws.

He also told us that we were obliged by law to provide knowlege that we are carrying, and produce our permits immediately upon encountering LEO. In reviewing state statutes, I do see where I have to provide "On Demand", however, I do not see that I am required to provide if not asked. That being said, I think I have seen it on one of the NRA sites with state law linds, but in review, I cannot seem to locate that verbage again. Anyone have any insite?
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links