Had to shoot at a dog while walking down my own street

This is a discussion on Had to shoot at a dog while walking down my own street within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well today I was walking my dog today like i normally do, I walked a few houses down and as I was going down the ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Had to shoot at a dog while walking down my own street

Had to shoot at a dog while walking down my own street

Well today I was walking my dog today like i normally do, I walked a few houses down and as I was going down the street toward a busy intersection, I saw someone on another street having a cookout in their big front yard. Suddenly this dog, leaps out of the crowd thru the yard and crosses the street and charges after me and my dog baking and growling, they were calling for it.

My dog was not afraid and I was doing everything I could to hold him back. (a rotti) I tried to turn around and walk the other way. Then the dog circles around us and gets in my dogs face. Thats when I pulled out my 380 and shot towards the ground. the dog ran, (my dog apparently isint gun shy) and I called the police.

Meanwhile 2 guys get in a truck and drives over (im thinking Oh sH..). He asked me if i shot a real gun, I said no (to prevent an argument) but I told him I was calling the police because I want a report. I told him his dog should have been on a leash. So he tried say it was someone elses dog etc. and they were building a fence for it, so then he left.

The police showed up, asked if i had a weapon license (yes) and he said he completely agrees its my right to carry and defend myself and its ok to walk down the street with my dog, but he recommended i should get can of pepper spray because he dosent want me to find my self in a civil suit or have problems come up from shooting in a neighborhood. He said I could leave. He didnt ask to see any id. and I forgot to ask for a report. He then drove over to their place, I have no idea what he said to them. Overall very professional.

I know its just a dog incident but just wanted to give people a scenario to think about. Imean Ive heard of people getting killed by packs of wild dogs. I called my mother and told her, of course its my fault in so many words for even carrying a gun. Comments? BTW i gotta clean my gun, it failed to feed.

2. Remove Ads

I call "Bravo Sierra" on anyone who discharges their weapon into the ground as a scare tactic, whether it's to scare an animal or otherwise. Not a good move. Total lack of preparation, mindset, SA, training, etc. I'm totally aghast...I just need to be quiet and move on to another thread....SIGH!!! JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I'm glad you and yours came out ok on this. Of course it was someone else's dog, it always is. I'm not sure where you live, so I'm not up to the civil part of what the LEO was speaking of (unless he's speaking of the bullet going somewhere other then in the dog for here it's acceptable to defend yourself in that type of situation) except you might get a you should not shoot a weapon inside the city limit talk to or citation if their being jerkish which most of the time their not). Other then that most of our LEOs around here don't want to deal with the animal ordinances so they don't keep up to par with them, they refer them to us to deal with.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I have to agree with First Sgt. You're lucky you didn't get arrested.

Since it was just standing there growling and not charging at you, I think you should have tried yelling at it and gesturing for it to go home...it probably would have turned tail. Also since the owners were in the immediate vicinity, they could have come over to take the dog back. Since it wasn't charging at you but was just blocking your path, I think that means you weren't in immediate danger for you or your dog's life.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

You're lucky you didn't get charged with discharging a firearm in a residential neighborhood. Don't fire a gun unless it is for real!

While I don't generally advocate using pepper spray for defense against humans, I do think it is indeed a good idea for dogs.

What type of .380 did you use, since you mentioned it jammed?

If the officer told your neighbors that you fired, after you said you didn't (a lie) you now have potential issues with people in the neighborhood to contend with.

Good luck with all of that.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I have to agree w/the Shirt and Mr Sir. While I'm glad you, your dog and the other dog all came away unscathed, you could have - and likely should have - been facing a Discharging a Firearm w/in City Limits type of charge. Luckily for you, either you live in a very rare community where such is not a law/ordnance on the books or the officer simply decided - or perhaps forgot - to charge you with same.

Glad to hear that it had a happy ending, tho. Count yourself lucky that this was the worst that which the situation became.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I would also like to recommend like I do to our civic groups that you carry a stick with you (cut off broom handle/wood, aluminum anything about 18 - 24 inches in length while you walk your dog, walk with a cane, they are good also, they are non-lethal in most cases but will get the point across to pestering dogs that cross your path in the future in an aggressive manner.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

The officer was basicly saying that I potentially opened my self up to someone suing me for shooting thier dog (I guess) BTw, I pointed it in the direction of the dog but i missed so you could say I fired it at the ground. I live in the county, not the city. No way I could live in a city limit. Yea if he wanted to give me a hard time, he could have got me for something, maybe firing within 1000 ft of a house or shooting on sunday or somthing. Fortunately i didnt give an address to anyone so they dont know where i live.

I dont think its right for me to have to deal with 2 dogs fighting and me paying a vet bill when i could have shot it. They violated county leash laws. They were just standing there in thier yard. didnt run over or anything. Im never leaving my property on foot again, so this wont happen again.

I have a Keltec P3AT probly just needs cleaning.

BTW when is it considered for real? After hes chewing on me? I bet the cop would have shot it

The gun should stay holstered unless you intend to shoot.OMO
    Pepper spray could have taken care of that situation without breaking any laws. Again, OMO.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Glad things turned out okay. One thing to consider: I would never waste a round on a warning shot, be it a person or an animal, mostly in part due to the situation which happened to you- your gun jammed. Now your one guaranteed round is gone. What if the dog actually attacks now? You've got to try and rack the slide while fighting off the dog...
    Good to hear you're OK

I MEANT to shoot it, I wasent expecting for it to run afterwards. sorry that wasent clear. Im obviously a bad shot. I need practice. Imean, im glad i didnt hit it at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by 1899 View Post
    BTw, I pointed it in the direction of the dog but i missed so you could say I fired it at the ground.
    First you said you shot at the ground to scare the dog. Now you're saying you tried to shoot the dog, but you missed? Is the reason you didn't finish the dog off due to the fact that your gun malfunctioned?

BTW when is it considered for real? After hes chewing on me? I bet the cop would have shot it
    You have to be in "immediate" threat of physical harm, and you have to be able to convince whomever you talk to that you were in an immediate threat.

If the dog bites you or your dog, then I don't think anyone's going to contest your right to shoot it...and you have evidence, so it won't be hard to prove that you were justified.

If you had shot at it WHILE it was running at you, I think it would be easier to defend your position of feeling like you were in an immediate threat because you may have thought it was going to keep running and bite you. But you didn't shoot it then, and that's not what happened. It stopped running, and stood there growling at you. You are no longer in an immediate threat when it stopped running. That is my opinion at least. I don't think there's a cut and dry rule.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

VIP Member
    First, I think you need to know the law, not what some Officer told you. That's hearsay.

I don't believe you were being attacked by that dog, your dog was. In some states, it is not lawful to kill someone's dog to protect property. Yeah I know, but according to the law your dog is property.

Second, get the pepper spray and only use your weapon when threat to human life is imminent. Even then, thereís no guarantee you wonít be sued, assuming you survive.

Lastly, I think cleaning that gun isnít going to make it reliable enough to bet your life on. I would suggest a more reliable weapon.

Just my 2 cents.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

You shouldn't have pulled and shot the dog unless you intended to hit and kill your target.

You shouldn't have lied about discharging the firearm to anyone.

You shouldn't have come here and told everyone about your fail.

That said, glad you're safe.
    Inter arma enim silent leges
    "For among times of arms, the laws fall mute"

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links