Driving from New Mexico to Washington state.

This is a discussion on Driving from New Mexico to Washington state. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So it looks good all the way untill I get to Washington. Big discussion here in New Mexico about getting a CCW from another state ...

Thread: Driving from New Mexico to Washington state.

Driving from New Mexico to Washington state.

So it looks good all the way untill I get to Washington.

Big discussion here in New Mexico about getting a CCW from another state and why anyone would want to.

The reason is right there. I do not have reciprocity in Washington State with my NM CCW.

So what should I do..............Can I have my gun in a gun safe in Washington state as a visitor? It seems that I can't protect myself at all in Washington state? What about in my hotel room.....can I protect myself there?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    NRA-ILA ::

You cannot have a loaded firearm in your vehicle. Unloaded in the trunk should be OK.

You should be able to have it in your hotel room, as it should be considered your residence during your stay.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

VIP Member
    Time to get a non res permit or three.

Utah is reasonably quick and you can do that by mail from NM.

Also look into getting a Washington non res permit when you get there. They will not do it by mail.

For more info click on http://handgunlaw.us/documents/NonResidentPermits.pdf.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    NRA-ILA ::

You cannot have a loaded firearm in your vehicle. Unloaded in the trunk should be OK.

You should be able to have it in your hotel room, as it should be considered your residence during your stay.
    Unloaded in the car OK. Doesn't even need to be in the trunk. You could duct tape it to your forehead if you wanted to.

Hotel room OK.

Open carry elsewhere.

What part of Washington state are you heading to?

Quote Originally Posted by ak56 View Post
    Open carry elsewhere.

What part of Washington state are you heading to?
    Wife has family in Seattle.......I have family on Lopez Island.

Where Can a visitor Open Carry? Seattle?

Seems more sensible to allow reciprocity with NM...........Derned laws....just silly

OpenCarry.org - State Information For Washington
    "Washington is an open carry state. However, the practice is not common due to serial misinformation about the legality of it among law enforcement. There are significant efforts by OpenCarry.org members to educate the law enforcement agencies, you may see the progress on the state forum. You are also not allowed to carry a loaded handgun in your car unless you possess a concealed pistol license."

So I can get out of my car with my unloaded firearm and load her up..........should have kept my CZ

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Here's the overview on Washington state gun laws:
    RCW 9.41: Chapter 9.41 RCW: Firearms and dangerous weapons

And specifically, RCW 9.41.050:

Carrying firearms.

(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

(4) Nothing in this section permits the possession of firearms illegal to possess under state or federal law.
    That's as specific as you're going to find. Open carry is legal in WA and requires NO permissions or paperwork of any kind. Naturally, this liberty doesn't apply to people (e.g., convicts, certified crazies, etc.) who have been prohibited from carrying a firearm.

Posted "No Guns" signs do not carry the force of law. As in most states, you cannot carry into court buildings, K-12 public schools, or jailhouses. You are also prohibited from carrying in any area that is restricted to persons age 21+ (bars/taverns). You may carry in liquor stores (these do not have an age restriction) and you may carry in restaurants that serve alcohol but NOT in the restaurant's designated "bar" area. The law requires that these areas be clearly marked as "age 21+ only".
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Links