Anyone know of a shooting club in affiliated with a house of worship???

This is a discussion on Anyone know of a shooting club in affiliated with a house of worship??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a wild thought as I was sitting with my family in church this morning... How about a club to bring worship of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know of a shooting club in affiliated with a house of worship???

Anyone know of a shooting club in affiliated with a house of worship???

I had a wild thought as I was sitting with my family in church this morning... How about a club to bring worship of the lord and firearms together?
    Get together once or twice a month, worship together and talk about firearms and shooting related subjects. Maybe hit the range for target practice or some skeet shooting.
    Do you think anyone would be interested???
    I'd call it Shooting for Heaven...
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

2. Remove Ads

There is something similar in St. Charles County, MO. I don't recall the church name exactly, or the town, but it may be the First Baptist Church of Wentzville. The owner of the gun shop in New Melle teaches gun classes at the church, which is the one she attends. They may also have a shooting club that shoots periodically.

I don't know any other details other than they've been doing this awhile. I have not attended there, but did pass on a flyer to a female coworker.

I like the idea.

Check out "Christian Gun Owner" Christian Gun Owner

The website is run by a fellow very active in his church and organizes a firearm/shooting social group at his church. It is a site I stumbled on a while back while researching a particular firearm. Lots of good info on there, even if you're like me and consider yourself atheist. :)
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

I have joked with my local 'supplier' (i.e., gun dealer) that we should set up a range in our church's fellowship hall in order to give him a local place for the range portion of the class for one's CWFL.

They used to have Rod and Gun Clubs.
    We could call ours the God and Gun Club.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I have 2 friends that I go the range with. One of them is an ordained pastor. That's about as close to church as it gets with the guns. We do have what we call "bullets, babes and beer" night. Those are for nights we go out to shoot with our wives and then grab some chicken wings and a beer after.

My dads a pastor and his church has 300 acres, they already have a trap and skeet range. They are waiting till next year when they get NRA budget to build a rifle and pistol range.

Quote Originally Posted by dnealstx View Post
    My dads a pastor and his church has 300 acres, they already have a trap and skeet range. They are waiting till next year when they get NRA budget to build a rifle and pistol range.
    That is Awesome!!! I think it could be a great thing to do here...possibly open some eyes

It's just another I love about tx. They also do chl classes at the church. So id guess right now including all the staff they probably have 150+ people carrying. If anyone ever came in their church shooting it would be a crazy sight.

We had a shooting club of sorts at my church....basically get those who wanted to shoot to meet up on a Saturday morning and we'd shoot skeet, rifles, and pistols. More often than not, it was men and their sons...but got the occassional wife/daughter combination. It was very successful.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

We have several "sportsmen's banquets" in the area. A mens group at the church I used to attend did several range days. One included the local STAR team from the sheriffs Dept. I was part of a mens group that revolved around fly fishing, but we talked about shooting a lot too. One church I was looking at had the pastor and several deacons plus a few others looking to start a shooting group.

Here's the video from the Pointman 08 retreat. Full autos, flash bangs, snipers, pistols..... how in the world did I miss going to this! It ties into the book Pointman actually, I just wish I had know it was this cool!

YouTube - Point Man 2008
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    We have several "sportsmen's banquets" in the area. A mens group at the church I used to attend did several range days. One included the local STAR team from the sheriffs Dept. I was part of a mens group that revolved around fly fishing, but we talked about shooting a lot too. One church I was looking at had the pastor and several deacons plus a few others looking to start a shooting group.

Here's the video from the Pointman 08 retreat. Full autos, flash bangs, snipers, pistols..... how in the world did I miss going to this! It ties into the book Pointman actually, I just wish I had know it was this cool!

YouTube - Point Man 2008
    That is sweet,,,looks more like a SWAT training BBQ. well I think I will try to get something started at my church

Almost all the guys I go shooting with come from my church. I have some land out "in the sticks" on which I have a range and the guys from church just happen to be the ones who show up regularly - so it's turned into a church shooting club by default.

Personally, I dont think that the actual church has any place doing anything but what it is commanded to do. I dont think a church should hold a talant show or fund raiser for example. Relating to this, i dont think a church should have a range in its basement that people pay to go to during the week.
    Having said that, I am all for a group of people from church going to the range, all for a christian-based range, etc. The owner of the range I go to is christian and says a prayer before each match. nothing wrong with god fearing ppl getting together and doin some shootin!
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    Personally, I dont think that the actual church has any place doing anything but what it is commanded to do.
    Since the Church is commanded to make disciples of Christ, I think using peoples interests to pull them in is a good thing. Like I said earlier, I have been part of a mens group that was based on all of us fly fishing. And I am a member on a Christian fly fishing board. Both have been very positive for me and I have met some great Christian men in the process.

Sandman1212, yeah that's the local STAR team. Special Tactics and Response IIRC. What they call SWAT around here.

Since we are talking shooting and church, this is the book they were studying in the above video. It starts off with a military metaphor and goes from there. I'm not affiliated with the book, but have read it. It makes for a good men's study if anyone wanted to start off a group that way.

Amazon.com: Point Man: How a Man Can Lead His Family (9780880706438): Steve Farrar: Books
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Michigan pastors getting training

This was on a local station. The Michigan State Police held a seminar on concealed carry and dealing with weapons, for ministers.
    They also interviewed several ministers that carried in church.

For centuries, they were places of quiet, peace, solitude and oftentimes a safe haven | abc12.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links