Summer

This is a discussion on Summer within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, this being my first summer CCW has been a lesson in itself. My first situation started with clothing, since you wear less you have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer

Summer

Well, this being my first summer CCW has been a lesson in itself.
    My first situation started with clothing, since you wear less you have to hide your gun better. Since I carry appendix I found that my clothing were O.K.. At first I was concerned but I would check all angles and in different locations outside my home. Good feeling there!
    Next, situation came up this Sunday. The family spent the day at the park, nice and hot day. At one moment as we were walking the trail I decided to draw. It was a put the hand on the handle and not actually draw the gun routine. To my surprise the handle was soaked in sweat, not good. A lesson learned-- always wear a second T shirts to absorb the sweat.
    Let's see what else summer brings. I am lucky to trouble shoot this know!

2. Remove Ads

A "wife-beater" shirt works well between your skin and gun. They're cheap and very light. I bought a stack of them for summer wear.
    NRA Life Member

...drawing a loaded gun while walking with people in a park, just for fun? This game could have been a pain.

x2 on the cheap wife beaters. keeps the gun dry and protects the skin from the holster rubbing you raw.

And for some reason wife beaters and guns go well together...
    Knowing is half the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    ...drawing a loaded gun while walking with people in a park, just for fun? This game could have been a pain.
    I did not draw.
    If you read the post, I just put my hand on the gun handle.
    I do not think drawing a gun for practice in public is a wise idea!

VIP Member
    I have no idea what lingo ‘wife beater’ means, but around here the summer heat tips 116 so nothing is sweat proof. I wear an OWB with a light T-shirt or Hawaiian style shirt and take my chances.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    "Wife beater" is a tank top. And although nothing is sweat proof, any undershirt will help keep your gun better protected from your "elements".
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I try to stay out of the heat as much as possible. I burn under a 25 watt bulb! Also burned 3-4 times every summer as a kid, now having things cut out, frozen off, etc. If we had only known what the sun would do to us over time we might have taken more precautions back when it made a difference. Now the tell me that most sunscreens actually promote cancer! You just can't win! Keep your powder dry!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I have no idea what lingo ‘wife beater’ means, but around here the summer heat tips 116 so nothing is sweat proof. I wear an OWB with a light T-shirt or Hawaiian style shirt and take my chances.
    This, my friend, is a wife beater, being worn by a wife beater (hence the name):

"In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I try to stay out of the heat as much as possible. I burn under a 25 watt bulb! Also burned 3-4 times every summer as a kid, now having things cut out, frozen off, etc. If we had only known what the sun would do to us over time we might have taken more precautions back when it made a difference. Now the tell me that most sunscreens actually promote cancer! You just can't win! Keep your powder dry!

I am the same way. SPF 100 will not protect me from the sun. I wear a "V" neck T-shirt when i carry.

Quote Originally Posted by bornlucky View Post
    I did not draw.
    If you read the post, I just put my hand on the gun handle.
    I do not think drawing a gun for practice in public is a wise idea!
    I just read it, you said you decided to draw... =D

Quote Originally Posted by AceHi View Post
    A "wife-beater" shirt works well between your skin and gun. They're cheap and very light. I bought a stack of them for summer wear.
    I get the Tall ones....stay tucked much better.

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

I always did about the same thing; I would "appendix" carry a Glock 27 or Kahr PM9, but instead of always wearing a 2nd shirt, sometimes I would just pull my underwear up high (loose boxers) between the holster & my skin (not pretty, but funuctional).

I recently tried a Smartcarry with loose jean shorts & untucked t-shirt, it worked great. I wore a belt, but loose. Glock was well hidden, fairly quick access and comfortable. I even wore a white t-shirt, which I would never do with appendix carry.

For summer, when dressing very casual, in gym type shorts, Smartcarry is unbeatable.

As for me! I buy long tailed tee shirts from champs like 4 for $20 in color or plain

The wanna be gang bangers wear them i'm sure you have seen them around.

I cary my ruger p90 with a don hume holster clipped on my belt and weapon goes between the belt and pants.

Ok the handle touches my side but no big deal. I have carried it this way now for a few years, no one, i mean no one can tell it's there.

I have even challenged some local sherrifs to see it and they don't

Never have sweaty grips. I check and clean my weapon often.

I tie die my shirts to draw looks to the shirt and not me. Have had lots of compliments on my tie die job.

Yup just a 68 year old hippie with no weapon! Peace my friends!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links