Parish permit

This is a discussion on Parish permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to this forum and would appreciate help from any informed persons regarding concealed carry in a church "with a Parish permit." I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parish permit

Parish permit

I'm new to this forum and would appreciate help from any informed persons regarding concealed carry in a church "with a Parish permit." I have not heard of such, but just read that term elsewhere. If you know how to find out this info, please let me know. I am a minister and I wish I could legally carry in church. It may not sound right to some, but I know what can happen in a church. Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Ads

Check handgunlaw.us for your State and it should point you in the right direction. Welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Are they referring to a "Parish permit" as one issued by the parish (i.e. what Louisiana refers to their counties)? or something else?

You are not alone as one who (wants to) carry in church...a good number of members here DO carry in church.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Based on the info I can find, the LA legislature does not allow concealed carry in places of worship. There did not appear to be the "except if the church leaders OK it" type language.

To further clarify thus, I would contact your AG's office. If you find out otherwise, I would ask them to refer you to the relevant web site so you can see for yourself what is required.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Right now in this legislative session there is a bill regarding "church carry", I don't know the current status of it, I suspect some version of it will pass?

This is a small excerpt about it from May 13:

Guns should be allowed in houses of worship as a way to protect congregants from attacks, if the pastor or head of the religious body approves, lawmakers said Wednesday. The House voted 74-18 for House Bill 68 by Rep. Henry Burns, R Haughton, sending it to the Senate for debate.

Regarding the parish permit and "church carry", I'm not sure on that, I'd definitely start by speaking to your parish sheriff. Sheriff's usually love to have ministers on their side. If some of your church members are leo's they can, and probably do, carry in church.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Are they referring to a "Parish permit" as one issued by the parish (i.e. what Louisiana refers to their counties)? or something else?

You are not alone as one who (wants to) carry in church...a good number of members here DO carry in church.
    I would think that this is the case. Louisiana is the only state I know that uses the term Parish as a unit of government. Assuming that each Parish is responsible for issuing and recording permits I believe that is what the term means.

HB 68 in Louisiana

Thanks for the input from everyone. I just read this morning on the internet that House Bill 68 in Louisiana passed in the House and now goes to the Senate. It allows cc permit holders to carry in a church.

Jerkalip, you may enjoy BayouShooter.com. Check it out.

Dave

BTW, if its YOUR church and you carry, as long as you don't press charges against yourself, you're okay.

Heya DeafDave...

Quote Originally Posted by ZTF Hitman View Post
    Heya DeafDave...
    Kelly?

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    BTW, if its YOUR church and you carry, as long as you don't press charges against yourself, you're okay.
    I don't believe that's true. There's no exception written into the law for pastors.

If HB68 passes, things will be better, though we'll still have to get permission, have it announced in front of the congregation, and take a vague "tactical training" course every year. Still, it beats no carry at all.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    I don't believe that's true. There's no exception written into the law for pastors.

If HB68 passes, things will be better, though we'll still have to get permission, have it announced in front of the congregation, and take a vague "tactical training" course every year. Still, it beats no carry at all.
    Well, how is the pastor going to be arrested if he doesn't complain to LE or press charges? I know its illegal to have a firearm in a place of worship, but if the administrator of said place is the holder, then the issue will never come to light.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Well, how is the pastor going to be arrested if he doesn't complain to LE or press charges? I know its illegal to have a firearm in a place of worship, but if the administrator of said place is the holder, then the issue will never come to light.
    All it takes for someone else at the church, whether a parishioner, a visitor, another church leader, an off-duty cop, etc to notice a gun-shaped print or catch a flash of a barrel or grip and call in a MWAG. The DA will take care of pressing charges, whether the pastor wants to or not.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

I honestly thought it was up to the pastor as to whether or not charges should be pressed.

Yes, It's me, Dave...I haven't been on this site in a bit....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links