I got "made" wearing my body armor, sort of

This is a discussion on I got "made" wearing my body armor, sort of within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you remember from a past post I decided to add my level 3A vest to my daily carry rutine so I've been experimenting for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I got "made" wearing my body armor, sort of

I got "made" wearing my body armor, sort of

If you remember from a past post I decided to add my level 3A vest to my daily carry rutine so I've been experimenting for about a month and have gone undetected so far, until now. I was at my cousins graduation so I had to give quite a few hugs. Here's what happened when people asked what I was wearing underneath, the interaction went something like this.

Relative: Come here, give me a hug!

Me: Oh, OK

Relative: Oh, what's that your wearing under your shirt?

ME: Oh thats just my body warmer.

Relative: Oh, I guess it is pretty cold today, maybe I should get one of those.

Thank god nobody asked me where to buy one because I didn't think that far ahead yet. The cool thing is that I didn't have to lie to family because the vest really is 99.9% or maybe even 100% of the time if I'm lucky, just a "body warmer" and it really does make me feel "warm and fuzzy" knowing I have a little extra advantage over a BG.

BTW, I know of one other relative at the get together that was armed and carries everywhere just as I, he carries a SIG P220. I carry a P226. I don't think he wears a vest though.

Also, I just thought it was kind of funny how my underarmour shirt really is for underneath my armor. I bet people are wondering why I wear that thing underneath my shirts everyday. I should probably get it in a few different colors to spice thing up a bit. I know they have red, white, black, and blue ones.
    What gun would Jesus Carry?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    You're a non LEO & you're wearing Threat Level IIIA B.A. every day?
    Are you living in a really dangerous environment like say with lots of drive by shootings & stuff?

I sure would have a bit of trouble doing that unless we were on the verge of a nationwide revolution.

You know what they say...

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

I figure if I can get away with it, why not have the extra advantage? Now, level 3 with plates and helmet etc like a swat team, that to me is not something I could wear everyday. As you can see from my post, I can wear a level 3A undetected, so I ask, why not?

QKShooter does have a valid question--why wear body armor all of the time? "Extra advantage"?--do you have a ClassIII weapon as a "backup"?

IMHO--it's a little over the top and may subject yourself to further scrutiny by PO should you be pulled over. Those who wear body armor knows what it looks like (despite concealment). After wearing a couple versions of body armor in Iraq (Point Blank and "undercover" models) I'm glad I don't wear it everyday. It would be different if I was under constant threat of being shot--i.e. a definitive and specific threat for a period of time.

Please don't give anti-gunners more excuses to criticize us--not everyone wears body armor.

Mike in VA

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229
    QKShooter does have a valid question--why wear body armor all of the time? "Extra advantage"?--do you have a ClassIII weapon as a "backup"?

I'ts not legal for me to carry a classIII weapon. It is legal for me to wear a protective vest. Therefore I will continue to do so despite what any anti-gunners think. Sorry, If you think I hurt our cause, but my life is more important than some anti-gunners opinion. I'm not trying to make everyone wear body armor, I guess it's just something that works for me. Anyway, I thought you guys carry guns? It seems like you are using the same arguments against body armor that anti-gunners use when it comes to people carrying guns. Haven't you ever heard the anti's say, " Carrying a gun is extreme, I mean, the chances of you ever needing it are slim to none. Therefore why carry one blah blah blah."

Do you guys carry an extra mag on your person? Why?

I say good on you. If it works for you and you are comfortable and confident, then I'm happy for you. Even if I wasn't happy for you I would respect your right to wear it.

I've been thinking of buying a vest for wear at the range. I do IDPA with strangers and I'm a senior RO at my range. I see a lot of noobs and questionable gun handling. It would give me warm and fuzzies to wear it too. I can't personally rationalize it for everday wear though.

If you can wear it comfortably and it makes you feel better, go for it. Its a bit overkill for my area though. Im with ya on the better to have and not need thinking but im about 99.999 percent sure Im never gonna need a vest around here, but your right - ya never know.

If ya wear that, why not just go all the way and wear one with the SAPI plates and the MOLLE loops in it as well?

Quote Originally Posted by jiggz01
    You know what they say...

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

I figure if I can get away with it, why not have the extra advantage? Now, level 3 with plates and helmet etc like a swat team, that to me is not something I could wear everyday. As you can see from my post, I can wear a level 3A undetected, so I ask, why not?
    I don't disagree with your logic in choosing to wear body armor, or wearing level 3 if you are going to wear armor.

What I do see from your post, however, is that you can't wear level 3A undetected. Your relatives noticed that you were wearing something unusual, and you had to prevaricate to cover (regardless of how you rationalize your explanation). Depending on how you dress, your body armor will be recognized by those who have worn armor - your chest and back may appear too uniform and featureless.

Whether or not you wear body armor is up to you. The title of your post says you got made. The content of your post says it raised questions in a routine social setting. These would be reason enough for me to reconsider such a high-dollar, high-aggravation investment.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

jiggz said he only got made because of a hug, not from visual ques.

I've worn a level II vest when out at a nightclub. Nobody had a clue. The only difference I saw was that guys gave me more room, probably because I was a little more "buff".

Administrator
    No...really more power to you if you can do it & function comfortably on a daily basis.

I'm best guessing it would make for a mighty awful warm summer though.

I know that when the weather gets hot & humid here...I am usually wearing Cotton T~Shirts & would probably rather not even wear that.

It's just a highly unusual thing for most C Carry Non LEO Citizens to do so...please don't confuse any normal surprised reactions with malicious condemnation.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    More power to you, if you can tolerate the heat, weight and bulk. I live in Florida, so I would have to be highly motivated to wear BA.

I've always thought that if BA was styled so as to not be noticeable (shall we say "concealed"?), more people would wear it.

In the winter, it would be fine here but in the summer it would cook you

Me personally, I say good for him for trying something new. I will admit that I own 3A armor with a 4 trama plate but it was mostly due to the state that I was living in was threatening to ban from civilian sales. It was more of an "up yours" as to the reason that I bought it.

I'm glad I have it "just in case" that I need it but as pointed out, you never know when you "may need it" and if you are not near it then it's useless to you. One of the reasons that most of us here that can, do, carry our firearms 16/7 (or 24/7 if you're really hard core lol) because we don't know when we may need them but have them always in case that need comes to being.

Wayne

Interesting thread. Just don't get caught wearing that body armor in NJ. If I'm not mistaken it is illegal for civilian use there.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Senior Moderator
    If I'm not mistaken it is illegal for civilian use there.
    I dont know if it is or not, but that would be about par for NJ.

I wore body amour from noon till midnight last Saturday and it was 93 degrees out. I sweated like you wouldnt beleive. I drank 12 half liter bottles of water and took only one leak all day and night long.

I was tired, weak and wore out when the day was over. My amour was saturated with sweat.

As far as Im concerned, anyone that wears body armour all day long in the heat of the Summer because they WANT TO, rather than NEED TO is quite the man...and a tough one at that....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links