Friend Has Turned the Corner

This is a discussion on Friend Has Turned the Corner within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A co-worker who has outspokenly expressed views in the past consistent with those including some anti-gun sentiments for many years came to me yesterday and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Friend Has Turned the Corner

A co-worker who has outspokenly expressed views in the past consistent with those including some anti-gun sentiments for many years came to me yesterday and asked me to teach her daughter about guns, how to shoot, and help her pick one out to buy...and then said she wanted to be next on the list.

She said her daughter's neighbor is a major meth head and threatened to kill her and then showed up at her back door with two very large knives. She called the police and had another neighbor witness said events and the police said since they didn't see it there was nothing they could do (which blows my mind, a verbal threat to kill and witnessed beating on the back door with two large knives nd they can do nothing???).

Her daughter is staying with her for now and we are going to go to a friend's place one evening this week and try out a number of my handguns. Of course, the first thing is teaching the GUN SAFETY RULES!!! I'm going to e-mail her some things to read before we go.

As her and I talked yesterday, it was as if a light switch has gone off in her head. It just boggles my mind that for some folks something has to happen to them or a loved one before they get it. I'm perfectly capable of seeing what happens to others and realizing it could be me and my family.

In any event, I'm glad that her and her daughter are taking steps to protect themselves and also glad that I have the opportunity to help them. Through our conversations over the years, we've discussed various disparities between our views and when this happened she said the first thing she told her daughter was, "you need a gun and my co-worker is just the person to help you." Just thought I would share this turn of events.
    Last edited by BugDude; June 8th, 2010 at 11:09 PM. Reason: changed description of my friend
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Gee....why isn't she relying on the police to protect them?

Funny how reality changes a point of view....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Good work, BugDude! Honesty, patience and goodwill have won the day. Let us know how things go.

At least they woke up and smelled the coffee before the body bag had to be rolled out! Will mother and daughter get their CCW's? Violent confrontation could happen outside of the home.
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Glad to hear it. A little education and patience goes along way. I hope it serves them well
    Glock 19
    Glock 23

I have the fever,

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    She called the police and had another neighbor witness said events and the police said since they didn't see it there was nothing they could do (which blows my mind, a verbal threat to kill and witnessed beating on the back door with two large knives nd they can do nothing???).
    Threaten a politician and see what the police will do?
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The police are wrong! They aren't witnesses when a bank gets robbed, yet they arrest the robbers. With a witness, she can press charges or, in many states, make a citizens' arrest. The police will have to act. Given the mentality of the neighbor in question, the best route make be her own SD.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Inside every anti-gun person is a pro-gun person who simply hasn't yet been rolled. (Some are deeper inside than others).

PC

To the OP, I hope that if this woman does make the decision to become an owner that she also gets some basic training and practice so she's proficient and competent.
    Last edited by JD; June 8th, 2010 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Political content, replying to a removed post
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I'm NOT an expert (or even a novice) on legal issues, but it seems to me that the daughter should place a call to the local DA, and tell the DA's office about the threats AND the wittnesses (maybe even have the wittnesses write up and notarize their statements) and the lack of police responsiveness... (maybe also send the story to a local news media outlet)
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Congrats! Big Dude, see those talks you had with her over the years paid off in the long run! Show her your SA XD40 SC, that would really work well in a knife fight! Stay safe!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

This whole 'reality thing' must be wreaking havock on thier 'near-perfect universe'.

Really though, Bravo Zulu on being there for them.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Glad to hear she's seen the light. I imagine she was willing to turn to you for help because you hadn't spent the last X number of years sneering at her, calling her a sheep, etc?

Better late than never! Maybe she'll tell her friends that guns can be good for something, get them thinking differently, too.

Good that this person came around and is now being awakened to reality. There have been threads on here that once a violent or traumatic event happens, it is the catalyst that turns persons around to re-thinking about firearms. Sad that it has to happen before they turn.

It does seem however that a lot of anti-gun people are indeed in the Liberal mindset but not all. It is the philosophy of liberalism that fosters that belief that we do not need firearms because they kill and only police and military need them. It's just a utopian dream that one day when people can no longer keep firearms, then all the gun violence will go away. Fat chance.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    She called the police and had another neighbor witness said events and the police said since they didn't see it there was nothing they could do (which blows my mind, a verbal threat to kill and witnessed beating on the back door with two large knives nd they can do nothing???).
    I learned that same lesson in college in the '70s when the wannabe "hitman" bodyguard of the dope dealer who lived across the hall from me, mistakenly thought that some friends and I had gotten him, his "boss" and some of his dissatisfied customers expelled. The customers, a bunch of fraternity pledges, had given the dealer money for dope, which he gave to a townie, sight unseen. Needless to say, he disappeared with the money, dope never to be delivered. The frat rats showed up one night demanding their money back. We thought they were townies there to rob somebody. We ran the dorm ourselves and told them that they could do whatever they wanted to the dope dealer OUTSIDE the dorm, but they needed to leave, IMMEDIATELY.

Somebody else in the dorm complained to the school and the lot of them were expelled.

The "hitman" stopped my best friend while he was driving the local school bus and threatened to have us all killed. My friend finished his school bus route and alerted us. We armed up, cross leveling firearms and ammunition as necessary. We then went to the Fulton, MO PD. They flat out refused to do ANYTHING. But they did tell us that the minute that one of us was killed or injured, they'd spring into action. We then went to the Calloway County Sheriff's Department. The Sheriff likewise told us that there was nothing he could do. He however pointedly noted how important the right of self-defense was in Missouri <wink-wink, nudge-nudge>. Knowing that we were completely on our own, we took the hint and several of us began illegally carrying.

We eventually had a meeting with the "hit man", telling him that in fact we had NOT gotten him expelled, but be that as it may, if anything happened to any of us, he would end up being very sad about it.

This was at the end of the fall semester. I ended up typing several term papers with an Ithaca Model 37 Deer Slayer Police Special across my knees.

NO, the police are NOT going to protect you when you're in immediate danger.

They don't have to do it, some of them don't want to do it, and they, regardless of their wishes, can't do it.

Protect yourself or just don't get protected AT ALL.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links