No carry in restaurants

No carry in restaurants

This is a discussion on No carry in restaurants within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't have my CWP yet but I am in the process of acquiring it. In NC it is not permitted to CC or OC ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

No carry in restaurants

I don't have my CWP yet but I am in the process of acquiring it. In NC it is not permitted to CC or OC in any establishment that serves alcohol.

It seems to me that the highest risk time of actually being accosted by someone is when walking to or from the vehicle at night in the city before or after dinner. But if you have to leave your weapon in the car, this leaves you defenseless at the most important times.

Are there any other CCW holders in states with similar laws that have something to say about this issue, recommendations etc?
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Fortunately, in Florida, you may carry in the restaurant as long as you are not sitting at the bar, and not drinking.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

VIP Member
    It varies by state.

Arizona was the same way until about a year ago.

When we were in Charlotte for the NRA convention, not being able to go into a licensed restaurant drove me crazy. We were pretty much limited to fast food and mall food courts.

In Washington State I can go into a licensed restaurant, but not the "bar section".

The best resource is Handgunlaw.us.

Be sure to do your research before traveling to another state to make sure you stay legal.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

In Kansas (where I live) and many others, CCWing in a "restaurant" is OK as long as your not at or in the "bar" area. For example, a Red Lobster or Applebee's or simular restaurant is OK.

Different states have different statutes on whether you can drink or not and to what level. The NRA only advises to never drink and carry or use a gun as this impares your judgement... some states allow it to a point and others have written into their statutes that you waive the right to deny a breath test and some other things that a "car driver" would normally have available.

Check your states CCW statutes or call your AG's office or the office that administers your CCW permits and rules.
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    Fortunately, in Florida, you may carry in the restaurant as long as you are not sitting at the bar, and not drinking.
    I'm very thankful of this =D

On July 1st it will be legal in Virginia to CCW in restaurants where alcohol is served. Of course you cannot consume alcohol.

The NRA only advises to never drink and carry or use a gun as this impares your judgement...
    I should hope that the good people posting and reading here have the where-with-all and restraint to know better than to drink to the point of being impared while carrying/using a firearm. And please do not misquote me, I am not saying with authority "NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER DRINK ANYTHING AND USE A GUN", but I hope you know your limits and are mature enough to respect them.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Quote Originally Posted by Bandolero View Post
    On July 1st it will be legal in Virginia to CCW in restaurants where alcohol is served. Of course you cannot consume alcohol.
    Is there any effort being made to pass a similar law in NC?
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

I should hope that the good people posting and reading here have the where-with-all and restraint to know better than to drink to the point of being impared while carrying/using a firearm. And please do not misquote me, I am not saying with authority "NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER DRINK ANYTHING AND USE A GUN", but I hope you know your limits and are mature enough to respect them.
    Werd!
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

GM
    I am afraid that you misunderstood something here. In FL, if you are carrying a firearm you are not allowed to be in the bar section at all like you say; however you can drink a beer or a glass wine with you lunch as long you are sitting in the restaurant section. It is weird, but that is the law .
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

jfl
    Yep, I agree !
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I am afraid that you misunderstood something here. In FL, if you are carrying a firearm you are not allowed to be in the bar section at all like you say; however you can drink a beer or a glass wine with you lunch as long you are sitting in the restaurant section. It is weird, but that is the law .
    GM, you are right, I misspoke, you cannot be in the bar at all. And as far as not drinking at all, that is my personal rule.
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

GM
    GM, you are right, I misspoke, you cannot be in the bar at all. And as far as not drinking at all, that is my personal rule.
    Got it
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    I don't have my CWP yet but I am in the process of acquiring it. In NC it is not permitted to CC or OC in any establishment that serves alcohol.

It seems to me that the highest risk time of actually being accosted by someone is when walking to or from the vehicle at night in the city before or after dinner. But if you have to leave your weapon in the car, this leaves you defenseless at the most important times.

Are there any other CCW holders in states with similar laws that have something to say about this issue, recommendations etc?
    In PA...you can not only carry into a bar but you can also drink while carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandolero View Post
    If you read that new law...it says can't drink while concealing....

In Tn we just passed (for the second time) a law allowing us to carry in resturants. The first tiem some liberal judge deemed the law unconstitional. so we had to go through the crap all over again.

What gets me is in NC you can't carry into a "finanical" instutuion. Shoot I open carry in mine sometimes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links