I got "made" wearing my body armor, sort of - Page 2

I got "made" wearing my body armor, sort of

This is a discussion on I got "made" wearing my body armor, sort of within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; you have got to be hot. i wear a 3a on raids and take downs. and it gets hot, i say again - hot....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I got "made" wearing my body armor, sort of

you have got to be hot. i wear a 3a on raids and take downs. and it gets hot, i say again - hot.

Lead Moderator
    I have considered wearing BA for my job, I do own a vest for night time noises I may want to check out.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako
    you have got to be hot. i wear a 3a on raids and take downs. and it gets hot, i say again - hot.

You should check out underarmour moisture wicking shirts. Thats what I've been using. Make sure to get the hot gear version. I have the cold gear one thats made for cold temps and it actually works pretty well for me, I guess it's because I'm so thin. I've also been drinking about 1/2 gallon of water per day. That seems to really help keep my temp down.
    What gun would Jesus Carry?

What BA do you have? I'm interested in getting one to try out myself.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveTwo
    What BA do you have? I'm interested in getting one to try out myself.
    It's a protective products international, scorpion level IIIA

Here is a link to mine on their website.

http://body-armor.com/vest_style_display.php?style=3&

Here is a link to the different types they offer. Mine is the armorlite series.

I got lucky and scored this one in a local pawn shop for $90 bucks. I bought it thinking it was a level II because thats what the store owner thought it was. Then I opened the panels and saw what it really was. It's practically like new and was made in 2003.
    What gun would Jesus Carry?

Since I got back into the security field, I sometimes wear a vest when I'm working. This depends on the job assignment. If it's unarmed security (seems like most security jobs in MI are unarmed...wierd if you ask me) then I don't bother with the vest. Mostly cause I don't plan on doing anything really stupid that might get me shot, and most of those places are pretty safe.

IF the job is armed security, then I will wear a vest. If it's excutive protection, not only do I wear a vest, but I tend to have 3 or more handguns as well. Never know when or how many BUGs you'll need.

While I wouldn't wear one off duty, if anyone feels comfortable doing so, good for them!

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    The instructor where I took my CCW qualification course wore a protective vest while at the range. He says he sees too much careless handling and feels better with it. I don't recall the brand or level. If you want to wear it, why not.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    You want to wear a vest,go fer it. For me personally,I do not worry about vest wearers hurting "the cause". Make sure that it is legal in your part of the country though. That WILL hurt the cause.

Just gotta say,the same people that will "down" you for wanting to wear a vest,are the same people that carry 2 or 3 firearms,30-50 rds. of ammo,a blade or two,and a light of some sort. Ask them why they do this.(BTW I say to those people also,"go fer it".)

You want added protection,it's not hurting me or my family, good on ya. -------

Worked briefly as contract security for a Sandusky hospital. There was a crack house to its north, one to its south, one to its east and one to its west; the parking lot was an open air drug market in warmer weather, and the hospital, in an effort to curry public opinion, forbade its contract security officers to carry sidearms, nor anything more threatening than a smile. One officer, after being accosted by a local hood rat with a knife, came to work the next night wearing body armor under his uniform shirt.
    The hospital had him removed from the site.
    When the security firm asked why, the hospital said it promoted the wrong image for the hospital.
    I left that job just as quickly as I could!

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I own and wear BA when I'm out serving legal papers, doing evictions or making arrests. But I can't wait to take it off as soon as the job is done! VERY uncomfortable, even with the wicking shirts under it.

More power to someone who "wants" to wear one but doesn't "need" to wear one due to occupational hazards.

My standby line if someone spots a bulge and asks "what is that" or "is that a gun" is "colostomy bag." It will no doubt get extra room.

This approach is not advised if you and the other party are evaluating each other for romantic involvement.

do it

If your comfortable with it, wear it.

JimB

Is there one that is both bullet and knife resistant that folks would recommend?
    Armed & Dangerous...and Inconspicuous...

VIP Member
    Dang! When the three boys each turned 18 they got an 870 and an SKS. When they turned 21 they each got a 45. I wish I had fitted them for BA at the same time. It might be a hard sell to the missus. The family that wears, cares.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    You wanna wear, it wear it. Someone doesn't like it? Tough toenails for them.

That "colostomy bag" deal ought to do the trick. Unless (as noted), she's (or he, I try not to be presumptious or sexist) potentially the second half of your new couple.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links